Its Dale Morris Day - Broken legs - tougher recovery than knees?

Remove this Banner Ad

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Herald Sun
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...m-serious-injury/story-e6frf9jf-1226537933565
AFL
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-16/legbreak-victims-back-dale

I was amazed in recent posts people dismissed Stringers broken leg while canned Menzel for his knee reco (granted it was probably more about LARS than about a traditional knee reco).

But read these articles and you will know just how hard returning from a broken leg is. IMO they are every bit as risky and difficult as returning from knee injuries (well those traditional reco's anyway).

For every Gary Lyon there is a Nathan Brown or Goose McQuire story about broken leg recovery.
At least those at the club will be on top of this sort of recovery after Dale and do everything right by Stringer.

But Lyon admitted that they change your running gate and put stress on other parts of the body - like his hammy's. Will be very interested to follow the progress and recovery of not only Dale Morris but Stringer - someone we have put alot of faith in using pick 5. Lets hope the club and his leg are up to it

...............and as a side issue lets hope that Stringer isn't forced to do web searches one day and find his own treatment before presenting it (a.k.a begging) the board to give him a chance at it like our star brownlow medalist had to.

Morris broke his femur from memory, a bone that takes 1100 pounds of pressure per square inch in force to break

But long story short, thats a generalisation. Each circumstance depends on the injury. From my personal experience, 11 years after shattering my femur (roughly 3-4 inches) it still hasnt completely healed. Yet my knee has suffered a similar fate and not healed either.

So to answer the question, not really. Its all dependant upon the level of injury & circumstances

Morris broke his femur from memory, a bone that takes 1100 pounds of pressure per square inch in force to break

But long story short, thats a generalisation. Each circumstance depends on the injury. From my personal experience, 11 years after shattering my femur (roughly 3-4 inches) it still hasnt completely healed. Yet my knee has suffered a similar fate and not haled either.

So to answer the question, not really. Its all dependant upon the level of injury & circumstances

Time to give up your job as a crash test dummy?

Morris broke both bones in his lower leg, the fibula and tibia. The femur is the large bone of the upper leg and would take some breaking on a football field.

Jason Snell of Geelong never recovered from his broken leg and could not run again. Winston Abraham's career ended with a knee injury. As did Luke Darcy's, effectively.

The issue never was the recovery - broken legs take a lot longer and more work to heal and I don't think anybody ever denied that. As far as I see it, the Menzel/Stringer argument had two major focal points:
a) Stringer's injury was impact, whereas Menzel's didn't look that way (and family history plays against him in this regard), and;
b) Menzel had LARS surgery at a very young age and there are concerns over the longevity of the synthetic fibres.

Anyway, this isn't the major point of the thread so I won't harp on for too long, just thought I'd clarify.

What's this about Cooney finding his own treatment?

Well if you read recent articles Cooney himself said he found his recent Germany treatment online and had to go to the club and the board to ask to go. He himself also did the work to ensure he was a candidate.

My immediate reaction was.... What are all the staff at the club doing if it takes the player himself to find alternative treatments. The guy struggled with it for two seasons and no one thought to google it !
I know thats a simplistic view but some of the biggest sportsman on the planet - including Koby Bryant - have had this treatment for the last 24 months and the club never found it to be an option. Its not like its been hidden away in a back alley - its been highly talked about in the states.
It certainly had me perplexed and scratching my head as to why it took Adam to find it.

I remember a few others with mixed outcomes.. (Dont click on links if you hate this sort of vision)

Jason Snell - career ended
Michael Voss- Went on but not the same player IMO.
Michael Barlow from Freo - Time will tell but he was a waddler before the injury - worse now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=bG-OaFZFQcg&feature=endscreen
James Kelly - Has come back well
Matt MacQuire - terrible recovery...
Nathan Brown - never recovered ...
James Strauss - only young kid but has had problems on return ..

The big question is how will Dale and Stringer (http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jake+Stringer+TAC+Cup+Rd+1+North+Ballarat+WQ_WnSGEQQCl.jpg) come back from theirs ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back