It's time for the AFL to share the love

Remove this Banner Ad

No, the AFL have always done it that way and it's not worth changing now after 120 years. There is an existing association attached to premiership medals anyway, they are seen by players as what you get for being there on the day (Leon Davis for example has a premiership medal but gave it away), they're earnt, not given.

This doesn't mean that the club can't do something though. As much as it's seen as 'American', the idea of rings carries a lot of merit. The club has full freedom to decide who gets one (all players, all coaches, etc.), and it's a far more functional reward than a medal as it can be worn anytime without looking too FIGJAM. Clubs make millions off premiership merch, 5 figures spent minting a bunch of custom rings seems worth the effort.

The AFL have their way, rather than try change theirs, we should have our own. :rainbow:
iloveitopt-350.gif laughing.gif

My only concern with all of this is when I wiki the 2019 GF I will only see 22 players named , so the reality is that nobody will ever remember the others on the list. I think 🤔 it needs to be an internal thing within the club. Also a good point was made that only 22 players became life members in 17 and the extra few in 19, so the truth is clubs don’t recognise it so why should the AFL?????

That's a great idea, I really love the concept of the Gold & Silver medals. How do we go about bringing this to the AFL attention?

I feel that this topic get's spoken about every year but nothing happens.

Why is it that the AFL haven't listened to the supporters and players?

Is it a cost issue?

It wouldn't be that hard to implement and I really can't see any reason to deny them a medal.

Come on AFL do something!
Yeah - The Olympics give Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals to organisers depending on what level of contribution - AND not everyone gets one who thinks they should

Reckon that the club could just do it itself. It makes sense to me that everyone that played in the AFL that premiership year is part of the reason the team won.

But if the AFL won't do it, we can just look after it ourselves. Show that the club genuinely values the players work in winning the ultimate.

And while we're at it something for the support staff. They would be so chuffed to have something permanent to show they were part of the premiership.

Its a weird one

i feel this year its more pronounced as the entire top 4 was seperated by %, so if we lost any of the games we won were finishing bottom of the 8 and doing it the hard way

the wins in particular im looking at were the port and freo away wins when we were down and out, the way the season played out those wins were just as important to us winning the flag as any other really.

but then you get years where the top 2-3 teams are a few games ahead of everyone else and your one game contribution in round 15 doesnt really matter that much

hard one, though i wouldnt be opposed to the club organising something for the blokes that missed out

This is a topic that really get's me going.

It's time for AFL to award Premiership Medallions to every player that played a senior game within the Premiership year.
If our club can lead the way in mental health well beaning and making all players feel included and valued,
it's time for the AFL to step up and live some of those values.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Stacky, Ross, Balta, Chol, Kmac, Eggman, Naish, Fridge, Tross and others receive a medal.
Without these guys we would have been farked this year.
Isn't footy a team sport?
Like other team sports these guys deserve a medal.

Come on AFL make it happen.

I reckon the club could get a medal made for every player on the list -- would be just as valued as an AFL medal and really say something about our club's values.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back