Society/Culture Its happening. Smoking is going to become illegal in modern societies

Remove this Banner Ad

It should be mandatory to offer singles for sale too.

Know many a quitter who wanted just one smoke. SO they bought a pack. Actually hated the first one and didn't finish it.

Smoked the rest because they were there. Addicted again.
Absolutely. I suspect that is the reason that singles are illegal almost everywhere. One cig probably isn't going to be habit forming, a whole pack is very likely to be.

Meanwhile, alcohol is still the biggest killer of working-age adults 20 - 60 yrs old.
  • Liver cirrhosis.
  • Traffic accidents.
  • Violence.
  • Cancers of the breast, liver, colon, and larynx.
  • Epilepsy and seizures
  • Excessive drinking has been implicated in the formation of at least 60 major types of disease, and more than 2.5 million people die every year because of it; that number is more than the number of people who die from HIV or tuberculosis. Alcohol is the third-leading cause of preventable death in the world.
  • I am a nonsmoker, never smoked in my life, but if you ban the "****" you need to look closely at the demon drink? They tried that once before a hundred years ago? How'd that go?

Isn't it good that people are doing less of it?
The less smoking the better, but I wonder how many people are still drunk after last night? Drinking is one of the world's favourite pastimes and is the cause of death to millions of people every year. I doubt it's becoming illegal anytime soon. Alcohol can be pure happiness in potable form or its very own circle of hell, depending on your relationship with it. Four drinks and you are the greatest dancer in the world. Sadly, tobacco companies have developed insidious tactics to stay relevant, roughly 70% of the homeless population smokes cigarettes because tobacco companies have found that the chronically disenfranchised are easy victims. One of its most successful victims is Indonesia, currently the world's 5th - largest cigarette market and wheezing its way to the top with a population of 276 million. Smoking is bad because you get addicted to the nicotine and the tar turns your lungs into a swampy, black death-marsh. There's nothing enjoyable about smoking, and unless you manage to get nicotine's evil claws out of your brain, you will die. I hate smoking. Alcohol though brings forth some sort of weird celebration of it all, the main pastime of inebriated people is describing the most wasted that they have ever been, usually followed by explaining, in vivid detail, the well-deserved consequences of said event. One thing not included on the brochure of drinking yourself to death is some sort of magical cure-all for hangovers-- You're on your own with that.

I get why people are worried about health, but I'm not sure if making smoking illegal is the right way to go. Like, with vaping, it doesn't seem as bad as regular smoking.

I vape myself, using stuff from Nexus Smoke Premium E-Liquid and Luxury Vape Products, and it would be hard to stop. For me, vaping feels like a better choice than smoking cigarettes. It doesn't seem as harmful, and it smells way more likeable. I think it's essential to think about health, but people should have the choice to do what they enjoy, as long as it's not hurting anyone.

Last edited:
I get why people are worried about health, but I'm not sure if making smoking illegal is the right way to go. Like, with vaping, it doesn't seem as bad as regular smoking.
Are there any reliable and reputable results of studies about the effects of vaping yet? I'm not aware of any, so from my perspective, calling it better or worse than smoking is just guesswork.

As a lifetime non smoker, alcohol is still a big problem with many people, yet no talk of banning it will ever rise again. There's nothing enjoyable about smoking, and unless you manage to get nicotine's evil claws out of your brain, you will die.

People often compare the two (smoking and drinking) in conversation but I really don't see how you can do that. They share some similarities, but the differences are huge and really make them worth two totally separate conversations.

Are there any reliable and reputable results of studies about the effects of vaping yet? I'm not aware of any, so from my perspective, calling it better or worse than smoking is just guesswork.

People often compare the two (smoking and drinking) in conversation but I really don't see how you can do that. They share some similarities, but the differences are huge and really make them worth two totally separate conversations.
Alcohol is probably far worse when you consider its association with substance abuse, aggressive behaviour, crime and domestic violence. I have never smoked, i find the habit abhorrent, but which one does the most damage? I must admit i haven't had a drink in 5 years and i feel terrific, not that i was a big drinker anyway, but i have noticed the difference in weight and the feeling of being listless. I guess i just got older and can't be bothered with the day after blues.

