Roast It's time to pay off the AFL and buy our soul back

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reinforces my decision in September last year to cancel my membership and distance myself financially and emotionally from the club. They've lost me. Whilst I post here a bit and "follow" it - mainly to watch the young players development - I'd classify myself now as a vaguely interested observer of the club, who actually dislikes the league. I'm actually enjoying it. Until I see genuine change at an administration level (which won't happen, by design) then long may it continue.
Likewise.

I'd be back in an instant if i saw enough change.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

You don't think members would've voted for a spill in the last couple years? Seriously?

Like Churchill said, democracy isn't perfect but it's the least worst system we have (or words to that effect).
I believe you're right, while some members would not participate, there would be enough members willing to call for a special meeting and from there call for a general election of the board.
My Opinion only, If the Crows were Members Owned, the Member would have Voted for a Spill after the Tippert saga and again after 2019,
There were and still are Promionemt Members and Business people that would have put up there names and money to make a serious run for a board seat,
Currently, these people are still around, some making noise today other working behind the scenes.

When the AFC pay off their debt and the members do vote in the board

You are 100% right it will be a popularity contest, Roo would undoubtedly be voted in, who knows that brain surgeon T Modra may be chairman

Need to be careful what you wish for

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not today
Years ago maybe, But these Days Members research more and the Social media outlets allow for a more robust system of getting a message across,
Also in the Crows case, it would be a Ticket rather than individuals.

Just reinforces my decision in September last year to cancel my membership and distance myself financially and emotionally from the club. They've lost me. Whilst I post here a bit and "follow" it - mainly to watch the young players development - I'd classify myself now as a vaguely interested observer of the club, who actually dislikes the league. I'm actually enjoying it. Until I see genuine change at an administration level (which won't happen, by design) then long may it continue.
No, I have supported Centrals, thru the bad times and good times, at no time did I ever contemplate walking away,
I will do the same with the Crows When I support a club it thru good times and bad times, The Victory tastes better when you know you stuck by the Club,
There are Other ways to inform the Club of your displeasure, sometimes it takes time,

Not today
Years ago maybe, But these Days Members research more and the Social media outlets allow for a more robust system of getting a message across,
Also in the Crows case, it would be a Ticket rather than individuals.
I agree when it comes to shareholders of listed companies

But sadly this is a pastime and players like Macca, Roo, Mods, Rehn, Goody, Jars hold the hearts of the majority of supporters and that majority can determine the club, you would be in a minority unfortunately

Its simple - we have a spineless, weak, gutless board.

Full of invisible, unelected, rank and file paid 'yes' men/women. Nothing surprises me anymore with this club.

Any successful organisation starts from very the top down.

I agree when it comes to shareholders of listed companies

But sadly this is a pastime and players like Macca, Roo, Mods, Rehn, Goody, Jars hold the hearts of the majority of supporters and that majority can determine the club, you would be in a minority unfortunately

Not today the people that Vote do research and they will pick a few fan favourites but there will be some Highly respected non-football people on the tickets and they will win votes.
Plus it will be a ticket , calling for a change,
ie a G Cornes/Blighy backing a Kelley and Griffen 9Example Only)
Also I would not mind Rehn or a Liptak on the Board

Its simple - we have a spineless, weak, gutless board.

Full of invisible, unelected, rank and file paid 'yes' men/women. Nothing surprises me anymore with this club.

Any successful organisation starts from very the top down.
You need to look at who approves or appoints the majority of the board and what they are looking for in what they see as success

Putting the head of a bank as chairman gives them the best opportunity for off field financial stability and guess what, that worked, they would want a favorite son on the board for those true supporters that will follow through thick and thin, they have achieved that, then the other 5 who knows why they are there, then we have the members elect in Jamo and Ryder

Not today the people that Vote do research and they will pick a few fan favourites but there will be some Highly respected non-football people on the tickets and they will win votes.
Plus it will be a ticket , calling for a change,
ie a G Cornes/Blighy backing a Kelley and Griffen 9Example Only)
Also I would not mind Rehn or a Liptak on the Board
I know lippie he clearly doesn't have time

I think you are very wrong about the majority of supporters though, I am sure there is a minority like you, but its majority that gets you voted in

There are Other ways to inform the Club of your displeasure, sometimes it takes time,

I've communicated with the club at good and bad times over the journey. The only way they might consider change today is if members stop going, because they only care about the bottom line. They treat me like a customer so I act like one and take my capital elsewhere.

