It's been awful quiet

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would imagine they might be actively looking for 6 more clubs

Pretty sure there was a couple of clubs are keen to move to AFL Yarraranges as well (or at least showed interest last year)

5 x 10 team divisions makes sense

Not sure how the 8 team divisions will work, playing each other twice (14 rounds) or 3 times (21 rounds)

Imagine scheduling finals etc...

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wasnt worried about how they would organize finals but the home and away season

Premier and Div1 = 18 Games
Divs 2 3 4 = 14 Games, 21 Games or an unfair draw somewhere in between

hansie

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2006
Outeniqua Mountains
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Newcastle Utd, Miami Dolphins
I would imagine they might be actively looking for 6 more clubs

Pretty sure there was a couple of clubs are keen to move to AFL Yarraranges as well (or at least showed interest last year)

5 x 10 team divisions makes sense

Not sure how the 8 team divisions will work, playing each other twice (14 rounds) or 3 times (21 rounds)

Imagine scheduling finals etc...
Crusey i know Coldstream were looking at the yvmdfl but who else?

Have also heard that the vets comp may be split as part of the restructure which would suit us well!

On GT-I9505 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Is a good point,what happens if a couple clubs move out of the EFL.Have not heard any rumours about clubs moving out of the EFL and moving to the YVMDFL but EFL clubs on the border of both leagues could consider it.Say for example by season 2019 3 clubs have left the EFL we now have 41,where to from there.I suppose you would look at Premier,D1,D2 10 divisions and D4 11.I can see advantages in teams leaving to but as Fatboy said the last 3 divisions a 8 team grades might make it attractive for new clubs to join the EFL to.

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has to have been discussed at some point surely

Noble to Eildon with a packed picnic lunch !

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Most of the media team are involved in broadcast of all junior taped grand finals.This thread title,perhaps the big question is Cliff where are you.Crusey what an the hell did happen to us yesterday,I hope the past players presentation went well as I was thinking at going but stayed at Mitcham and we also smashed by a very good Knox team.

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Donny East too big and too strong, out muscled us all over the park

Our ressies and 19s both played well and will now play finals

Macca kicked 6 in his 350th

Pretty decent turnout at the past players and it was certainly warmer inside the clubrooms than around the ground

Seniors need to beat Croydon now to sew up a spot

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Those clubs up the hill love being big fish in a small pond...I'm sure upwey would want to be in the premier league, but honestly those clubs have to start in 3rd at best....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hey dogbolter, strange statement to make about " those clubs up the hill ". The Yarra valley community love their footy and are entitled to have a local league to follow and/or participate in. " Big fish in a small pond " ??? Nobody up there with half a clue is claiming superiority over neighbouring leagues and, from my experience, they leave that sort of talk to "outsiders" from those neighbouring leagues like yourself. Actually, most people up there couldn't give a s**t about efl or any other league for that matter.

Fatboy35

Debutant
Jan 17, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My view is I'm seeing the EFL region is getting bigger and now is starting to impact on Yarra Ranges region. As the population gets bigger in some of the Yarra Ranges communities you can see them changing from a pure country town/community club to maybe more like a metro club and maybe that means some clubs will start to have a look what league suits them best.

I'm not good on the Yarra ranges clubs so I couldn't tell if any may come over but with 5 Div from 2019 I still believe EFL will look in a better shape to attract new clubs

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Fatboy totally agree,country towns like Wandin,Seville Woori Yallock for starters are near outer suburbs these days.Another prospective senior club is EFL junior club Lysterford which is in a growth area.One of the problems for the YVMDFL which is probally mainly D2 is the distance required to travel between clubs like Alexandria,Yea to say Powelltown etc but distance is a issue I suppose in a lot of country leagues.

I would be interested on what people from YVMDFL clubs think as clubs like Coldstream,Silvan and South Belgrave could be attracted back to the YVMDFL perhaps.

Last edited:

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1st Div Yarra clubs join the EFL (bottom of 2nd top of 3rd Div or thereabouts)

2nd Div Yarra clubs join the EFL in their own division (call it outer east / yarra) due to geographical distance

Job Done

Netball comp might make it a tad harder than above however

Last edited:

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Perhaps ask the question Crusey financially and for the better of YVMDFL clubs what makes the EFL a more attractive proposition then the comp they are in now.

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm sure they will work it out mate

Gone are the days of long standing local rivalries in footy

Not sure about you blokes but I just want to see a competitive game of footy every week and a good vocal crowd having a laugh

I love watching AFL Yarra Ranges games as well as EFL and the few Yarra games I have been to this year have had a great atmosphere and crowd turnout

Some of the attendances at Lilydale home games this year have been dreadful by comparison

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love to get a comment from someone at East Burwood. Been a dreadful few years and now back in Division 4. Can't say I saw that coming. How's the feeling down there and how are they planning for the future?

Fatboy35

Debutant
Jan 17, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Love to get a comment from someone at East Burwood. Been a dreadful few years and now back in Division 4. Can't say I saw that coming. How's the feeling down there and how are they planning for the future?
And with the new structure coming in 2019 East Burwood would need to finish top 2 in Div 4 next season or be in 5th Div in 2019. This could would mean they will be the first team to ever play in all 5 Divisions. I'm sure they won't like that!

neverwashasbeen

Draftee
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fatboy totally agree,country towns like Wandin,Seville Woori Yallock for starters are near outer suburbs these days.Another prospective senior club is EFL junior club Lysterford which is in a growth area.One of the problems for the YVMDFL which is probally mainly D2 is the distance required to travel between clubs like Alexandria,Yea to say Powelltown etc but distance is a issue I suppose in a lot of country leagues.

I would be interested on what people from YVMDFL clubs think as clubs like Coldstream,Silvan and South Belgrave could be attracted back to the YVMDFL perhaps.
The AFL Yarra Ranges is undergoing a review, maybe it will consider the ideas thrown up here. It would be hard for Silvan & South Belgrave to say they made a mistake leaving the Yarra Ranges and try to return after just a few years.

AFL Yarra Ranges REVIEW - Media Release

AFL Yarra Ranges is to begin an official review into the league across a range of areas, beginning in August.

The review will examine the sustainability and viability of the current competitions in the AFL Yarra Ranges Commission. This review aims to develop, design and recommend a model for the future of all competitions in the region, ensuring long term sustainability and viability for all affiliated clubs.

The review will be conducted by an organisational committee structure, and stakeholder consultation sessions will be held to give each club an opportunity to have their say.

These sessions will be hosted at Yarra Glen, Yea, and Lilydale, with the possibility of additional sessions elsewhere if required.

All senior and junior clubs across the league will receive a survey that will cover the review’s key areas of focus.

The findings of this review will be carefully considered before changes are implemented in the 2019 season and beyond.

Non-official club volunteers are also able to have their voice heard and contribute to the review by contacting the review committee team members or directly to the committee through admin@aflyarraranges.com

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nice

Be interesting to see what they come up with

Goodluck all this weekend

Back