Roast It's time to pay off the AFL and buy our soul back

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. As much as Victorians are stinky and virus prone, I envy how close they feel to their football clubs.

We on the other hand we are more like, in the words of AFC chief operating officer Nigel Smart, 'customers'.

Arms length and hand over your money for a seat and a scarf.
Do they though?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
The idea that we could buy out the AFL's ownership of the Crows is complete fantasy.

The AFL controls the AFC board. The AFC board makes decisions on behalf of the club. AFL = AFC board. Therefore the board is not going to recommend a break away from itself and that is the conflict of interest that Griffin is demonstrating.

We're completely f’ed unless the AFL suddenly acknowledge the existence of the conflict and not just for us, for the other clubs in this situation - lol

I doubt the AFL could have envisioned such a colossal utensil up by a board. The AO uplift is being pissed away on a production company, esports and baseball to the extent that our footy dept can't even be funded to the full extent of the soft cap. We're a toxic organisation that can't attract quality into any role. We're going to be down the bottom for a couple of years at least, so crowds and season tickets will naturally drop off accordingly. Where we'll have to remove even more funding from the footy dept. We'll have even more trouble holding onto quality youth. The AFL aren't great at making decisions, but they eventually will when we're needing special assistance.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is scandalous though.

AFL gives us huge sanctions over Tippett... but doesn’t demand anyone’s resignation?

Rendell makes some clumsy but well intentioned comments - demands his resignation.

The AFC brings themselves and arguably the AFL itself into disrepute by their engagement of Collective Minds and specifically the negligence of the camp... the AFL doesn’t demand any accountability at management level.

What the fu**?
Almost as though the AFL wants us to fail so that we are never in a position to buy back our licence. I would prefer private ownership. It would at least give the club some chance of being successful onfield as long as we didn't have a James Dolan running the show.

slice

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2008
Malbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I doubt the AFL could have envisioned such a colossal utensil up by a board. The AO uplift is being pissed away on a production company, esports and baseball to the extent that our footy dept can't even be funded to the full extent of the soft cap. We're a toxic organisation that can't attract quality into any role. We're going to be down the bottom for a couple of years at least, so crowds and season tickets will naturally drop off accordingly. Where we'll have to remove even more funding from the footy dept. We'll have even more trouble holding onto quality youth. The AFL aren't great at making decisions, but they eventually will when we're needing special assistance.

Yep, it's an interesting little tension for the AFL. On the one hand, the club is performing financially and is building a number of other potential revenue streams but on the other, it has almost abandoned its core purpose, football. If the AFL steps in to get the club to focus on its core purpose, it brings to the fore the conflict of interest and influence it has over a so called independent club.

I think as long as the club keeps making its repayments (which it will do easily and regardless of on-field performance), the AFL will sit idly and point to the Crows having been competitive for so long that it is natural for them to go into a dip before a recovery. But there's every chance the dip becomes a new baseline as it did with Richmond, Melbourne and Carlton....

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, it's an interesting little tension for the AFL. On the one hand, the club is performing financially and is building a number of other potential revenue streams but on the other, it has almost abandoned its core purpose, football. If the AFL steps in to get the club to focus on its core purpose, it brings to the fore the conflict of interest and influence it has over a so called independent club.

I think as long as the club keeps making its repayments (which it will do easily and regardless of on-field performance), the AFL will sit idly and point to the Crows having been competitive for so long that it is natural for them to go into a dip before a recovery. But there's every chance the dip becomes a new baseline as it did with Richmond, Melbourne and Carlton....

We are in for a period darker than any of the clubs experienced.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Yep. As much as Victorians are stinky and virus prone, I envy how close they feel to their football clubs.

We on the other hand we are more like, in the words of AFC chief operating officer Nigel Smart, 'customers'.

Arms length and hand over your money for a seat and a scarf.
Is that in part due to how our club was founded, ie to represent the SANFL in the AFL.

Many here feel close to the SANFL club they support ie a real club.

Victorian AFL clubs grew out of being local VFL clubs.

Interesting though Port are exactly like us in the way the club is structured. Yet the sense of belonging is there due to the roots of the SANFL club they stemmed from (abd ultimately took over). Plus good marketing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We are in for a period darker than any of the clubs experienced.

I'm sure some Melbourne supporters are screeching "you have no idea what true pain is" reading this. Saints too.

After all, they've been through a decade from hell to only get out of it for about 1 year before being plunged straight back into darkness.

We have to be pitifully bad for a while before we get to share our war stories at that table.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Them funding the soft cap isn't the issue. They spend as much as any other side. They choose to spend it on people they know, mates of the club and long-term employees because they're "good people". It's the same buddy-buddy, nepotistic system that runs from the board, all the way down through the football department.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Griffin backed Adelaide 36ers basketball owner Grant Kelley’s push to join the Crows board – with the eye to be Chapman’s successor – and has taken issue with how that move was blocked by the Adelaide Football Club nomination panel led by vice-chairman Jim Hazel.

Griffin believes that call belongs solely with the club’s members on a ballot paper. He also wants a “football person” to lead the board, as was the case with the late Bob Hammond and Bill Sanders before Chapman. He is prepared to nominate Norwood Football Club (SANFL) president and Campbelltown City Council chief executive Paul Di Iulio to replace Chapman.

