Society/Culture Its happening. Smoking is going to become illegal in modern societies

Remove this Banner Ad

But you will walk through clouds of car / truck / bus smog blithely
Thats an argument you are trying to shoehorn in here. I would expect that over time these things will disappear as well. Regardless - a very small percentage of Perth is going to become smoke free, not just vape free. People are still free to kill themselves at a faster rate elsewhere.

The world didn't end when they banned it in pubs, planes etc.

Thats an argument you are trying to shoehorn in here. I would expect that over time these things will disappear as well. Regardless - a very small percentage of Perth is going to become smoke free, not just vape free. People are still free to kill themselves at a faster rate elsewhere.

The world didn't end when they banned it in pubs, planes etc.
You are conflating cigarettes with vapes

Nope. They are both nicotine delivery devices and they both shorten the user's life (as well as screw up other things). Do you really think they would ban one and not the other?
Vaping isn't inhaling burning particles into your lungs.

Vaping isn't inhaling burning particles into your lungs.
Just massive ( comparatively to actual cigarettes) amounts of the highly addictive Nicotine and arguably carcinogenic and also addictive chemicals used to mask the painful effects of such massive amounts on your throat.
The jury is out, even though it just started sitting, on whether vapes are as "carcinogenic" as tobacco cigarettes.

Freedom.

You dumb farkin carnt!

It's wonderful walking down the street through the huge clouds of vape smoke being emitted from inconsiderate fools that think its healthier than cigs.
It is healthier. Provided they aren't combusting the material then they aren't inhaling particulates to shred their lungs. (Its not necessarily healthy, just healthier.)

And vaping dry weed is significantly better for your lungs than smoking it.

Just massive ( comparatively to actual cigarettes) amounts of the highly addictive Nicotine and arguably carcinogenic and also addictive chemicals used to mask the painful effects of such massive amounts on your throat.
The jury is out, even though it just started sitting, on whether vapes are as "carcinogenic" as tobacco cigarettes.

Freedom.

You dumb farkin carnt!
The difference isn't that Vapes are harm free. The difference is they do less damage than any smoke. I haven't had a cigarette for over a decade, don't want one, won't vape nicotine either. I'm over it and would never have started if smoking was banned in pubs over 30 years ago but its pretty obvious that any cool vapour is less damaging to the structure of your lungs than any hot particulates.

Friend of mine who would know said vaping is like methadone, it does what it says on the label but you can't beat the real thing.
Heaps of people say that about vaping pot too. (Tho it probably depends on the actual vape they use.)

One thing I've heard from people who know is that methadone is alot harder to kick than heroin. Heard similar about nicotine vaping too.

Heaps of people say that about vaping pot too. (Tho it probably depends on the actual vape they use.)

One thing I've heard from people who know is that methadone is alot harder to kick than heroin. Heard similar about nicotine vaping too.
Wonder how much is the social aspect. Eric Clapton wrote in his autobio that quitting heroin was not too difficult once he was serious about it because everyone in your life wants you to quit heroin. Dealing with alcoholism was far more difficult because everybody in his life thought he surely handle a beer every now and then.

Wonder how much is the social aspect. Eric Clapton wrote in his autobio that quitting heroin was not too difficult once he was serious about it because everyone in your life wants you to quit heroin. Dealing with alcoholism was far more difficult because everybody in his life thought he surely handle a beer every now and then.
I've known a few junkies over the years, who I've stayed friends with cos they weren't thieving shitheads. One, (who I helped kick a several thousand dollar a week habit at my place once) told me methadone cold turkey was heaps more painful and difficult. They were having a bad time of it too, kicking their heroin habit, so I don't want to know how bad stopping methadone was.

But what you are saying makes alot of sense. I live somewhere behind Nimbin. Smoking pot in public is not taboo here, and if you want to stop choofing or have a break that makes it harder because at any social function and a few pubs half the population will be rolling up a joint and sending it round. Much like what Clapton says about stopping booze. Which is a similar thing in that most social functions around here (and in the rest of Australia) have booze available. And "a beer every now and then" isn't what alcoholics need at all.

