It's time for Mick to accept his body is no longer up to it

Remove this Banner Ad

crazyhorse

Draftee
Mar 11, 2002
Sydney
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I hate to say this but I think Mick should do what his body has been telling him to do for the past two years - hang up the boots. He's been great for many years and a player I consider to be very underrated - particularly by opposition supporters. He was probably our 2nd most important player (not necessarily our second best) behind the great man throughout the second part of the decade but I'm afraid his time is up. Paging Mr Baird...

Fair point I guess BUT there would be nothing gained by Mick retiring right now. We have no suitable rookies to replace him IMHO.

Baird looks like replacing Abraham for the whole season while Abraham is injured.

Our other rookies, Tregenza and Morrell are not ready to step up yet - Tregenza hasn't even played a VFL game in his 15 or so months with us (due to injury) and Morrell is still injured with OP and wouldn't push for senior selection for another month or two.

I'm sure there's one more rookie - Stuart Cooper I think. Still a bit young and skinny and while he shows a bit, isn't ready for the big stuff just yet. Probably best used as a forward anyhow and that's not what we need at the moment.

So with no replacements, retirement & rookie elevation for Mick is not really an option. By the time Morrell becomes available, Martyn may well be fighting fit again. Nothing to lose by leaving him on the list at least until someone actually raises their hand to replace him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back