Society/Culture Its happening. Smoking is going to become illegal in modern societies

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
And new zealand finally kicks this off. Watch this policy catch on like wildfire across the developed world over the next decade. we are the last generation that smoked. And future generations will look at our time in the same way we look at past generations fascination with white wigs. With amusement and disgust.

Further limiting sales is a good thing. I personally can’t imagine people wanting to start smoking, even though I used to smoke. Prohibition though?

And new zealand finally kicks this off. Watch this policy catch on like wildfire across the developed world over the next decade. we are the last generation that smoked. And future generations will look at our time in the same way we look at past generations fascination with white wigs. With amusement and disgust.

Like white wigs? More like using mercury as skincare, as happened in Victorian England.

And the government - of whichever stripe - who tries to ban smoking in Australia is asking for a paddling.

Further limiting sales is a good thing. I personally can’t imagine people wanting to start smoking, even though I used to smoke. Prohibition though?

When I was a kid a close family friend and heavy smoker of ours coughing up lung tissue was a big aversion.

Not long after that I broke one in half and dabbed it on my tongue and the taste forever put me off trying to smoke one.

Unfortunately it's been a fairly common habit in my family. Granny smoked for 52 years but managed to quit. Stil alive at 86 wit no problems. My auntie has been a heavy smoker for most of her life and at 65 had skin cancer just a year or 2 ago so I worry about her not giving it up.

Like white wigs? More like using mercury as skincare, as happened in Victorian England.

And the government - of whichever stripe - who tries to ban smoking in Australia is asking for a paddling.
So you think mercury in skincare should still be legalised? Im not following the connection you are trying to make.

How has prohibition worked in the past...........................?

Further, how would banning the sale of tobacco sit with the legalisation of weed (which I am very much for) for the purposes of smoking? It looks to me like legalisation of weed in all Australian states and territories is in a 'when' not an 'if' situation and I wonder how they'd ban one and introduce the other?

So you think mercury in skincare should still be legalised? Im not following the connection you are trying to make.
Not at all. Just, powdered wigs didn't kill the person who wore them, where mercury in skincare does. Like cigarettes do.

The fact that Australians do not like being told not to do something is a separate argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further, how would banning the sale of tobacco sit with the legalisation of weed (which I am very much for) for the purposes of smoking? It looks to me like legalisation of weed in all Australian states and territories is in a 'when' not an 'if' situation and I wonder how they'd ban one and introduce the other?
If we're looking at a harm minimisation policy approach, pill testing absolutely has to be in the conversation too.

How has prohibition worked in the past...........................?
Pretty well mostly. Asbestos, lead, automatic rifles. Prohibiition worked quite well with them.
Not at all. Just, powdered wigs didn't kill the person who wore them, where mercury in skincare does. Like cigarettes do.

The fact that Australians do not like being told not to do something is a separate argument.
i agree your mercury example is better. I was just going for some seeds humour.

i think covid has shown that most australians dont mind. At least when thet are being told to do something thst is beneficial for them

Smoking tobacco is quite a bit worse than marijuana. Its far more addictive and far worse for your lungs.

I don't care if people want to * up their own body up by smoking tobacco. But they should be prevented from their cancer sticks affecting other people with their second-hand smoke. It should be illegal to smoke where any non smokers are present - such as inside any residence where there are children, the doorways to offices, footy games.

Perhaps we need regular tests on nicotine levels and a government mandate to prevent smokers participating in society?

I don't care if people want to fu** up their own body up by smoking tobacco. But they should be prevented from their cancer sticks affecting other people with their second-hand smoke. It should be illegal to smoke where any non smokers are present - such as inside any residence where there are children, the doorways to offices, footy games.

Perhaps we need regular tests on nicotine levels and a government mandate to prevent smokers participating in society?
well if they are banning it there will be no need for such tests.

ps. Smokers dont spread their illness exponentially nor instantaneously Unlike a certain virus you are alluding too.

one virus victim can cause the death of 5 million people in 18 months.

One smoker may kill 1 or 2 kids with 10 plus years of daily second hand smoke.

do you see the difference?

ps. Smokers dont spread their illness exponentially nor instantaneously Unlike a certain virus you are alluding too.

one virus victim can cause the death of 5 million people in 18 months.

One smoker may kill 1 or 2 kids with 10 plus years of daily second hand smoke.

do you see the difference?

Vaccinated people can catch the virus and spread their illness exponentially and instantaneously.

Vaccinated people can catch the virus and spread their illness exponentially and instantaneously.
4-10 days is basically instantaneous relative to the 5-15 years It takes a smoker to pass on their problems.

and vaccinated people can do it. But the probability of them doing so is much less.

Last edited:

I think you'll find the legalisation / decrim of weed is around medicinal purposes and will ingested rather than smoked.

I think you'll find the legalisation / decrim of weed is around medicinal purposes and will ingested rather than smoked.

As the law stands currently in Victoria

The possession and personal use of marijuana in Victoria have not been legalised. Smoking any form of cannabis without a medical certificate is illegal. With a medical certificate, you can purchase medicinal marijuana for smoking, vaping or baking.

You are allowed to possess and smoke marijuana in the comfort of your home if you have a medical certificate.

You are free to smoke, vape, bake edibles or take cannabis oils on private property and not in the clear view of the public.

Cannabis dispensaries sell dried buds (flowers) that you can smoke or vape. The rules around public use are still up in the air.

If you are caught smoking marijuana in public, it is illegal and may include a penalty of $100-150...

and for other parts of Australia

Recreational personal use is the next stage being worked on, but because it is not a pressing political issue the impetus for forward motion is kind of lacking. I wonder if they realise just how much money is actually IN the market? Looks at the U.S state of Colorado;

May 23, 2021

Since 2012, when voters in Colorado passed Amendment 64 and legalized the first adult-use, recreational marijuana market in the U.S., the state has surpassed $10 billion in total sales. This not only represents a massive success and proof-of-concept for the future of the American cannabis industry, it also accounts for billions in tax revenues for the state of Colorado.

Despite economic fallout from the pandemic, marijuana sales surged in 2020. In January 2021, marijuana sales continued to set records in the state, reaching $187.5 million.

During the last six years, the Centennial State has collected over $1.6 billion - that’s just at the state level- in marijuana taxes and fee revenues. This untapped tax revenue stream was a pivotal selling point for Colorado voters in passing recreational cannabis legalization in 2012...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back