It's LAPTOP time

Remove this Banner Ad

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In the market for a new laptop, I've had 2 in 8 years. Both were business style (Toshiba and Dell) that could do some light gaming.

Now I'm on the hunt for a new laptop I'm planning on getting a beefier Laptop that can game if required.... but also has decent battery life. That combo is hard, I'm aware that gaming off the battery is for a better word pointless. But when I'm talking long battery life I mean qhen using it for internet searches etc.

At first I was leaning toward a HP Envy that would do well in video encoding as well as gaming. I've found the perfect compromise there.

There's a HP Omen that is weaker for video encoding but would be a good gaming machine.

I'm now thinking this...

Should I pull the trigger ??

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well a week and a bit later.........

Purchased the 2021 version of the above laptop, Ryzen 7 5800h 3070

After seeing the version at JB Hifi, I stumbled upon another revision that had a bigger hard drive (1tb vs 512gb) and more ram (32 vs 16) for just $215 more. Then lightbulb moment, I figured if I'm going to spend $1914 on a laptop, why not spend just a little extra and have the current revision. Granted I've now got to conserve hard drive space.... and eventually upgrade the ram myself :p. On the plus side, I have the bigger battery.

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where's Chrome?
Didn't install it at the time of the picture, and it's still not installed right now :p

I'm team Firefox. I do use Chrome occasionally when some sites crap themselves.

Also I'm not exclusively using the new laptop EVERYWHERE. I'm still using the old one in certain situations (eg: when needing something on in the background while cooking/eating dinner etc).

But I'm very happy with my purchase decision so far.

I still plan on replacing my desktop pc from 2012 with something current AND also build a media pc as well.

NaturalDisaster

Jul 16, 2015
Earth somewhere
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
In the market for a new laptop, I've had 2 in 8 years. Both were business style (Toshiba and Dell) that could do some light gaming.

Now I'm on the hunt for a new laptop I'm planning on getting a beefier Laptop that can game if required.... but also has decent battery life. That combo is hard, I'm aware that gaming off the battery is for a better word pointless. But when I'm talking long battery life I mean qhen using it for internet searches etc.

At first I was leaning toward a HP Envy that would do well in video encoding as well as gaming. I've found the perfect compromise there.

There's a HP Omen that is weaker for video encoding but would be a good gaming machine.

I'm now thinking this...

Should I pull the trigger ??
I purchased one of these recently, excellent so far, quick, work excellent with games (obviously). Worth the money imo

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I purchased one of these recently, excellent so far, quick, work excellent with games (obviously). Worth the money imo
Yep, youtube reviews did say it's a system for the price. Only downside being how how it gets underneath (the 2020 version, the 2021 version has a few more ventilation spots underneath). I haven't noticed it as much due to how I have the laptop resting.

I've done some video encoding with Handbrake, what used to take anywhere from 40 mins - 2 hours.... now takes 15-20 minutes at the most. Loving the time saved.

Pleased with the decision.

Remove this Banner Ad