It's LAPTOP time

Remove this Banner Ad

In the market for a new laptop, I've had 2 in 8 years. Both were business style (Toshiba and Dell) that could do some light gaming.

Now I'm on the hunt for a new laptop I'm planning on getting a beefier Laptop that can game if required.... but also has decent battery life. That combo is hard, I'm aware that gaming off the battery is for a better word pointless. But when I'm talking long battery life I mean qhen using it for internet searches etc.

At first I was leaning toward a HP Envy that would do well in video encoding as well as gaming. I've found the perfect compromise there.

There's a HP Omen that is weaker for video encoding but would be a good gaming machine.

I'm now thinking this...

Should I pull the trigger ??

Well a week and a bit later.........

CEPjmJe.png

Purchased the 2021 version of the above laptop, Ryzen 7 5800h 3070

After seeing the version at JB Hifi, I stumbled upon another revision that had a bigger hard drive (1tb vs 512gb) and more ram (32 vs 16) for just $215 more. Then lightbulb moment, I figured if I'm going to spend $1914 on a laptop, why not spend just a little extra and have the current revision. Granted I've now got to conserve hard drive space.... and eventually upgrade the ram myself :p. On the plus side, I have the bigger battery.

Where's Chrome?

Didn't install it at the time of the picture, and it's still not installed right now :p

I'm team Firefox. I do use Chrome occasionally when some sites crap themselves.

Also I'm not exclusively using the new laptop EVERYWHERE. I'm still using the old one in certain situations (eg: when needing something on in the background while cooking/eating dinner etc).

But I'm very happy with my purchase decision so far.

I still plan on replacing my desktop pc from 2012 with something current AND also build a media pc as well.

In the market for a new laptop, I've had 2 in 8 years. Both were business style (Toshiba and Dell) that could do some light gaming.

Now I'm on the hunt for a new laptop I'm planning on getting a beefier Laptop that can game if required.... but also has decent battery life. That combo is hard, I'm aware that gaming off the battery is for a better word pointless. But when I'm talking long battery life I mean qhen using it for internet searches etc.

At first I was leaning toward a HP Envy that would do well in video encoding as well as gaming. I've found the perfect compromise there.

There's a HP Omen that is weaker for video encoding but would be a good gaming machine.

I'm now thinking this...

Should I pull the trigger ??

I purchased one of these recently, excellent so far, quick, work excellent with games (obviously). Worth the money imo

I purchased one of these recently, excellent so far, quick, work excellent with games (obviously). Worth the money imo

Yep, youtube reviews did say it's a system for the price. Only downside being how how it gets underneath (the 2020 version, the 2021 version has a few more ventilation spots underneath). I haven't noticed it as much due to how I have the laptop resting.

I've done some video encoding with Handbrake, what used to take anywhere from 40 mins - 2 hours.... now takes 15-20 minutes at the most. Loving the time saved.

Pleased with the decision.

Good luck, looks nice, l really don’t like gaming laptops mainly because of reliability and upgradability.
make sure you keep it cool as possible so you can enjoy it for years.

Good luck, looks nice, l really don’t like gaming laptops mainly because of reliability and upgradability.
make sure you keep it cool as possible so you can enjoy it for years.

Thank you kind sir :)

I upgraded the ram and added a second ssd last weekend. and yes I've been keeping it relatively cool. Yeah I was going to get a more "business" oriented laptop, but fell on the gaming laptop train. I had a list of requirements (able to video encode, some gaming, long battery life etc).

Opting to not use one of those cooler/fan devices that you sit the laptop on top of. For the most part when I have the laptop on silent mode, it doesn't really need extra help cooling as it's literally silent and not over working itself to the point of blowing up :p. When it's on performance mode and thus doing some gaming it can get loud and the laptop does warm up (GTA V especially..... it doesn't work hard with Rocket League). The stand I rest it on while gaming (of which I connect it to my 55" tv) is handy to keep the laptop well ventilated.

