Hot Topic It's Official - Bye Mick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to contrast the difference between Brett Ratten and Mick's demeanour pre and post-sacking. One still had the club's interest at heart even as it kicked him to the curb.

Think that also has a bit to do with Sticks/Swann vs MLG/Trigg too. There was a clear break down with Mick which isn't acceptable from both parties.

Mick Malthouse has achieved something that no other coach in history has ever done.

He is the only man to coach 4 different teams to finals (Footscray 1985, WCE to many finals, Collingwood to many finals, and Carlton in 2013).

There have been other coaches who have coached four different teams, but none have taken four teams to finals.

Ron Barrassi (finals with Carlton and N.M., no finals with Melbourne or Sydney)
Malcolm Blight (Finals with Geelong and Adelaide, no finals with N.M. and St. Kilda)
Robert Walls (finals with Fitzroy, Carlton and Brisbane, no finals with Richmond)
Tom Hafey (finals with Richmond, Collingwood and Sydney, no finals with Geelong)
John Northey (finals with Melbourne ,Richmond and Brisbane, no finals with Sydney)

David Parkin has also coached finals teams in four different stints as coach, but they weren't four DIFFERENT teams, since he coached Hawthorn, Fitzroy to finals, and Carlton to finals in both stints as Blues coach).

Perceptions are a funny thing, aren't they?

Reading your posts could lead to a number of similar conclusions.

Yes fair enough. Watching Carlton make dumb decision after dumb decision, year after year does get the blood pressure up a bit. Especially when it's so obvious at the time what a dumb decision it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick Malthouse has achieved something that no other coach in history has ever done.

He is the only man to coach 4 different teams to finals (Footscray 1985, WCE to many finals, Collingwood to many finals, and Carlton in 2013).

There have been other coaches who have coached four different teams, but none have taken four teams to finals.

Ron Barrassi (finals with Carlton and N.M., no finals with Melbourne or Sydney)
Malcolm Blight (Finals with Geelong and Adelaide, no finals with N.M. and St. Kilda)
Robert Walls (finals with Fitzroy, Carlton and Brisbane, no finals with Richmond)
Tom Hafey (finals with Richmond, Collingwood and Sydney, no finals with Geelong)
John Northey (finals with Melbourne ,Richmond and Brisbane, no finals with Sydney)

David Parkin has also coached finals teams in four different stints as coach, but they weren't four DIFFERENT teams, since he coached Hawthorn, Fitzroy to finals, and Carlton to finals in both stints as Blues coach).

Considering in 1996 Richmond finished 9th with a 11-11 record, I'd consider this a similar feat to Carlton's 2013 season. In fact the Tigers had a % of 117.4 compared to our % of 106.7 in 2013.

It's a very hollow record.

In fact our H&A record in 2013 is 1.3% worse than the 2012 season that saw Ratten sacked.

Considering in 1996 Richmond finished 9th with a 11-11 record, I'd consider this a similar feat to Carlton's 2013 season. In fact the Tigers had a % of 117.4 compared to our % of 106.7 in 2013.

It's a very hollow record.
It's not a hollow record just because you want to pretend that winning a final only has merit if the H&A stats meet whatever arbitrary baseline you put forth.

If you want to compare us with the Tigers, they had an extra 4 wins and 16 percent to us in 2013 - what impact did that have when it came time to us playing them in finals, and do you think their supporters left the EF satisfied in the belief their season was better than ours?

In 2013 Malthouse doubled our finals wins from the 11 seasons prior - nothing hollow about that.

Let the record show that the only reason we played finals was because the dopers got caught; so the achievement was by no means through merit.

We were the 8th best clean team.

There, some merit.

Also love how we are now shitting on a finals campaign to justify shitting on Mick. How petty.

We were the 8th best clean team.

There, some merit.

Also love how we are now shitting on a finals campaign to justify shitting on Mick. How petty.

Tend to disagree.

The only glorious thing about that finals campaign was wiping the smirk off the Richmond supporters.

There are many things to point out that validate the criticism directed at MM.

For supporters of MM to come out and say that in his defence he took us to finals in one of his years in circumstances where they were clear mitigating circumstances that allowed it, is petty.

Doesn't matter if an alien spacecraft crashed into Ardern Street wiping out the Kangaroos. We qualified for finals. It is not a defence of Mick it is a statement of fact.

It's not a hollow record just because you want to pretend that winning a final only has merit if the H&A stats meet whatever arbitrary baseline you put forth.

If you want to compare us with the Tigers, they had an extra 4 wins and 16 percent to us in 2013 - what impact did that have when it came time to us playing them in finals, and do you think their supporters left the EF satisfied in the belief their season was better than ours?

In 2013 Malthouse doubled our finals wins from the 11 seasons prior - nothing hollow about that.

You can have your opinion, but it is just that. I'm not pretending anything.

It is a fact that we made finals in 2013.
It is also a fact that we did so because Essendon were kicked out of the finals.
It is also a fact that we had a 11-11 H&A record and weren't one of the 8 best teams during the course of that year.

I personally think we were a little better than what we showed in the H&A and played well in the finals, however there is not one damn thing you can say that eradicates my belief that Mick's record of getting 4 teams into finals is a little hollow given the manner in which we made finals and our decline ever since he took over. I loved the end of our 2013 season but the season itself was disappointing to me.

It is also fact that Walls' Richmond side that failed to make finals was statistically better than Carlton's 2013 side so the fact that he failed to et his 4th side into finals and Malthouse did is fairly meaningless to me.

You do have to be in finals to win them but teams are judged over a whole season. That's what I'm doing, judging the team over the course of a season, not a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back