Opinion It's time to start a rebuild!

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop drinking.. get off bf and go to bed...

I know how much s**t some of you were giving Voss as the midfield coach and blaming him along with Ken for all the failures of this club along the way. I know it’s 2 games in, but the blues seem to be a totally different outfit under him now.

no way, ya cant win anything without an elite midfield..Ours is bog average.

We could have the greatest forwards in history, but with a plodding midfield (that includes ruckman) we wont be winning anything look at all the last 20 premiers, all had elite midfields.

Everytime we get close its our midfield that goes missing
Really?

2014 prelim we generated 29 scoring shots to 22 against the Hawks, but kicked 13.16 to their 15.7, including 3 goals 9 behinds in the first quarter. Inside 50 efficency was 52% to 62%.

2020 prelim we had 59 inside 50s to their 44 but only managed to kick 6.4 from this, running at 20% inside 50 efficiency to Richmond's 43%.

2021 yes our midfield was garbage, but our forwards were just as bad.

Our forward line has always been the issue with this side, at least for the last 9 years. We get annoyed at forward 50 entries but every single time there is nothing to kick to because nobody moves, nobody tries to get separation, not one forward actually wants to take a mark and kick a goal - they are obsessed with bringing the ball to ground and doing 'pressure acts'.

The crows went from being a very consistent side that played Finals more often than not and had a good run at it 2015-17. But they went full blown rebuild and here they are 5 years into it and they don’t appear to have improved at all in my opinion.

Their problems are less the result of a concerted rebuild pivot, and more the result of a succession of horrific drafts that failed to naturally replenish the team.

Since 2012, their first rounders have been Lever, Milera, Gallucci, Fogarty, Jones, McHenry, McAsey, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Rachele.

Only one of those guys looks like a genuine ‘can’t miss’-superstar and he’s 2 games in.

Also its got a lot of hate but I wouldn't hate Boaky going - it all depends what they are willing to give up for him. If we can get a top 15 pick for him or a promising young player then you look at it. Especially if we're stuck with the same coaching group next year meaning this year and next are down the toilet either way.

Definitely wouldn't give him away cheap or look to move him on though, still offers a lot and a great example for our young players.

Unpopular opinion I know, but we need to move Ken on and give Bassett a go for the rest of the season. He may prove to be a better head coach than an assistant
If we sack Hinkley but replace him with Bassett we may as well fold. I'd genuinely rather just keep Hinkley.

If we sack Hinkley but replace him with Bassett we may as well fold. I'd genuinely rather just keep Hinkley.

Yeah, the very early returns on Voss at Carlton are clearly weighing heavily on this zag.

Difference being, we’ve seen a lot of Bassett as a senior at Norwood, and if we play anything approaching that dour slop we may as well board the place up.

I can understand the Bassett well drilled/executed full defensive clog working at SANFL level, but it was more dour than a Ross Lyon wet dream. I guess the hope some had (including me) would be that he'd evolve from there.

I can understand the Bassett well drilled/executed full defensive clog working at SANFL level, but it was more dour than a Ross Lyon wet dream. I guess the hope some had (including me) would be that he'd evolve from there.
SANFL teams don't have the skill and pace that the best AFL teams have to cut through the zone and hurt you on the rebound.

It still works against s**t teams (so long as you work hardery) but not against the top 4.

Also its got a lot of hate but I wouldn't hate Boaky going - it all depends what they are willing to give up for him. If we can get a top 15 pick for him or a promising young player then you look at it. Especially if we're stuck with the same coaching group next year meaning this year and next are down the toilet either way.

Definitely wouldn't give him away cheap or look to move him on though, still offers a lot and a great example for our young players.
Nobody is paying for Boak unfortunately.

Their problems are less the result of a concerted rebuild pivot, and more the result of a succession of horrific drafts that failed to naturally replenish the team.

Since 2012, their first rounders have been Lever, Milera, Gallucci, Fogarty, Jones, McHenry, McAsey, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Rachele.

Only one of those guys looks like a genuine ‘can’t miss’-superstar and he’s 2 games in.

Plus they're still paying the price for all of the players who have left over the journey.

Team looks a fair bit different even now with Gunston, Dangerfield, Lever, Crouch and Greenwood.

We don't need a damn rebuild.
Players 30 and over
Boak
Gray
Dixon
McKenzie
Motlop
Jonas
6 out of 42
We need a damn coach with some idea. Not a damn peanut.
We don't need a full rebuild, but we need to stop playing older players who are clearly past their best. Of that list Gray and Motlop should be gone end of year, whilst Jonas, as too short to be a KPD and oldest of our tall backs, shouldn't be Captain and should be injury cover only in 2023. We need to get games into Pasini if Skinner doesn't look better after a few games (and target a 195cm+ KPD). Similarly get Hayes in.