I have to admit, I am finding this change in Chairman fascinating.

Griffin appears to be completely undermining Chapman in every single way possible. I'm not saying this is good, just fascinating .

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

I have to admit, I am finding this change in Chairman fascinating.

Griffin appears to be completely undermining Chapman in every single way possible. I'm not saying this is good, just fascinating .

It’s heartening that there is at least a challenge to the status quo.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not giving a single cent to the Crows unless it comes with our entire board being replaced.

If the entire board agrees to step down and we have competent people taking their place I'll chip in $500 without a second thought and actually start being a member again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree with the objective of a member-elected board however it requires (i) the AFL to agree to give up its powers and (ii) the current Board to support a process whose ultimate objective is their removal...not sure the odds are great.

PS Did you know that Putin just changed the Russian constitution (again) to allow him to remain in power until something like 2036...don't put it past the AFL/AFC to do something similar!!

Klug

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens FC
I agree with the objective of a member-elected board however it requires (i) the AFL to agree to give up its powers and (ii) the current Board to support a process whose ultimate objective is their removal...not sure the odds are great.

PS Did you know that Putin just changed the Russian constitution (again) to allow him to remain in power until something like 2036...don't put it past the AFL/AFC to do something similar!!

Remember the AFL quietly signed a 50+ year deal for the GF to be at the MCG, during a time when non-Vic teams were challenging why the GF always there.

That is absolutely outrageous, and never got significant scrutiny from anyone in the media. They are all scared of being frozen out and losing their jobs, so they leave it alone.

It’s heartening that there is at least a challenge to the status quo.

Is it just swinging from one nepotistic s**t-show to another though, especially as it seems in defence of Kelley?

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Remember the AFL quietly signed a 50+ year deal for the GF to be at the MCG, during a time when non-Vic teams were challenging why the GF always there.

That is absolutely outrageous, and never got significant scrutiny from anyone in the media. They are all scared of being frozen out and losing their jobs, so they leave it alone.
Bloody scandalous. The fact they snuck it in and there was no discussion and consensus was disgusting. McGuire screwed over every non victorian team. I actually think the superbowl system of it changing locations every year adds a great deal to the game and is a true celebration for that city. If the Afl wants a fair and equitable system they need to tear up their corrupt agreement and bring the game back to all fans.

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I have been advocating this for Port for some time. Our boards are accountable to those who appoint them, the AFL, not the members. There is history though. The Swans were controlled by the AFL when they got a bail-out and ultimately control was passed back to the members.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bloody scandalous. The fact they snuck it in and there was no discussion and consensus was disgusting. McGuire screwed over every non victorian team. I actually think the superbowl system of it changing locations every year adds a great deal to the game and is a true celebration for that city. If the Afl wants a fair and equitable system they need to tear up their corrupt agreement and bring the game back to all fans.
Huh, the AFL commission controls the AFL and the commission is made up of 10 Victorian clubs and 8 non victorian clubs

We signed up to that we must live with that

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In a populist vote the average member has no chance.

BTW we do have two member appointed Board members.

Anyone here confident these two guys would present the views of members to the Board now? Email them and ask them to air your views at the next Board meeting. It won't happen.

I am all for us members appointing the Board. But it is not the cure of our current issues.

It is a romantic notion that all democratically elected Board members represent those who elected them, the reality is different.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
When the AFC pay off their debt and the members do vote in the board

You are 100% right it will be a popularity contest, Roo would undoubtedly be voted in, who knows that brain surgeon T Modra may be chairman

Need to be careful what you wish for

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

If.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Inside the Crows' downfall: Rebuilding a team - and repairing a club

Change is happening. Let's hope the right people are appointed. Next 5 years are critical for the club. I feel the club will need to work with Afl to help fill some key positions in the executive and football dept. They obviously have a lot of relationships with competent people around the industry and could help with our appointments. I feel the current board should all stand down. They have been a disaster. Would like to see the constitution changed with members voting on at least 70% of board positions.

Last edited:

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The whole point of buying back our licence would be to change the constitution to that of a real football club like the Victorian clubs.

Look at Richmond. They were going shithouse. A group put together a spill motion. Next minute the board conducts a serious review (not like our farcical post-season charade) and then bang.

Accountability is a powerful tool. We don't have it.
Using a Victorian club with full AFL support...that is gifted MCG games running into finals and then plays the GF on home soil guaranteed irrespective of where they finish on the ladder....is probably a bad example of "a well run club"
Its much easier to succeed when the deck is stacked in your favour by the governing body.

Id suggest we look to West Coast for more inspiration and examples on how to successfully structure the club as a "expansion" club (VFL cash cow)

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Just reinforces my decision in September last year to cancel my membership and distance myself financially and emotionally from the club. They've lost me. Whilst I post here a bit and "follow" it - mainly to watch the young players development - I'd classify myself now as a vaguely interested observer of the club, who actually dislikes the league. I'm actually enjoying it. Until I see genuine change at an administration level (which won't happen, by design) then long may it continue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back