oh_my_hat

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2000
one-out in the goal squar
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Tottenham
At last a decent sentence given in Australia as opposed to the normal slap on the wrist. 55 years should give him some time to think about things.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2002/08/item20020815173149_1.htm

Gang rape 'leader' sentenced to 55 years

A young Sydney man will be aged in his 60s when he can apply for parole for the gang rape of four women in Sydney almost two years ago.

A Sydney courtroom was cleared by police as the rapist's family reacted angrily to the 55-year prison sentence imposed on the 20-year-old Sydney man.

In dramatic scenes inside the New South Wales District Court family and friends of the 20-year-old convicted rapist shrieked, cried and collapsed as Judge Michael Finnane read out his decision to impose the maximum jail term allowable.

He imposed a non-parole period of 40 years, ensuring the man will spend most of his life in prison for raping four young women in three separate group attacks in south-western Sydney in August 2000.

Judge Finnane said the prisoner was a menace to civilised society, a bully and a coward who had led a gang of brutal rapists, some of whom have never been caught.

In condemning the rapists for showing no remorse or contrition and treating the case as a joke, Judge Finnane also praised the courage of the young women in the face of their gang attacks and for their bravery for bringing their rapists to justice.

One of the rape victims has expressed her joy at the sentence.

"I'm happy, I'm really happy with the time. I've got the next 40 years to just have a blast," one of the women said.

Another of the young victims said she saw "pure evil" when she looked her attacker in the eyes in court.

Sentence

New South Wales Attorney General Bob Debus says the sentence is in line with community expectations.

He says if it sets a new benchmark for the crime of gang rape, so be it.

"The judge has made very clear that he believes that he's actually responding to the needs of justice and to the expectations of the community.

"If that in turn means that sentences for this particular kind of heinous crime are going up, well then that's the way it's got to be."

However, the Law Council of Australia says the penalty is too harsh.

The council's spokesman, John North, says it will offend the families of other victims of crime whose attackers were jailed for far less time.

"We must keep a sense of proportion in our criminal justice system," he said.

"We can't lock everybody up forever or we will just turn back to the sort of society that founded Australia in the first place, with transportation and ridiculous sentences for minor crimes."

I hope he rots in Jail.

Now we wait for the Muslim community to come out and call the justice system intolerant of their community.

How much further will this go on. Racism is alive and well in Sydney towards Muslims and they keep digging a bigger hole for themselves.

I.E A gym that discriminates against all woman bar their own.

Our national identity is decaying by the day.

:mad:

I was overjoyed for the woman when I heard 55 years.

I even had a tear in my eye. Being forced to engage in Sexual activity is the most frightening thing anybody could experience.

Originally posted by Diego
I hope he rots in Jail.

Now we wait for the Muslim community to come out and call the justice system intolerant of their community.

As the Judge explained......If it sets a precedent..... and I bloody well hope so. The system has sucked and regardless of whom it is, the boy did the crime. Now pay the price you bastard......:mad:

Originally posted by Hank Jones
I also hope they make the little bastard shower with the 'real men' too.

My PC leanings are forgotten when it comes to rape. I hope they get more of his 'gang' and throw all the fu**ers to the wolves in prison.

Yep my 'left wing' leanings are put on hold for someone like this as well. Good on the judge in this instance.

for me, it is a case of whether the punishment fits the crime. sentences like this invariably raises the issue of which crimes are worse, and therefore deserve harsher penalties. For instance, a lot of murderers get less jail time - does this mean that rape is worse than murder, or vice versa? Does this mean that society condones murder more than rape? I don't think such a comparison can be made. I believe sentences should be done on a case by case scenario. Still, there will be lots of families of murder victims asking the question of why the killers didn't get such a harsh sentence as well.

devil's advocate aside, whilst I think the sentence for this particular case is harsh, I would find it very difficult to look into the eyes of the victims and say that the sentence is not justified. it was a particularly heinous and cowardly crime, and I believe that the guilty should be severely punished. I just fear for the victims should this sentence be reduced via appeal, which is a real possibility, which would subject the girls to further court proceedings and possibly more pain and suffering.

The council's spokesman, John North, says it will offend the families of other victims of crime whose attackers were jailed for far less time.

this has to be one of the most ridiculous statements ive ever heard. i'm sure the families of all rape victims everywhere would be delighted with the severity of this penalty.

Originally posted by sussudio
for me, it is a case of whether the punishment fits the crime. sentences like this invariably raises the issue of which crimes are worse, and therefore deserve harsher penalties. For instance, a lot of murderers get less jail time - does this mean that rape is worse than murder, or vice versa? Does this mean that society condones murder more than rape? I don't think such a comparison can be made. I believe sentences should be done on a case by case scenario. Still, there will be lots of families of murder victims asking the question of why the killers didn't get such a harsh sentence as well.

I think it's a bit simplistic to reduce it to a simple rape vs murder scenario. As you have posted, sentences should be made on a case by case scenario. There are a number of murderers (about half a dozen I think) in Victoria who are being kept in gaol at the governor's pleasure because the way in which their crimes were committed were so offensive and their chances of rehabilitation so limited that they justice system believes that they should never be let free.