I've communicated with the club at good and bad times over the journey. The only way they might consider change today is if members stop going, because they only care about the bottom line. They treat me like a customer so I act like one and take my capital elsewhere.
Money talks but I always think it’s important for people to explain their reasoning and the issues they have around their decision, otherwise it gets lost in figures and vested interests within the club.

Inside the Crows' downfall: Rebuilding a team - and repairing a club

Change is happening. Let's hope the right people are appointed. Next 5 years are critical for the club. I feel the club will need to work with Afl to help fill some key positions in the executive and football dept. They obviously have a lot of relationships with competent people around the industry and could help with our appointments. I feel the current board should all stand down. They have been a disaster. Would like to see the constitution changed with members voting on at least 70% of board positions.

AFL will definitely be exerting influence. They've let it roll whilst we were hanging in there, not quite making the 8, being competitive, playing finals here and there and largely filling stadiums. But with our ongoing off-field incompetence and 2-3 years at the bottom, even the AFL realise that they need to act.

AFL will definitely be exerting influence. They've let it roll whilst we were hanging in there, not quite making the 8, being competitive, playing finals here and there and largely filling stadiums. But with our ongoing off-field incompetence and 2-3 years at the bottom, even the AFL realise that they need to act.
There always has to be a team at the bottom, that cant be avoided

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where has this belief come that we owe money to the AFL?

As far as I'm aware we are directly paying the SANFL every year (for 15 years) for our license and that's the option that the SANFL wanted.

When you factor those payments together with the 400k we pay to play in the SANFL we're handing them around 1.3 million a year.

The AFL negotiated with the SANFL for the release of the licenses and the conditions which our club clearly agreed to, but outside of that I don't think the AFL has any financial interest in it.

Where has this belief come that we owe money to the AFL?

As far as I'm aware we are directly paying the SANFL every year (for 15 years) for our license and that's the option that the SANFL wanted.

When you factor those payments together with the 400k we pay to play in the SANFL we're handing them around 1.3 million a year.

The AFL negotiated with the SANFL for the release of the licenses and the conditions which our club clearly agreed to, but outside of that I don't think the AFL has any financial interest in it.
AFL guaranteed the debt

Last edited:
Would the AFL really step in at this point.

Three years ago we were in a GF. We are financially stable, to the point we have not taken AFL money to see us through COVID.

There are a lot of clubs worse off than us.

Yes there is a groundswell in the media around the camp to highlight the clubs incompetence. I personally think that has started up this year in a push to ensure we dont get pick one.

The media hates this club and think they can push the AFL into taking picks off us.

Caro tried with the Barossa Camp.

Now they are going the GC Camp.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Three years ago we were in a GF. We are financially stable, to the point we have not taken AFL money to see us through COVID.

Yes there is a groundswell in the media around the camp to highlight the clubs incompetence. I personally think that has started up this year in a push to ensure we dont get pick one.

The media hates this club and think they can push the AFL into taking picks off us.

The AFL only step in on basket case clubs in financial crisis

Money talks and Adelaide will buy their way out of it, I mean dig

Probably why they want a financial whiz kid to be chairman of the club

I don't understand where this belief comes from that everyone has a vendetta against us.

The biggest obstacles the club has had are themselves and the SANFL.

We keep blaming everyone else and never the real culprits. The reason we're not in West Coast's league financially is because of the SANFL.

s**t stadium deals, paying 15.8 million dollars for a license (4 million initially and now a further 11.8 million now), having to pay millions for a grand stand at Footy Park, paying 400k to the SANFL just to have a reserves team in the league. A sub-license agreement that prevented us from operating a licensed venue and securing off field revenue.

No other club in the league has a financial handicap like this. Yet everyone keep blaming the wrong people for the reasons why we're not the club we should be.

This club was created by the SANFL as a cash cow and they've continually invented ways to drain almost every cent the club has made, the problem for us is that we've had too many SANFL sycophants running the club and no one ever pushed back.

