Strategy It's time to Shep Up: how to keep Schofield in the back six

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see Shep go to McCarthy as he covers too much ground for Gov or Barrass to man up and he would take them away from the action. Barrass to Cox and Gov on a lesser tall so he can play his intercept role. In this scenario Schoey is an out for me.

As Schofield's sponsor, we feel personally attacked that we ourselves haven't been picked to be moved to the wing and the below image are our thoughts of what needs to happen to this thread,

Happy with the way things are but until Cole finds his feet again happy for Schoey to play on the smaller forwards like he did in the GF.
But I would back Cole to be back sooner rather than later.
Nelson has shown he is a big upgrade on Cole so far this year. Can't remember the last time he lost a contest

Nelson has shown he is a big upgrade on Cole so far this year. Can't remember the last time he lost a contest

Nello has finally learned the ancient backman's art of not going to the contest you can't win.

I am sure a lot of the negativity around him comes from his early days efforts to try and get to everything - which resulted in a lot of Nelson coming into the TV frame, right as the opposition scored goals.

Guilt by association, even though it was rarely his man kicking the goal!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hear me out.

With McGovern and Barrass set to return, I imagine most punters suspect Schofield will be dropped (we also need to think ahead as Harry Edwards will very quickly force his way into the best 22, meaning someone ultimately will have to make way).

He was a bit scratchy at first this year but I think Schofield has done a pretty good job replacing Barrass. The 2018 Finals showed that our back six can work effectively with all three of Schofield, Barrass and McGovern back there, even against shorter forwardlines like Collingwood, as he provides us with some flexibility + swervability.

However, unlike the 2018 Finals, Sheppard is fit and absolutely firing, and with Barrass coming back into the side we are left with a decision to make on big Will.

One radical solution that I would like to propose is to replace Masten with Sheppard on a wing.

The decision to move Sheppard into defence has been undeniably successful, and he is in career best form. But I think he's capable of #sheppingup and having more of an impact.

Currently Gaff and Masten provide very little in the way of aerial prowess. Sheppard's amazing overhead ability would help us lock the ball inside 50 without relying on Naitanui. His footspeed would provide a dangerous combination with Jetta rebounding from defence. He's not quite as adept at kicking I50 as Masten, but he's hardly Tim Houlihan in that regard.

I would like us to keep Schofield in the side plus think we could be getting more out of Shep, and now is the time to try it. Make it happen Simmo. #timetoshepup
No.

Change my mind.

If we move Masten to the lower wing, Shep to the upper, Jetts to the harrowing, Gaff to the toddler swing and have NN patrolling a ball of string...

That would leave DeGoey in the goal square.... no damn that wont work.

Who’s more in our long term defensive plans, Tom Barrass and Brad Sheppard or Will Schofield and Brad Sheppard?

Hmmm,
Barrass or Schofield...

I’m actually gonna go a third- Straw Man (form is abit scratchy), but apparently a tried and tested go to defence.. Sorry(!!) meant defender.. tho there is rumblings re his sportsmanship, tends to play the man not the ball etc
Deceptive, I guess that’s a pro and a con....

Hmmm,
Barrass or Schofield...

I’m actually gonna go a third- Straw Man (form is abit scratchy), but apparently a tried and tested go to defence.. Sorry(!!) meant defender.. tho there is rumblings re his sportsmanship, tends to play the man not the ball etc
Deceptive, I guess that’s a pro and a con....

c97dd88277dce898c7d2da86d23d1355.gif

I would love to see a tall marking wingman in the vein of Andrew Embley. Someone who can take an overhead mark and kick goals.

West Coast seem obsessed with smaller players on their wings but I think now, more than ever, a tall marking wingman could change the game.

I would love to see a tall marking wingman in the vein of Andrew Embley. Someone who can take an overhead mark and kick goals.

West Coast seem obsessed with smaller players on their wings but I think now, more than ever, a tall marking wingman could change the game.

Yea, Embley was good in that he took the game on
There’s lots of people saying (me included) Duggan to wing
Tall and rangey, but not so sure about the marking, or the out right aggression/ competitive factor embley had

Brander?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back