Opinion Its round one

Remove this Banner Ad

One loss, dont be the supporters who go from a summer of talking up great depth and flag hopes to saying we are overrated based on one loss.

We could easily win every game for the rest of the year, today was only worth 4 points. Teams lose games, top teams lose to bottom teams.

Its too early to write any team off let alone ours, we know they are capable of much more, so at least wait a few weeks to turn, opposition fans cam lap it up and enjoy it all they like, but stuff em

This is a great club, its a s**t night. But its one night

It was GWS. I would understand if we lost to Carlton or Port Adelaide but we lost to GWS.

Hey they are top 2 at the moment.

Are they that bad still? 27 first round picks, added senior players including 3 premiership players, they have talent.

But even if they lose every other game and are pathetic, again its one week thats all im saying. Its annoying to be one of the first to lose to them. But geez who do they want to beat more than anyone else, i dunno, i just think its frustrating to turn completely on one result, be disappointed, be embarrassed but keep the faith as wanky as it sounds

Hey they are top 2 at the moment.

Are they that bad still? 27 first round picks, added senior players including 3 premiership players, they have talent.

But even if they lose every other game and are pathetic, again its one week thats all im saying. Its annoying to be one of the first to lose to them. But geez who do they want to beat more than anyone else, i dunno, i just think its frustrating to turn completely on one result, be disappointed, be embarrassed but keep the faith as wanky as it sounds

They only won one game last year. Now I was expecting them to improve this year of course but they still only won one game last year.

Also it isn't just this game. I have seen us lose exactly like that so many times since we beat Adelaide last year in round 10 or 11.

They only won one game last year. Now I was expecting them to improve this year of course but they still only won one game last year.

Also it isn't just this game. I have seen us lose exactly like that so many times since we beat Adelaide last year in round 10 or 11.

Seen some good efforts too since then

Gws are better

I dunno 9-6 since then isnt too bad, havent seen a full strength side since then

I dont know what my point is, i just want to feel better

Rubbish what we served up was s**t. Fair enough round one where always sloppy, but we fell apart at the seam's kept. trying the same s**t that doesn't work time after time. Clearly we have no plan B, I may be alone in thinking GWS weren't that good. We were just piss poor. Developing a reputation as front runners. It's going to be a long winter, if we can't bounce back against Collingwood we'll drop out of the 8. Worst performance since the port game last year.

round 1? shouldn't matter. That was s**t, embarrassing s**t. Most shameful loss I have had the displeasure to watch.

round 1? shouldn't matter. That was s**t, embarrassing s**t. Most shameful loss I have had the displeasure to watch.

Agreed its the worst ive felt after a loss, its awful and they need to lift big time, but theres 21 more games to get it right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its r2 in 14 days and I cant see much changing to be honest , high bombs , poor skills will still be shown up even more against Freo , Hawks etc

Yup if we dish the same crap up again its going to be a long year down the bottom, hopefully we dont

It was GWS. I would understand if we lost to Carlton or Port Adelaide but we lost to GWS.
See: Gold Coast's improvement last year. Also we were slow starters last year as well, took til about round 8 to really get going.

Not hitting the panic button just yet. I do think however we have truly become a really s**t we weather team.

We suck at wet weather but considering Sydney has a lot of wet stormy type days I am puzzled why we can't play wet weather?

Are we just shown more as lacking pace due yo heavier legs in the wet? We really arnt that speedy to begin with.

It wont change , im still dumb founded at our game style tonight , tv does not justify it
While I agree generally we actually had more examples of players trying to hit a forward in the lead. It's just that the forwards kept dropping it or kicking it oobotf. More broadly it is skills and ability.

I think our game style has been problematic for six months but I also have real doubts about our depth. No rok, goodes, jack and we become so reliant on jpk. No mummy means it is all on pyke. We don't seem to be able to win it around stoppages at all. Even the part of the game when we were dominant was because our defensive structure made them win the ball and give it back to us, it was not a situation where we won the contested ball inside fifty.

And every other team has worked out how to defend the slingshot.

Finally wet weather highlights the flaws in our game plan. The need to hand pass the ball backwards of the contest to free up a player is in trouble because opponents are sitting on us goal side of the stoppage and the pressure is coming from that side. This is compounded in wet weather because no one has clean hands. The htb decision against mal in the second quarter was a classic example, but we have seen it over and over in the last six-ten games where we go backwards and fumble repeatedly either turning the ball over with all our players in front of the ball or hoisting it to the wing where we have one lumbering forward (Pylke, Tippett, lrt) or even two against three defenders. Unless we spoil it over the boundary we are stuffed.

I am sorry it's not the recruitment of Tippett or buddy sewing discontent. Go and watch the Geelong game from last year or port or collingwood - even Melbourne or western bulldogs. It's game style and personnel on and behind the ball. We simply can't win it in contests and are under too much pressure when we do and the 15 players inside defensive fifty mean that our scrambly kicks out are simply giving the ball back and inviting more pressure.

Lastly everyone knows pyke has only one tap in ruck contest - a soft lay it down within two metres of the contest. We need him to occasionally clear the ball by just hit tint it as far as he can (but not goal side to callan ward ten metres out from their goal). Predictability is a curse.

I'm patient, it's round 1 and have no doubt the Giants built their motivation over summer to beat us in rd 1, we I believe had the fire missing from the gut for this one, no excuses.
But I will say, I'll back the pride of the club & the playing group to be very much hurt by this, and they will again remind themselves there are NO guarantees in life and you always need to work hard or you lose.
We'll bounce back, we are too good not to!
Hold the faith

Too many are confusing a poor game plan with an awful effort, we do resort to some wowful stuff when we play poorly but one loss and some become game plan experts who knew all along we were stuffed

Time will tell on the loss, are gws improved? Are we not as good as thought? Was it a one off for both teams?

GAME PLAN , TEAM ON PAPER HAS NO EXCUSES

No they dont they should of won, at 3/4 time we should of won

But it does not mean the side cant play or has a poor game plan yet, it means they were pathetic

We suck at wet weather but considering Sydney has a lot of wet stormy type days I am puzzled why we can't play wet weather?

Are we just shown more as lacking pace due yo heavier legs in the wet? We really arnt that speedy to begin with.

We actually don't suck at truly wet weather like Carlton and Essendon last year where our big bodied mids just go in hard and the ball is just knocked and soccered forward until somebody can fluke a goal.

Where we do seem to suck is when the ball is slippery from drizzle or just night dew and our short handball chains out of the clearances just break down time and time again like yesterday and Port/Freo PF etc last year. It's why we seem to have been an infinitely better team in the day then in the night over the past 3 or 4 seasons imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back