Prediction It's Time for Zippedy Doedee!!

Should we debut Doedee this week

• Yes

Votes: 63 49.2%
  • Of course

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Should have played last week

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I wanted Ryan Burton and am still miserable and can't support this lad.

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Does a bear s**t in the woods?

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Yes yes yes

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I can't believe you're even asking. YES.

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He's gone.
Doedee, Lever, Gov, Cameron all requesting trades at the end of the year.

We should just fold.

Disclaimer: I'm hungry so my emotions are not in check

Not looking good for Doedee.

Behind Talia, Hartigan, Lever, Otten, Keath and Kelly. Can't get a game with Hartigan, Lever and Cheney injured.

Coaches don't want make the same mistake as last year when we went too short so will keep three 190+. Doedee was injured for rd 1 so Kelly gets in first and has performed well enough to hold his spot.

I think Doedee is great and definitely in line for selection. However I agree with the Keith selection this week as you always want the height advantage where possible.

Ideally we have Doedee play on mediums and smalls.

Just because he can play on taller opponents doesn't mean I want him to.

He's gone.
Doedee, Lever, Gov, Cameron all requesting trades at the end of the year.

We should just fold.

Disclaimer: I'm hungry so my emotions are not in check
Grab a donut and iced coffee. Just warn the wife.

I believe the correct decision was made on Doedee for this particular game for 2 reasons:

1) Matchups. Assuming the teams line up as named, the defensive matchups are as follows:

Talia on Hawkins
Kelly on Dangerfield
Smith on Parsons / Murdoch
Laird on Murdoch / Parsons
Brown on Menzel
Otten and Keath on whichever two of Stanley / Taylor / Blicavs are up forward at any given time.

If Dangerfield doesn't play, Kelly will likely switch to his replacement which will be Aaron Black I would've thought (assuming he travelled).

Now, at 189cm with no AFL experience, I don't really like Doedee on any of these players other than Menzel (and Black, if he plays). The Geelong forward line just doesn't really scream "Doedee fits nicely here" to me. Keath's height and strength is much more suitable against the likes of Taylor and Stanley, and is more of a need in the absence of both Hartigan and Lever.

2) His kicking. Without doubt, anyone who has watched Doedee play in the SANFL regularly over the last 12 months will tell you that his main weakness is his disposal by foot. One of the major reasons why Geelong have dominated us over the last few years is their ability to force us into repeated #shitkicks to the wing / half forward line, forcing turnovers and then relentlessly drilling it back inside our defensive 50. Keath in comparison is a very reliable and penetrating kick.

I have no doubt Doedee will forge a pretty successful AFL career at some stage. A debut this week in a side containing a fit Luke Brown and an in form Jake Kelly just wasn't the right fit against this particular opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which haters? He doesn't seem to have more than three. It's just one posts excessively and irrationally about him.

Even then I wouldn't call marty a hater, more someone that just feels the need to get the last word in, and is willing have a circular argument till the other gives up.

I liked the Doedee pick, was left field but was a player that looked like he had a massive ceiling due to how quickly he had developed in the year before he got drafted. He needs to move to the midfield to be able to make it here though as he won't replace Lever if he goes, and Kelly is getting harder and harder to displace. Considering Milera was a pretty safe pick, I have no issue if this one is a bust - even if there was a highly rated SA player who also had issues nearby.

I believe the correct decision was made on Doedee for this particular game for 2 reasons:

1) Matchups. Assuming the teams line up as named, the defensive matchups are as follows:

Talia on Hawkins
Kelly on Dangerfield
Smith on Parsons / Murdoch
Laird on Murdoch / Parsons
Brown on Menzel
Otten and Keath on whichever two of Stanley / Taylor / Blicavs are up forward at any given time.

If Dangerfield doesn't play, Kelly will likely switch to his replacement which will be Aaron Black I would've thought (assuming he travelled).

Now, at 189cm with no AFL experience, I don't really like Doedee on any of these players other than Menzel (and Black, if he plays). The Geelong forward line just doesn't really scream "Doedee fits nicely here" to me. Keath's height and strength is much more suitable against the likes of Taylor and Stanley, and is more of a need in the absence of both Hartigan and Lever.

2) His kicking. Without doubt, anyone who has watched Doedee play in the SANFL regularly over the last 12 months will tell you that his main weakness is his disposal by foot. One of the major reasons why Geelong have dominated us over the last few years is their ability to force us into repeated #shitkicks to the wing / half forward line, forcing turnovers and then relentlessly drilling it back inside our defensive 50. Keath in comparison is a very reliable and penetrating kick.

I have no doubt Doedee will forge a pretty successful AFL career at some stage. A debut this week in a side containing a fit Luke Brown and an in form Jake Kelly just wasn't the right fit against this particular opponent.
Wasn't Keath matched up on Menzel for a reasonable amount of time?

Not sure how Doedee gets in the team. Always thought it would be for Kelly (I still think it should be eventually) but he is putting in some reasonable performances to not really warrant being dropped.

Brown is wasted in defence I reckon, i really think he could be valuable further up the ground.

Kelly to Browns role ultimately wth the ability to play mediums and smalls. Doedee to medium defender.

Brown is wasted in defence I reckon, i really think he could be valuable further up the ground.

Kelly to Browns role ultimately wth the ability to play mediums and smalls. Doedee to medium defender.
I don't think Kelly has the pace. Brown is quick. Kelly lacks pace and strength. His competitiveness is what keeps him going.

I don't think Kelly has the pace. Brown is quick. Kelly lacks pace and strength. His competitiveness is what keeps him going.
Pace maybe, but I'd say he'd be very embarrassed of he wasn't as strong as brown.

I think Kelly would play the role slightly differently and use his size more. You've seen medium sized defenders do well against Betts, even though they are significantly slower.

Anyway, I'd like him tried in that role at some stage.

Brown is literally our best shot at goal! He's freakishly good. Can bomb it 60m too and reads the play exceptionally well.

But the amount of 1v1s he wins deep in defence, he's just too valuable down there. How many times have we seen a small forward running into the 50 chasing down a loose ball, with Brown not on his tail, and he NEVER loses out. Always keeps his feet, wins the ball and gets it to a team mate. He's so underrated at everything he does.

We just need to get him the ball more often.

Back