News It's Official: Darcy Fogarty and Lachie Murphy re-sign for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Two good signings. Fogarty gets a shot to really cement himself as the number 2 key forward in our set up in the post Tex world. Murphy had a good year and at worse is good coverage if McHenry gets injured/or falls apart as a prospect.

At worst it's 1 more year playing the junior role to Tex before getting a year as the primary in his contract year. Possibly Tex stays on to be a genuine half coach/half year player next year and Fog gets a year and a half at it. Term is probably spot on.

Murphy I'm not fussed either way, but between him and Rowe, good luck being a talented kid trying to get past 2 guys with low ceilings but with 50+ games apiece. I'd rather move on from him but as I've posted before, we're not purposefully getting less experienced this off season. We'll be re-signing all our senior players or at least have a contract in front of them.

Cop that those Murphy doubters, obviously highly valued within the the 4 walls of the AFC. Several of Smurph's takeaways from both centre bounces and stoppages have been the cleanest and highest quality of any of our mids this season....not just a small pressure forward!!!

Yep, this. Because we don't ever make list management mistakes. Cop that you dimwits that think we ever have. This is the AFC, we don't make mistakes. Fancy using a list management decision to have a crack at people's opinions on players. That said, I don't mind Murphy, low ceiling, but he has games under the belt, so gets 2 years to help keep us out of the bottom 4.

Murph actually brings some forward pressure. His recent cameos in the midfield weren't too shabby either. Rowe is more skilled than Murphy but offers nothing in the way of forward pressure. I don't like either of them that much tbh. Both limited players who are just placeholders until we find our next Cameron. I prefer Murph though. I'll take an honest but limited player over a downhill skier like Rowe any day.

I think you are being extremely unfair to Rowe. He’s only played 11 AFL games abd has come from an SANFL system that doesn’t rely on defensive pressure as much as the AFL system does.

if Jimmy Rowe still has the same level as defensive pressure after 30 games as he does now, your criticism of him holds far more value. However, right now I think it’s an unfair criticism of him.

He is in the team as he has some very good offensive tricks and like any young player, he is inconsistent and his inconsistency are much more identifiable when we lose and play away.

He’s not a down hill skier. That’s unfair

Absence certainly does make the heart grow fonder.

Jimmy Rowe has a significantly higher ceiling over Lachlan Murphy. Let’s not forget that Rowe is only 21.

Nah, Murphy can play down back and have spurts in the midfield, it's unlikely, but he clearly has a higher ceiling than a small forward with limited other areas of strength. Rowe has devoted himself to footy and getting on a list and all he's amounted to is a gun SANFL level small forward. His ceiling is severely limited.

2 more years of the greatest forward since Tony Lockett

Quality announcement. Very good work from the social media team and Amelia.

And the whole Fog signing thing is good too of course.

I think you are being extremely unfair to Rowe. He’s only played 11 AFL games abd has come from an SANFL system that doesn’t rely on defensive pressure as much as the AFL system does.

if Jimmy Rowe still has the same level as defensive pressure after 30 games as he does now, your criticism of him holds far more value. However, right now I think it’s an unfair criticism of him.

He is in the team as he has some very good offensive tricks and like any young player, he is inconsistent and his inconsistency are much more identifiable when we lose and play away.

He’s not a down hill skier. That’s unfair
Rowe's forward pressure was good in the SANFL because his lack of speed and strength wasn't exposed at that level.

I don't think I'm being unfair. I'm just calling it as I see it right now. Neither of us know what kind of player he will be in a few years. There is always this assumption that players will improve with more time in the system but that isn't always the case.

Give Rowe Murphy's speed, and you have a player with a high ceiling.
Yep. Rowe's skill and nous combined with Murph's speed and defensive pressure would be a pretty handy small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I still think Murphy's best position will end up being in Brown's lockdown small defender role. Unfortunate he's injured, the Collingwood game would've been a perfect opportunity to test him in that role.

Would have been funny if they got the players to not clap and just look around with that Office style awkwardness when Murphy appeared.
D Jars as Kevin

Phil Harper as Toby Flenderson

D Mac as Creed
Nicks: (introducing players) This is D Mac. He does... something
David Mackay: That is correct

Combine them and you get a veey good quality AFL small forward
If only we could..

But id rather combine murphy and newchurch..

Imagine newchurch’s xfactor, skills, talent mixed with murphy’s grit, determination, high pressure and hard tackling game..

If ******* only.

I've always liked Murphy (defensively tougher than Rowe) and am still hopeful for Fogarty.
Add their signings to the other young blokes and it speaks well of the bond within the group.

However, I reckon Vader will be gnashing his teeth/ rending a T-shirt or two re: Fog.

If only we could..

But id rather combine murphy and newchurch..

Imagine newchurch’s xfactor, skills, talent mixed with murphy’s grit, determination, high pressure and hard tackling game..

If ******* only.
Newchurch gets better with every game he doesn't play

I've always liked Murphy (defensively tougher than Rowe) and am still hopeful for Fogarty.
Add their signings to the other young blokes and it speaks well of the bond within the group.

However, I reckon Vader will be gnashing his teeth/ rending a T-shirt or two re: Fog.
Why? I'm happy for the kid. I certainly don't bear him any ill will.

I just wish he'd work harder, so that he can actually deliver on the talent he possesses.

Hopefully we see the best of Fog now that he's starting to get a decent run of games in his correct position.

Murphy needs to keep improving and adapting if he wants a long term spot, particularly when guys like Pedlar and Cook start pushing for games. I like him pushing up the ground to contest the odd centre bounce - both he and Ned are good at winning the ball at ground level and are desperate defensively.

I'm glad he has resigned but being rated within the '4 walls' is a terrible argument to use. Burton is elite in that case and Dmac is a star.
Cop that those Murphy doubters, obviously highly valued within the the 4 walls of the AFC. Several of Smurph's takeaways from both centre bounces and stoppages have been the cleanest and highest quality of any of our mids this season....not just a small pressure forward!!!

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back