The challenge this club has now is to stop the bleeding of money to the SANFL and build a new culture that chases success and tells the SANFL to get stuffed.

Last edited:
I don't understand where this belief comes from that everyone has a vandetta against us.

We keep blaming everyone else and never the real culprits. The reason we're not in West Coast's league financially is because of the SANFL.

sh*t stadium deals, paying 15.8 million dollars for a license (4 million initially and now a further 11.8 million now), having to pay millions for a grand stand at Footy Park, paying 400k to the SANFL just to have a reserves team in the league. A sub-license agreement that prevented us from operating a licensed venue and securing off field revenue.

No other club in the league has a financial handicap like this. Yet everyone keep blaming the wrong people for the reasons why we're not the club we should be.
Serious question, how would the AFC have paid for its initial licence fee

Serious question, how would the AFC have paid for its initial licence fee

But we paid it back, every cent yet the SANFL have asked for another 12 million to actually own it.

Why did the SANFL ask us initially to pay the license fee back if they never had any intention of giving us the license?

Why have the SANFL asked for 12 million for a license that we've already paid for?

Imagine lending your son 20k to buy a car and then once they've paid you the 20k back you turn around and ask them for 60k for them to actually own the car.

This is essentially what the SANFL have done with the license, it's criminal and no one has ever had the courage in the media or in club land to call it out.

Last edited:
I don't understand where this belief comes from that everyone has a vandetta against us.

sh*t stadium deals, paying 15.8 million dollars for a license (4 million initially and now a further 11.8 million now), having to pay millions for a grand stand at Footy Park, paying 400k to the SANFL just to have a reserves team in the league. A sub-license agreement that prevented us from operating a licensed venue and securing off field revenue.

This club was created by the SANFL as a cash cow and they've continually invented ways to drain almost every cent the club has made, the problem for us is that we've had too many SANFL sycophants running the club and no one ever pushed back.

The challenge this club has now is to stop the bleeding of money to the SANFL and build a new culture that chases success and tells the SANFL to get stuffed.
Agree with all this.

SANFL used us to ensure their comp remained "the second strongest comp in the land". As you say a cash cow.

Hasn't there been calls in the media for us to be punished for the GC Camp with draft sanctions?

Caro certainly suggested draft pick sanctions with the Barossa Camp.

Last edited:
But we paid it back, every cent yet the SANFL have asked for another 12 million to actually own it.

Why did the SANFL ask us initially to pay the license fee back if they never had any intention of giving us the license?

Why have the SANFL asked for 12 million for a license that we've already paid for?
The licence was leased or rented if that's easier for you to understand

The club was created and needed working capital had no money to buy an intangible asset like a licence

The SANFL came to the rescue for both port and adelaide and leased ut to both of them

In other words they put their balls on the line where no bank possibly could

Agree with all this.

SANFL used us to ensure their comp remained "the second strongest comp in the land". As you say a cash cow.

Hasn't there been calls in the media for us to be punished for the GC Camp with draft ssnctions?

Caro certainly suggested draft pick sanctions with the Barossa Camp.

The SANFL were the only organisation prepared to fund the venture

Imagine if the neafl had to fund GC

The licence was leased or rented if that's easier for you to understand

The club was created and needed working capital had no money to buy an intangible asset like a licence

The SANFL came to the rescue for both port and adelaide and leased ut to both of them

In other words they put their balls on the line where no bank possibly could

Came to the rescue?

The SANFL created the Crows and structured everything about the club around making the SANFL as much revenue as possible.

That's why the SANFL held the license and tethered us to a sublicense agreement so that they could control the club to protect their own financial interest.

The reality is that the 4 million was given back to the SANFL and the SANFL could have just elected to have given the licenses to the clubs on that basis, but rather than do the right thing they've asked for one last pound of flesh (namely 12 million dollars) and it's s**t like this as to why the club is not the club it could and should be.

The SANFL were the only organisation prepared to fund the venture

Imagine if the neafl had to fund GC

That's absolute crap.

Port were prepared to pay for it all themselves and the SANFL went to court to stop it happening.

The Crows were created and designed by the SANFL as an investment.

That's why they were prepared to go to the lengths they did to stop Port because they wanted AFL football in SA to be a source of revenue for the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back