Meanwhile, alcohol is still the biggest killer of working-age adults 20 - 60 yrs old.
  • Liver cirrhosis.
  • Traffic accidents.
  • Violence.
  • Cancers of the breast, liver, colon, and larynx.
  • Epilepsy and seizures
  • Excessive drinking has been implicated in the formation of at least 60 major types of disease, and more than 2.5 million people die every year because of it; that number is more than the number of people who die from HIV or tuberculosis. Alcohol is the third-leading cause of preventable death in the world.
  • I am a nonsmoker, never smoked in my life, but if you ban the "****" you need to look closely at the demon drink? They tried that once before a hundred years ago? How'd that go?
Yes but "Carry me through the pages of Distress and Compunction and correct me if I am wrong but we are all "guilty of
many digressions"....lovey your work..

Read Jon Safran's latest book the other week.
Takes aim at Phillip Morris International and how they're going to ditch tobacco and unsmoke the world,but things aren't quite what they seem.
Screenshot_20231220_083324_Google.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a lifetime non smoker, alcohol is still a big problem with many people, yet no talk of banning it will ever rise again. There's nothing enjoyable about smoking, and unless you manage to get nicotine's evil claws out of your brain, you will die.
I hate to break this to you but you're gonna die anyway.

If you'd ever seen my nanna sparking up her fortieth of the day it might change your mind.
Reminds me of my mum getting up at 2am for a coffee and a smoke and then complaining about her quality of sleep

Vaping weed using dry herb in specifically made vaporisers is definitely better for lung function over the short and medium term in my experience. Dunno about extracts dissolved in toxic waste. I think in the US there were several deaths and thousands of hospitalisations associated with some bad products.

Regardless of everything else, smoke contains particulate matter that damages your lungs whereas vapour, whatever is in it, doesn't contain those things.

Vapour is a gas. Smoke is a mixture or suspended particulates and gases. So smoke will cause more physical destruction to delicate lung tissue than vapour.

The other bonus of vaping dry herb is that it seems it doesn't produce CO.

There are studies that support this if you want to search them up.

Reminds me of my mum getting up at 2am for a coffee and a smoke and then complaining about her quality of sleep
Nanna was a shocker and she'd try to sucker you in as well, if I just put one out she'd be shoving her pack under my nose offering me another. Always sent me outside for the jazz **** though.

Vaping weed using dry herb in specifically made vaporisers is definitely better for lung function over the short and medium term in my experience. Dunno about extracts dissolved in toxic waste. I think in the US there were several deaths and thousands of hospitalisations associated with some bad products.

Regardless of everything else, smoke contains particulate matter that damages your lungs whereas vapour, whatever is in it, doesn't contain those things.

Vapour is a gas. Smoke is a mixture or suspended particulates and gases. So smoke will cause more physical destruction to delicate lung tissue than vapour.

The other bonus of vaping dry herb is that it seems it doesn't produce CO.

There are studies that support this if you want to search them up.
Look, you might be right, but my first reaction to these sorts of claims is that it sounds just like the old, "It's ok to put peanut butter on my balls and have my dog lick it off because it's MY dog!" Yeah, but it's still a dog licking your balls man. Vapour or smoke - it's a chemical reaction of foreign material that is being put into your lungs and then into your bloodstream for your body to metabolise. To assume one is inherently safe for what seems to be spurious reasoning doesn't fill me with any confidence. I'll have to look up the studies on it and see!

Look, you might be right, but my first reaction to these sorts of claims is that it sounds just like the old, "It's ok to put peanut butter on my balls and have my dog lick it off because it's MY dog!" Yeah, but it's still a dog licking your balls man. Vapour or smoke - it's a chemical reaction of foreign material that is being put into your lungs and then into your bloodstream for your body to metabolise. To assume one is inherently safe for what seems to be spurious reasoning doesn't fill me with any confidence. I'll have to look up the studies on it and see!
It's less dangerous than inhaling burning vegetable matter is the best spin I can put on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back