It's all about the Socceroos

• Thread starter Rocco Jones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Dan25

That is pure speculation and you should be shot for putting forward such comments as facts. Not all games are sell-outs. ManU sellout, so do Liverpool and Arsenal. A lot of other don't.

The EPL averages about 30,000 people, per game. If stadiums were of an unlimited size, who knwos what the average would be? We only have 19 million people, remember. In France they can only half fill 25,000 seat stadiums in their domestic league.

ive got stats to prove this all wrong dan.
You reckon the AFL gets better crowds than the EPL.
Now on a core they do. The AFL averaged 34,838 people to their games last year (including finals)....so far this years EPL has average 31,654 to the games.
But if you take into account stadia size its a different story.
The average stadia size in the AFL (including manuka and york) is 42,174.
The average stadia size in the EPL is 37,143.

the capacity to crowd % in the EPL is 85%
the capacity to crowd % in the AFL is 82.6%

that means in the EPL the stadiums are 85% full...whereas in the AFL the stadiums are 82.6% full.

This proves my point that if you give the EPL teams bigger stadiums, they would get a lot more people to the games.

As for game sellouts....this year Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds, Liverpool, Man U, Newcastle, Sunderland, Tottenham all have averages near full house. Man United average 67,564 this year in a 67,800 stadium!!
put another 40,000 chairs in that stadium, and given the waiting list they have and the amount of support - you would probably get an average of 97,000-100,000 to the games!!!

Another 10,000 or so seats were put in Footy Park and the crows crowds went back up to what they got in the early 90s and Ports crowds didnt change.

So Dan - the EPL DO get better crowds than AFL.

Apologise now, bigmouth. I didn't say that. Danny Chook could back me up on that too. I didn't say it had a lack of tactics. Are you stupid? Tell me where I said that. Tell me.

I said AFL with more players, and more variables would be more tactical.

You're too gutless to apologise so I won't expect it. Although i'd respect you more if you did.

thats rich coming from you - you should be shot for that comment :rolleyes:

Dan, you are so wrong.

I LOVE the Olympics, but i must admit the World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world, easily. Thanks Chooky for the real facts. And don't crap on about the AFL being more tactical than soccer, what a load of sh|t.

And the Olympics is only really about Athletics, swimming, gymnastics and rowing, maybe a few others. The soccer in the Olympics allows only players under 23 with a few players over that age allowed (cant remember the specifics). Frankly, no-one gives a **** about the soccer at the olympics. same thing applies to sports like tennis and basketball. Where was Sampras? Hingis? And about 40 others. The Olympics is not the world event for all the sports in the olympics.

Nearly all of Uruguay watched the other day's game, and it came on at 6 am. 3 television networks covered it, with up to 6 hours of pre match stuff. Soccer is HUGE overseas.

Please Dan, weve had enough. Not one person has agreed with you.

Ken

Originally posted by Danny Chook Fan Club
IOC: 199 member nations - http://www.olympic.org/ioc/e/org/noc/noc_list_e.html

FIFA: 204 member nations - http://www.fifa2.com/scripts/runisa.dll?m2:gp::67173+fgg/wwstructure

http://www.journalfrancais.com/FT/features/food_wine/food_6.html - "According to FIFA, the combined total of audiences watching all 64 games on TV over the course of the Cup will come to 37 billion viewers worldwide. FIFA estimates that over one-fourth of the world’s population (1.7 billion) will tune in to watch the final match, making it a grander forum than the Olympics."

Encyclopaedia Britannica quote: "The true world championship, however, is known as the World Cup. It is played every four years and is the most-watched sporting event in the world." - http://search.ebi.eb.com/ebi/article/0,6101,37309,00.html
Oh Daniel? I'm waiting.

Damn I'm good at this.

Originally posted by Macca19

Now on a core they do. The AFL averaged 34,838 people to their games last year (including finals)....so far this years EPL has average 31,654 to the games.

that means in the EPL the stadiums are 85% full...whereas in the AFL the stadiums are 82.6% full.

This proves my point that if you give the EPL teams bigger stadiums, they would get a lot more people to the games.

