Prediction It's Time for Zippedy Doedee!!

Should we debut Doedee this week

• Yes

Votes: 63 49.2%
  • Of course

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Should have played last week

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I wanted Ryan Burton and am still miserable and can't support this lad.

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Does a bear s**t in the woods?

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Yes yes yes

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I can't believe you're even asking. YES.

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread and the Lever threads make for some very interesting reading.

Not sure if Doedee is a quality player or if he is just another player that looks like a million dollars playing as the loose/3rd tall (Reilly, Hendo, Lever, etc).
He's quality.

Can play lockdown too.

Not a one trick pony.

Not sure if Doedee is a quality player or if he is just another player that looks like a million dollars playing as the loose/3rd tall (Reilly, Hendo, Lever, etc).
Sorry but quality player is such a weird scale to use.

Reilly was a quality player.
Hendo is a quality player.
Lever is a quality player.
Doedee is a quality player.

Lever needs to be played in the right role to be effective. We saw how good he can be, and once Melbourne stop trying to make him into something he is not ... he will thrive again.

I personally think Doedee has the attributes to be a superstar. Forget the comparison with Lever, I'm thinking more like a Corey Enright level of brilliance.

Doedee has come in and performed at very high level from game 1. Yes, this is his third year on our list, but he hasn’t played an AFL game before this year (and hadn’t played that many games of Aussie Rules, having come to the sport late). Helpful structure or not, I think he’s currently performing well above expectations.

Doedee is a third tall but I don’t think he’s playing as the loose defender, sure he peels off because he’s such a good reader of the play, but he’s got an opponent he has to defend and he defends very well when he has to.

Reilly didn’t actually have an opponent, he played as the 7th defender, no wonder he cleaned up. As soon as the opposition woke up to the role he played and manned him up he resorted to being just Reilly.

Sorry but quality player is such a weird scale to use.

Reilly was a quality player.
Hendo is a quality player.
Lever is a quality player.
Doedee is a quality player.

Lever needs to be played in the right role to be effective. We saw how good he can be, and once Melbourne stop trying to make him into something he is not ... he will thrive again.

I personally think Doedee has the attributes to be a superstar. Forget the comparison with Lever, I'm thinking more like a Corey Enright level of brilliance.

Quality player was probably far too vague. I guess my question is - is Doedee as good as everyone on here thinks he is - or is he just benefiting from our system, structure and playing alongside a fantastic lock down fullback in Talia?

Its especially relevant since we were all going crazy about Lever in almost the exact same way no more than 12 months ago.

Quality player was probably far too vague. I guess my question is - is Doedee as good as everyone on here thinks he is - or is he just benefiting from our system, structure and playing alongside a fantastic lock down fullback in Talia?

Its especially relevant since we were all going crazy about Lever in almost the exact same way no more than 12 months ago.

Probably both. Doedees last month has been as good as anything Lever has done for us (and that's no knock, Lever killed this position) which indicates he's quality.

But he's equally likely to be benefitting from Talia and co.

As the year wore on we saw Lever being exposed when he had to defend, we’ve already seen that Doedee can defend so that doubt isn’t there.

He's quality.

Can play lockdown too.

Not a one trick pony.
Agreed! One of Doedee's real strengths is his ability to defend one on one. While he can play on smalls, mediums and talls, every now and then he will fing it tough in real tall key forwards as was evident in round one against Stewart. Granted it was his first game but even though Tom has inspector gadget arms that allow him to play on talls, there is a limit on they types of talls he can play on.

A very very good player already. His aerial work is impressive but it is his clean take and patience on the contested ground ball that has surprised me a bit. Could eventually transition into the midfield.

I don't think you'll know the real answer to that until Doedee plays in a different team (hope not), the players in our defence change significantly (hope not), or Doedee shifts to another area, such as midfield.

I don't think you'll know the real answer to that until Doedee plays in a different team (hope not), the players in our defence change significantly (hope not), or Doedee shifts to another area, such as midfield.
You need to look at Doedee's work in SANFL. Sure it is a lower level and all, but he certainly didn't have the luxury of having Talia and Hartigan next to him every week.

You need to look at Doedee's work in SANFL. Sure it is a lower level and all, but he certainly didn't have the luxury of having Talia and Hartigan next to him every week.
I think the fact that it was at SANFL level makes it hard. There are some players that look like guns at SANFL level, that can't translate that to the AFL. Similarly, there are players that look a bit above average in the SANFL, that seemingly get better at AFL level.

Personally I'm just happy that he's playing awesomely for our AFL team. For a guy that has played 6 games, it really is impressive, so don't think I'm knocking the guy at all. He's doing a fantastic job.