I took up ciggies after working in pubs and nightclubs for a few years, I was addicted to nicotine from second hand smoke, and when they made it illegal to smoke in pubs in NSW it made it easier to stop.

I think Pete Townsend once said it was harder to stop smoking than to stop heroin too. It messes with your brain chemistry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. They are both nicotine delivery devices and they both shorten the user's life (as well as screw up other things). Do you really think they would ban one and not the other?
You do realise nicotine is not harmful dont you ?
Its an extremely addictive substance.
All the damage from a cig comes from when you BURN it and inhale the chemicals and tar that come with combustion.

One of mates quit smoking and now vapes and thinks hes on a health kick or something. Vapers look like knobs
Yeah that part is interesting.

Smoking always had that potential to look cool - movie stars did it, rock stars did it, all the advertising (when it was legal) made us think it was cool. It was a social thing to do at gigs, and you could do it at the pub, clubs, etc.

Vaping was never promoted in the same way, and you could never do it legally at gigs, clubs, pubs etc.

Now when I see someone vape, I basically just think 'addict'. The other connotations of smoking in the past don't seem to apply.

Yeah that part is interesting.

Smoking always had that potential to look cool - movie stars did it, rock stars did it, all the advertising (when it was legal) made us think it was cool. It was a social thing to do at gigs, and you could do it at the pub, clubs, etc.

Vaping was never promoted in the same way, and you could never do it legally at gigs, clubs, pubs etc.

Now when I see someone vape, I basically just think 'addict'. The other connotations of smoking in the past don't seem to apply.
I can roll a cigarette with one hand and smoke it no hands, you tell me that's not a life skill worth having.

I can roll a cigarette with one hand and smoke it no hands, you tell me that's not a life skill worth having.
You would have come in handy a couple of weekends ago - as a once in a blue moon 'jazz' cigarette smoker I was at a party and faced with having to roll one without a machine. Multiple papers, filters popping out, it was a *en shemozzle.

You would have come in handy a couple of weekends ago - as a once in a blue moon 'jazz' cigarette smoker I was at a party and faced with having to roll one without a machine. Multiple papers, filters popping out, it was a *en shemozzle.
It's a skill that should be taught in high school, it'd be more useful and have better real world applications than integral calculus.

Removing the additives that make smoking smoother should have been done decades ago and would have had a huge impact on smoking rates. I like the idea of banning cigarettes but it just leads to questions about what else should be banned. For me, coca-cola should be 100% banned but coffee is also a caffeine delivery system and I don't think it should be banned.

Removing the additives that make smoking smoother should have been done decades ago and would have had a huge impact on smoking rates. I like the idea of banning cigarettes but it just leads to questions about what else should be banned. For me, coca-cola should be 100% banned but coffee is also a caffeine delivery system and I don't think it should be banned.
The thing that has got all the smoking bans over the line is passive smoking and OH&S rules.

Most other vices don't have the direct negative impact on those that choose not to partake that smoking does.

The thing that has got all the smoking bans over the line is passive smoking and OH&S rules.

Most other vices don't have the direct negative impact on those that choose not to partake that smoking does.
Gambling and drinking could be pretty brutal on families I'd imagine. They're just a little more socially acceptable than smoking these days.

Making something illegal has a negative impact, due to the crime that flourishes around it. Removing the additives would have been enough I think, a vice that is akin to breathing in campfire smoke is a lot harder to justify to yourself.

Gambling and drinking could be pretty brutal on families I'd imagine. They're just a little more socially acceptable than smoking these days.
Totally.

But the real difference there is that it is indirect, and unless at problem levels doesn't harm. Having dinner with somebody who has a glass of wine doesn't harm me. Grandma buying a tattslotto ticket doesn't harm me. Breathing in second hand smoke from a cigarette does.

Making something illegal has a negative impact, due to the crime that flourishes around it. Removing the additives would have been enough I think, a vice that is akin to breathing in campfire smoke is a lot harder to justify to yourself.
It should be mandatory to offer singles for sale too.

Know many a quitter who wanted just one smoke. SO they bought a pack. Actually hated the first one and didn't finish it.

Smoked the rest because they were there. Addicted again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back