As for game sellouts....this year Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds, Liverpool, Man U, Newcastle, Sunderland, Tottenham all have averages near full house. Man United average 67,564 this year in a 67,800 stadium!!
put another 40,000 chairs in that stadium, and given the waiting list they have and the amount of support - you would probably get an average of 97,000-100,000 to the games!!!

Another 10,000 or so seats were put in Footy Park and the crows crowds went back up to what they got in the early 90s and Ports crowds didnt change.

To further back up Macca's point, supply and demand also dictates ticket prices and membership prices.

Manchester United and several other UK clubs can charge a fortune for season tickets because of the demand.

If you equalised prices between the EPL and AFL, by raising AFL prices to EPL levels, crowds would desert our game. The EPL manages massive support despite comparatively high ticket prices.

The AFL v EPL argument is a difficult one

Britain has three times the population
Australia has much bigger stadiums
In Australia ticket prices are much cheaper
Britain has 92 teams - Australia has 16

Crowd averages and percentages seem to be very similar

The only conclusion I can draw is that England is Football mad and Australia is Aussie Rules Mad.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the answer is it is probably a SCORE DRAW

Now -depending on who was playing away..................LOL

However as usual Dan can't even accept other people have the right to argue against him

Saying that the Olymppics is bigger - no quetsion- you are a fool if you think otherwise type argument is his typical crap

Dan - people can have another view, they are allowed. There is grey. Its not all black and white.

And as for asking QT for an apology - I nearly wet myself

Dan - show people some respect

I suspect you have hurt yourself big time in the last week with some of your posts.

I know you won't take advice from me as I have never got along with you from the start (now I am justified)

Maybe ask someone you know to read the two threads in question and see what they think of your attitude.

Just for the record I think Adelaide Football Club is a bigger club than Essendon because it is the one I love - and we have MORE members!! The only true indication!

Cheers

Originally posted by play on
I am glad that some people enjoyed themselves, but to me, making a world cup is no big deal, and missing a world cup is no big deal. The only reason that I watched it in the first place was because I stupidly thought that I may enjoy it. Silly me. I will not watch Socer again, because I now know what to expect.

I need Aussie rules.

No disrespect, but if I watched one game of Freo vs Sydney and took that as my judgement of AFL, I wouldn't be watching that either.

Funny how I've seen the most shiit-boring test-matches, but I don't condemn the sport as quickly as people here do to soccer.

Scared, aren't youse?

You've resorted to vulgar anecdotes now. Sad.

Anecdotes? WTF? It was reported as fact.

Whilst most of don't normally care about Athletics, the ability of the Olympcs to make us all stop and watch is testament to it as an event? Do most of us care about Hockey? No. But come Olympic time we all watch - as we do all the sports in the Olympics.

Crap. I only watched cathy freeman. I didn't stand still in awe, from memory, I was half asleep. I certaintly would not stop to watch a mediocre sport such as hockey either.

Also, I'd like to see you answer DannyChooks actual facts rather than your statements.

In this thread we have:

Rohan and Danny Chook claiming the World Cup (one sporting evenrt wth 32 teams) is bigger than the Olympics (which is beyond a sporting evenrt it is so huge. It's cultural phenomenan)

The World Cup is BIGGER

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is my view:

The Olympics are the biggest sporting event in the world....no doubt.

The World Cup is the biggest single sporting competition in the world. No doubt.

The difference is that the Olympics are an event...an event made up of various sporting competitions. They attract enormous interest (more than the world cup I would say). However they are not really a sporting competition.....at least their interest does not come from the sport.

Athletics is boring...so is hockey and don't even mention basketball. We watch though...why ?? To see our heros win...doesn't matter if it is two flies crawling up a wall we want to see the Aussies win (and the yanks want to see the yanks win etc). A quick test.....who won the women's 400m ?? Cathy Freeman. Who won the women's 1500m ???? Fukked if I know. I watched Cathy not the race. Which nation won the Archery ?? or the Badminton ? who knows or cares ? However as an event they appeal to more countries and have a higher penetration than the soccer world cup.

The world cup for soccer is a true sporting event. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and as such the interest in the highest competition of the most popular sport is huge. It is a genuine sporting contest where most people who watch actually give a damn even if their side is not playing.