JB Hifi put the older model A15 model I was going to buy, on sale again for $100 less than what I almost purchased it for. So much for the guy telling me 3 weeks ago that it was the lowest price possible... I guess they could go lower :p. I don't regret buying this 2021 model, it's been fun to use (granted I still use my older laptop for a few things - trying to not be on the new one ALL of the time).

Thank you kind sir :)

I upgraded the ram and added a second ssd last weekend. and yes I've been keeping it relatively cool. Yeah I was going to get a more "business" oriented laptop, but fell on the gaming laptop train. I had a list of requirements (able to video encode, some gaming, long battery life etc).

Opting to not use one of those cooler/fan devices that you sit the laptop on top of. For the most part when I have the laptop on silent mode, it doesn't really need extra help cooling as it's literally silent and not over working itself to the point of blowing up :p. When it's on performance mode and thus doing some gaming it can get loud and the laptop does warm up (GTA V especially..... it doesn't work hard with Rocket League). The stand I rest it on while gaming (of which I connect it to my 55" tv) is handy to keep the laptop well ventilated.

JB Hifi put the older model A15 model I was going to buy, on sale again for $100 less than what I almost purchased it for. So much for the guy telling me 3 weeks ago that it was the lowest price possible... I guess they could go lower :p. I don't regret buying this 2021 model, it's been fun to use (granted I still use my older laptop for a few things - trying to not be on the new one ALL of the time).
nice, looks like you’re really enjoying your laptop. One thing to note is that fans are your friend, l would not play graphic intensive games in silent mode, mainly because you want your fans spinning and cooling your system. Any heat to your pc lowers the life of your hardware *especially laptops* ,Silent mode should be for surfing and general low power use. I’d look at laptop cooling options that work for when you’re gaming.

nice, looks like you’re really enjoying your laptop. One thing to note is that fans are your friend, l would not play graphic intensive games in silent mode, mainly because you want your fans spinning and cooling your system. Any heat to your pc lowers the life of your hardware *especially laptops* ,Silent mode should be for surfing and general low power use. I’d look at laptop cooling options that work for when you’re gaming.

Yep silent mode is for when I am just on the internet, or doing other basic tasks. Performance/turbo is when I'm plugged in gaming or doing video encoding/ripping blurays on handbrake etc.

I'm not 'concerned' about heating yet, from reading the internet and watching youtube video reviews the 2020 A15 had temperatures constantly 80-90+ degrees. I've not seen my laptop go beyond 79 when gaming (yes it's on the hot side but it's not 90+ constantly lol). I'll still look into cooling options soon. Also silent mode helps the cpu/gpu stay between 35-39 degrees, according to the temp readings.

Yep silent mode is for when I am just on the internet, or doing other basic tasks. Performance/turbo is when I'm plugged in gaming or doing video encoding/ripping blurays on handbrake etc.

I'm not 'concerned' about heating yet, from reading the internet and watching youtube video reviews the 2020 A15 had temperatures constantly 80-90+ degrees. I've not seen my laptop go beyond 79 when gaming (yes it's on the hot side but it's not 90+ constantly lol). I'll still look into cooling options soon. Also silent mode helps the cpu/gpu stay between 35-39 degrees, according to the temp readings.
Temps are high😟. I guess its going to be the case when your laptop has high performance Parts.
this is why I prefer desktops. But yes please look into cooling especially when we get into the warmer months or if your running your heater on high.

Temps are high😟. I guess its going to be the case when your laptop has high performance Parts.
this is why I prefer desktops. But yes please look into cooling especially when we get into the warmer months or if your running your heater on high.

I won't be gaming on it a lot, so hopefully it lasts more than 2 years!!

Also the battery life is insane, I've made it last 16 hours on one charge cycle (kept the brightness super low lol). I'm getting 12-14 hours use from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't be gaming on it a lot, so hopefully it lasts more than 2 years!!

Also the battery life is insane, I've made it last 16 hours on one charge cycle (kept the brightness super low lol). I'm getting 12-14 hours use from it.
that's really good battery time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back