In the case at hand, it wasn't simply a rape. There were a series of gang rapes with the victims attacked many times in the one day (even going as far as sending their mates SMS messages inviting them to take advantage of their victims), and the perpetrators tried to cover up at least one of their crimes (by hosing down their victim to remove any DNA evidence). The only murder equivalent to this crime would be Ivan Milat's backpacker murders.

55 years is fair enough. From my reading of the case, the perpetrator of the crime knew what he was doing, and in ruining the lives of his victims in the way that he did, he's given up the right to live in our society.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Shinboners
Another point that needs to be made. Some lawyers have been complaining of a "mob rule" mentality to the punishment handed out - giving in to the demands of talkback show hosts and the tabloid media. It might be mob rule, but ask the rape victims how they felt about the mob that attacked them.

Spot on.

I was bloody stoked to hear about the sentence, the prick deserved to go away for a long time. At least the victims can start putting their lives back together without fear that these animals will be back in the street in a couple of years.

What amazed me was the reactions of the family and friends of this git, what did they think was gonna happen?

Shoot'em and send the bill for the bullet to the family

- zero reoffender rate ;)

Seriously, I hope the guards in the protective custody unit look the other way while Bubba and the boys bend this scum over and give him a taste of him own medicine.

Originally posted by Shinboners

I think it's a bit simplistic to reduce it to a simple rape vs murder scenario. As you have posted, sentences should be made on a case by case scenario. There are a number of murderers (about half a dozen I think) in Victoria who are being kept in gaol at the governor's pleasure because the way in which their crimes were committed were so offensive and their chances of rehabilitation so limited that they justice system believes that they should never be let free.

In the case at hand, it wasn't simply a rape. There were a series of gang rapes with the victims attacked many times in the one day (even going as far as sending their mates SMS messages inviting them to take advantage of their victims), and the perpetrators tried to cover up at least one of their crimes (by hosing down their victim to remove any DNA evidence). The only murder equivalent to this crime would be Ivan Milat's backpacker murders.

55 years is fair enough. From my reading of the case, the perpetrator of the crime knew what he was doing, and in ruining the lives of his victims in the way that he did, he's given up the right to live in our society.

Spot on, Shinners. These people are nothing else but vexatious to society. All of them - the gang rapists, Ivan Milat, The Anita Cobby killers. Put them all together in one hell hole and let them stay there forvever. They forfeit the title of human and the right to be treated as human with their actions.
55 years, tough! I wonder if they thought of the life time of torment they have left their victims with.

It will be interesting to see what the punishments for the other conspirators in these crimes will be. I hope these people rot in jail!
It is incomprehensible to me that anyone could do this to another human being, no matter what race they are from.
The bastard got what he deserved. I found it sickening to see his mother and girlfriend still proclaiming his innocence, even though the prosecution had hard evidence against him that had proved he had been one of the main perpetrators of this crime.
Hopefully through this judgement harsher sentences will be handed out to the perpetrators of such heinous crimes.

Bring the eletric chair in. Those scum don't deserve to get 55 years. They deserve to get 100 years in jail.

An SBS TV crew got the crap beaten out of them this afternoon covering the story

"Let's see how you like a good bashing, Lebo style!"

caught on tape allegedly

Originally posted by M29
That guy is really ****ed in the head. I hope he enjoys shower time and the endless arse tearings he will recieve over the next 55 years.
What goes around, comes around. He'll just have to get used to being someone's bitch.

Originally posted by gbear
I found it sickening to see his mother and girlfriend still proclaiming his innocence, even though the prosecution had hard evidence against him that had proved he had been one of the main perpetrators of this crime.

I have some sympathy for the mum. No matter what the crime, most parents will always think that their kids are innocent.

It would be fair to assume that his mum tried to bring him up in the best way possible, and the crimes he committed were so horrendous that she can't comprehend that 1. the son she knows did those crimes and 2. that she somehow failed as a parent in teaching him the difference between right and wrong. Even allowing for cultural differences, I doubt very much that any blame should be laid at her feet. It would be understandable that she will be in a state of denial over his crimes.

My opinion.............. rot in hell you filthy scum ......... 55 years IMO is not enough, a bullet in the head would make me happier.

ok diego here i come
as a muslim
two things bother me
55 years for this crime by the laws of this society is very harsh, ill get to that in the 2nd point, such a sentance in THIS society is likely to invoke
sympathy ,or even pity - towards family etc
or satisfaction
why was his name ommited from most reports, ive read 2-3 articles on this and his name is never mentioned, or was this simply a west australian thing, to prevent the pity/sympathy towards a muslims or to prevent hatred/reactions towards the muslim community?
A very harsh pentalty regardless of anything, the probobility of this sentance is very low, murderors and pedophiles get less. Was his religion a factor? honestly i cant say for certain, but i feel that if he was australian he would not have gotten such a harsh sentance. How much did dolly dun get?

and as a muslim i can honestly say that (if the evidence is undeniable, havent heard much of the case) then he should be deported to saudi arabia where he would be executed through hanging or stoned to death.
Personally i know what if one of the women was my wife/sister/child i would prefer this than to know she had to live with ANY amount of fear that one day he may escape/be released no matter how small that fear may be.
And i think the women and thier relatives would prefer that to.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back