So the Olympics are an event. They create huge interest. There are enough sports so that most countries have a chance in something and therefore the interest is wide.

The interest in the world cup is deep.

So you are both right. As a genuine sporting cotest the world cup wins hands down. As an event which centres around sport....the Olympics.

Satay Mat

oh....and Soccer is far more tactical than aussie rules. There are infinitely (well finite really) more things that can happen but also far more opportunity for something out of the ordinary to happen which throws your tactics out the window. The ball is not round for example....you set up your players in a position, advise them on where to run etc....and the ball bounces at 90 degrees...there is a turnover and all your plans are up in smoke. So aussie rules is tactical but only really at a macro level....we have game plans which you try to stick to....but they don't come off because there is a far greater random element in our game than in soccer which relies more on skill and tactics. Soccer is tactical...Aussie rules is strategic.

Satay Mat

No, they don't. As you proved yourself. AFL - 34,838. EPL 31,654.

And most other soccer leagues I might add only get "around" 20,000. France, up until a few years ago, could only average 10,000 in their premeir divsion!

Yes, the stadiums are smaller in England, but only a select few teams sell out all their games anyway. It's not as if every team averages a sell-out.

No, they don't. As you proved yourself. AFL - 34,838. EPL 31,654.

And most other soccer leagues I might add only get "around" 20,000. France, up until a few years ago, could only average 10,000 in their premeir divsion!

Yes, the stadiums are smaller in England, but only a select few teams sell out all their games anyway. It's not as if every team averages a sell-out.

Yes but those select few teams have a ton of supporters. Give Man U and Liverpool 100,000 seat stadiums and then watch their average attendance go to about 95,000...this is proven by the large amount of supporters they have. Same with Sunderland.
That would increase the averages.

Its like if Essendon played at Windy Hill and could only get 25,000 to a home game max...even tho they could get another 35-40k more they cant....so you expand the stadium and they all fit in.

And whats the France league got to do with anything?? Maybe the French league isnt all that strong...maybe the French dont like the French league.

Found this. Notice the bit in bold at the bottom.

http://www.didyouknow.cd/fastfacts/sports.htm

Fishing is the biggest participant sport in the world.

Soccer is the most attended or watched sport in the world.

Boxing became a legal sport in 1901.

More than 100 million people hold hunting licences.

Jean Genevieve Garnerin was the first female parachutists, jumping from a hot air balloon in 1799.

In 1975 Junko Tabei from Japan became the first woman to reach the top of Everest.

The record for the most Olympic medals ever won is held by Soviet gymnast Larissa Latynina. Competing in three Olympics, between 1956 and 1964, she won 18 medals.

The record for the most major league Bbaseball career innings is held by Cy Young, with 7,356 innings.

The first instance of global electronic communications took place in 1871 when news of the Derby winner was telegraphed from London to Calcutta in under 5 minutes.

In 1898, one of the first programmes to be broadcasted on radio was a yacht race that took place in British waters.

Sports command the biggest television audiences, led by the SUMMER OLYMPICS, World Cup soccer and Formula One racing.

Gymnasiums were introduced in 900BC and Greek athletes practised in the nude to the accompaniment of music. They also performed naked at the Olympic Games.

The very first Olympic race, held in 776 BC, was won by Corubus, a chef.

I might add, that television audience is not the sole decisive factor in defining a sporting events global size.

Take Australian for instance. The AFL Grand Final is the biggest event each year, but this year the NRL Grand Final outrated it. Does this make the NRL GF the bigger event? Only if you're delusional. The mens Wimbledon final rated the same as the AFL Grand Final too, but most Australians would rate the AFL GF as the far bigger event (In this country of course) despite the similarity of TV ratings.

Comparing the World Cup to the Olympics is not about comparing TV ratings. It is about comparing one sport to the biggest sporting and cultural phenomenan the World has ever known.