The problem is Ken repeatedly has shown he won't stop playing his favoured players, until they are taken away from him (Neade, Sam Gray etc.). A new coach and attitude to older vs. newer players and we'll be ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't need a full rebuild, but we need to stop playing older players who are clearly past their best. Of that list Gray and Motlop should be gone end of year, whilst Jonas, as too short to be a KPD and oldest of our tall backs, shouldn't be Captain and should be injury cover only in 2023. We need to get games into Pasini if Skinner doesn't look better after a few games (and target a 195cm+ KPD). Similarly get Hayes in.

The problem is Ken repeatedly has shown he won't stop playing his favoured players, until they are taken away from him (Neade, Sam Gray etc.). A new coach and attitude to older vs. newer players and we'll be ok.
Agree totally. Attrition and turnover should be part of regular list management. We all know Hinkley is the problem.

Well Hinkley has been tried and tested and failed. We know we aren’t going anywhere with him.

I know a lot here have predetermined mindsets to get over about an ex-Crows player being a head coach. I didn’t say to give him the full-time job but as a caretaker and see what he does. As I said, many of you were giving it to Voss last few years but all early indications are that he has at least improved a few things at Carlton.

Really?

2014 prelim we generated 29 scoring shots to 22 against the Hawks, but kicked 13.16 to their 15.7, including 3 goals 9 behinds in the first quarter. Inside 50 efficency was 52% to 62%.

2020 prelim we had 59 inside 50s to their 44 but only managed to kick 6.4 from this, running at 20% inside 50 efficiency to Richmond's 43%.

2021 yes our midfield was garbage, but our forwards were just as bad.

Our forward line has always been the issue with this side, at least for the last 9 years. We get annoyed at forward 50 entries but every single time there is nothing to kick to because nobody moves, nobody tries to get separation, not one forward actually wants to take a mark and kick a goal - they are obsessed with bringing the ball to ground and doing 'pressure acts'.
Prelim 2014 we got smashed in the midfield after quarter time, yes the game should have been over, but the hawks midfield bashed ours up

Prelim 2020, you realise that most of our efficiency is due to the s**t kicks from our midfield. We got smashed in the last quarter, absolutely obliterated actually. Not sure we won a centre clearance in the last quarter.

2021 is all on our mids.. noone turned up, dont worry about some of our mids numbers at the end of the game, they never touched it when it mattered the most.

You give our forwards the melb mids and im sure you would see a better functioning forward line.

Prelim 2014 we got smashed in the midfield after quarter time, yes the game should have been over, but the hawks midfield bashed ours up

Prelim 2020, you realise that most of our efficiency is due to the s**t kicks from our midfield. We got smashed in the last quarter, absolutely obliterated actually. Not sure we won a centre clearance in the last quarter.

2021 is all on our mids.. noone turned up, dont worry about some of our mids numbers at the end of the game, they never touched it when it mattered the most.

You give our forwards the melb mids and im sure you would see a better functioning forward line.
You give us Melbournes forwards and forwards coach and we barely lose a game.

Im just in absolute disbelief that someone can look at:

Wines, Boak, Houston, Drew, Amon
Finlayson, Marshall, MG, Dixon, Rozee

And think the bigger problem is in the first group.

Well Hinkley has been tried and tested and failed. We know we aren’t going anywhere with him.

I know a lot here have predetermined mindsets to get over about an ex-Crows player being a head coach. I didn’t say to give him the full-time job but as a caretaker and see what he does. As I said, many of you were giving it to Voss last few years but all early indications are that he has at least improved a few things at Carlton.
Nothing to do with him being ex crows. As much as we rag on Badloss, if he wanted to come to Port Id do that without hesitation. Same goes for any other ex Crows player that I felt could get the job done.

People don't want Bassett because his results at AFL level are atrocious. Our forwards (not including Pep) have kicked 6 goals in two GAMES of football so far this year. Every single forward thats played under him has gone baclwards. Our captain is openly saying the main job of a forward is to "bring the ball to ground". Add that to the fact he has happily coached under Ken for years and he is quite possibly the worst senior coach candidate in Australia right now. There is literally not one person at any club in any position I wouldnt take over him.

Fair, but even then Im pretty sure when we lost we still heard that we are a young team blah blah blah
Positivity or hope is all apart of the game of sport, no matter how insurmountable the obstacle you should still approach it with the wind in your tail.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back