I think the fact that it was at SANFL level makes it hard. There are some players that look like guns at SANFL level, that can't translate that to the AFL. Similarly, there are players that look a bit above average in the SANFL, that seemingly get better at AFL level.

Personally I'm just happy that he's playing awesomely for our AFL team. For a guy that has played 6 games, it really is impressive, so don't think I'm knocking the guy at all. He's doing a fantastic job.
Doedee was not a gun at SANFL he was very good at what he did. and you could he was working hard at improving,
But the biggest gain the Crows get from this kid is his infectious smile, And like Milera, they are the type of Players others enjoy playing with,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defenders Goal Kicking Leaderboard
47 - Smith (143 games)
11 - Brown (121 games)
9 - Laird (107 games)
6 - Talia (152 games)
1 - Hartigan (74 games)
0 - Keath (6 games)
0 - Doedee (6 games)
0 - Cheney (36 games) (41 games for 2 goals at Melb/Haw)
0 - Kelly (39 games)

Guys who've played a fair bit of footy elsewhere too:
55 - Mackay (190 games)
38 - Otten (100 games)
13 - Milera (29 games)

All he has to be is a quality player within our system , not someone else's system

The key thing is he's versatile and can defend a range of opponents as well as intercept and use the ball well

Added to that his inexperience in a football sense and fact he's only had 1 full pre season he looks an absolute gem for the now and future

Agreed! One of Doedee's real strengths is his ability to defend one on one. While he can play on smalls, mediums and talls, every now and then he will fing it tough in real tall key forwards as was evident in round one against Stewart. Granted it was his first game but even though Tom has inspector gadget arms that allow him to play on talls, there is a limit on they types of talls he can play on.

A very very good player already. His aerial work is impressive but it is his clean take and patience on the contested ground ball that has surprised me a bit. Could eventually transition into the midfield.
Agreed fully other until the last sentence

All he has to be is a quality player within our system , not someone else's system

The key thing is he's versatile and can defend a range of opponents as well as intercept and use the ball well

Added to that his inexperience in a football sense and fact he's only had 1 full pre season he looks an absolute gem for the now and future

Thats my #1 concern. We can develop em, we can't keep em.

Defenders Goal Kicking Leaderboard
47 - Smith (143 games)
11 - Brown (121 games)
9 - Laird (107 games)
6 - Talia (152 games)
1 - Hartigan (74 games)
0 - Keath (6 games)
0 - Doedee (6 games)
0 - Cheney (36 games) (41 games for 2 goals at Melb/Haw)
0 - Kelly (39 games)

Guys who've played a fair bit of footy elsewhere too:
55 - Mackay (190 games)
38 - Otten (100 games)
13 - Milera (29 games)
So basically Smith, Brown, Laird and Talia could be expected to combine for about 12 goals per season on average (and we scored nearly 400 goals as a team last year). Don't expect any goals from any other defenders.

I don't think you can simply place players on a "quality" scale. Players have different strengths which make them suitable for certain roles as opposed to others. Lever has a skill set that makes him extremely valuable if used appropriately (ie as loose defender or even third tall). He's not very valuable if used inappropriately (ie as a KPD).

Does that mean he has less "quality" than a player who does reasonably well without excelling in all positions? I don't think that's necessarily the case.

I always think people are too quick to use "of course he does well as a loose defender" as an excuse to pot a player. Yes, it's a lower pressure position. But there's a big difference between a player who just plays that role, and one who excels at it. A player who excels at it, even if they're poor in other roles, is very valuable to the side.

Well, at least when they leave they struggle elsewhere :p

The problem is that Melbourne isn't paying him to play the role he's effective in, they're paying for more, and the role he's currently playing reflects that expectation.

As long as they overpay and then ideally struggle in other systems, it's a moot point. I.e. losing Lever hasn't hurt us in the slightest.

Losing players only becomes a problem when they are integral to the system (I.e. Dangerfield/Tippett) not made by it. If they are made by it they are very replaceable and to take a step further doesn't matter if we lose them providing we get good value (I.e. Lever, and Cameron to a degree).

As long as they overpay and then ideally struggle in other systems, it's a moot point. I.e. losing Lever hasn't hurt us in the slightest.

Losing players only becomes a problem when they are integral to the system (I.e. Dangerfield/Tippett) not made by it. If they are made by it they are very replaceable and to take a step further doesn't matter if we lose them providing we get good value (I.e. Lever, and Cameron to a degree).
I don’t think Tippett was integral. Jenkins filled his spot pretty much straight away. Dangerfield was one that was basically impossible to replace with one player.

Back