I keep on hearing people say how they don't care about Volleyball, or Hockey, or whatever sports happen to be represented in the Olympics. That doens't matter. You are missing the point. I don't care about swimming, but come the Olympics every man and his dog becomes an expert. Most of us don't care about the Olympic sports on a day-to-day basis, but during the 16 days of the Olympics, our total attention is focussed on them. That's the issue whihc you all miss. The ability of the Olympics to bring us all together. The sadness we feel when it ends. No other sporting event can generate the same sadness at its conclusion.

What event do you think Sydney would have been happier to win? The Olympics or the World Cup? Obviously they would have wanted the Olympics. It is by far the most sought after event to host. By far. The bids to host the Olympics make the bids to host the World Cup seem like chicken feed.

The Olympics is the definition of a sporting event. The World Cup is one sport. One. What makes the Olympics the worlds biggest event is the fact that 200 countries come together to celebrate sport and culture. It is not just a sporting event. It is much more than that. Pointedly, the focus is on the grandest of all sports - Atletics. The oldest, simplest, and most well-known sporting discipline. Faster, higher, stronger.

I'm sorry, but comparing anything to the Olympics is futile silly and pointless. Nothing comes close. Nothing. I've got respect for the size of the World cup..... but it ain't the Olympics.

Frankly I'm amazed at the tone of the posters here at bigfooty in regards to this. I'm flabbergasted actually. The fact that anyone would even hint that another sporting event could possibly be bigger than the might of the Olympics is staggering.

Yes but those select few teams have a ton of supporters. Give Man U and Liverpool 100,000 seat stadiums and then watch their average attendance go to about 95,000

Well, we don't know how much it would go up by. You are speculating. manU average about 60,000, but you have to remember where they have been on the ladder.

Same with Sunderland.
That would increase the averages.

Last time I checked, Sunderland averaged 15,000 People per game. They don't sell-out their stadium. If their stadium held 400,000 people, I don't see how this could increase their crowd average.

Your Essendon example is not relevant. All EPL clubs play at their suburban grounds, and if their stadium was upgraded, they would still be playing in the same geographical area.

Satay Mat,

Thank you for the common-sense!

The Olympics, as you said, is the Worlds biggest sporting EVENT. No doubt. The Olympics features a greater variety of different sports. As you said, come Olympics time, we'd watch a fly up a wall if it meant winning a gold medal! The very fact that the Olympics centres around 30-40 different kinds of sports, by logic makes it the biggest sporting event on the planet.

Originally posted by Danny Chook Fan Club
IOC: 199 member nations - http://www.olympic.org/ioc/e/org/noc/noc_list_e.html

FIFA: 204 member nations - http://www.fifa2.com/scripts/runisa.dll?m2:gp::67173+fgg/wwstructure

http://www.journalfrancais.com/FT/features/food_wine/food_6.html - "According to FIFA, the combined total of audiences watching all 64 games on TV over the course of the Cup will come to 37 billion viewers worldwide. FIFA estimates that over one-fourth of the world’s population (1.7 billion) will tune in to watch the final match, making it a grander forum than the Olympics."

Encyclopaedia Britannica quote: "The true world championship, however, is known as the World Cup. It is played every four years and is the most-watched sporting event in the world." - http://search.ebi.eb.com/ebi/article/0,6101,37309,00.html

Very poor form Danny Chook. Exposed yet again!

Firstly, what has the FIFA-IOC exmaple got to do with anything? We are not talking about the sport of soccer in general. We are talking about the actual Wolrd Cup event. Duh! :rolleyes: How many times do I have to tell you?

Secondly, your web-site from "France today" lists the World Cup as a grander forum than the Olympics. According To FIFA of course. :rolleyes: What do you expect FIFA to do Chooky? Put their own event down as second best?

Besides, i've already shown that TV audiences are not the decisive measure of an events size - and even if it is, I posted my own "facts and figures" post which lists the Olympics as the most watched event.

Thirdly, your last web-site quote is totally irrelevant to the discussion. It starts talking about Soccer in the Olympics, and then it mentions that the World Cup is the true world Championship (of soccer.) Ummmm, so what? All that says is that the World Cup soccer is bigger than the Olympics soccer. Congratulations chooky. You've just proven that the World Cup soccer is bigger than Olympics soccer. As if we already didn't know. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back