It's time to talk about Lachie...(Deadly from the pockets, Sprays it from everywhere else edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's been really good this year. He's helped out the backline a ton. Busting his arse all over the ground.

We suck at kicking goals, so a low goal assist count isn't surprising at all.

I think he's been really good this year. He's helped out the backline a ton. Busting his arse all over the ground.

We suck at kicking goals, so a low goal assist count isn't surprising at all.

What if i said 122 players had put the ball inside 50 30+ times this season and of those the following players have recorded just the one goal assist;

Charlie Curnow - a KPF

James Sicily, Kamdyn McIntosh and Bailey Williams - HBFers

Lachie Hunter - Outside mid

We are one of nine teams who average around 9 - 11 goals or under per game. 53 players from these teams are part of the 122 that have 30+ inside 50s. That means every Suns player that qualifies, every Saint, every Lion, every Blue except Curnow, every Power, every Bomber, every Docker, every Giant has had multiple Goal Assists.

You can’t deny his workrate. Him busting it and working free for his teammates is really valuable to the team, as is his defensive running which is elite.

But I think it’s fair to question how much he provides in terms of forward momentum and damage when he’s got the ball. The stats suggest and just anecdotally he’s ultra ineffective in delivering the ball in the forward half. It seems harsh but I honestly think Lipinski and Richards might play his current role better in few years if they can develop as hoped. Not everything they try comes off, but they make bold decisions which there is actual pay off for.

Perhaps he can improve. He could get a different system or position coach and really develop this aspect of his game. But he’s going to need to do it. We just simply cannot expect to be the least efficient side in terms of forward fifty play and expect to win games consistently.

What if i said 122 players had put the ball inside 50 30+ times this season and of those the following players have recorded just the one goal assist;

Charlie Curnow - a KPF

James Sicily, Kamdyn McIntosh and Bailey Williams - HBFers

Lachie Hunter - Outside mid

We are one of nine teams who average around 9 - 11 goals or under per game. 53 players from these teams are part of the 122 that have 30+ inside 50s. That means every Suns player that qualifies, every Saint, every Lion, every Blue except Curnow, every Power, every Bomber, every Docker, every Giant has had multiple Goal Assists.

Its a fairly narrow view of a players game, that one thing.

Scoring involvement will give you a broader view: how many times is he involved in a chain of possessions that results in a shot on goal? pro-stats used to make this public, but no more I think

In a way he is almost a microcosm for our team as a whole. Plenty of endeavour but severely lacking of some polish, class and finishing ability. If Bevo has relegated Wally to the magoos due to qualitative ball use, how long until the heat goes on Number Seven?

Agree he's a big part of the problem but you won't fix that at selection. Our best 22 just aren't performing well enough

Its a fairly narrow view of a players game, that one thing.

Scoring involvement will give you a broader view: how many times is he involved in a chain of possessions that results in a shot on goal? pro-stats used to make this public, but no more I think
Screenshot_20180604-220416.png

Red means below average. Per Stats Pro on afl.com

Oh god really!!!!

Are we going to start a tread for every player that isn’t playing well and analyse why.

I can help you all out and it’s pretty simple

Our coaching is so bad nearly no one can play well in the structure. It’s breeds errors and lack of effort.

Get coaching in line and the form will return.

Stop blaming 30 players and actually open your eyes and look at the source

We actually have a structure that requires hitting targets inside 50.

We don’t carry the ball fast enough to get one on ones
We don’t have a decent forward that can lead into space
We don’t have great hit up kickers
We have no forward structure that matches a lead up system

You could put Dunstall in this forward line and he would suck.

Which begs the question , how did we play so well in 2015 ?

View attachment 507211

Red means below average. Per Stats Pro on afl.com
It may be below average, but 8 score launches for the season isn't anywhere near as bad as only one goal assist. It's not Lachie's fault when his teammates fail to kick straight for goal, which could explain the lack of goal assists.

That said, it is his fault when he fails to kick straight for goal himself- it's something both he and his teammates clearly need to fix.

Yet only Melb, Rich and WCE have taken more marks inside 50 then us.

In comparison to the 10-1 ladder leading Eagles, we have had more disposals, more inside 50s and pretty much the same amount of marks inside 50. Despite this, they have had 40 more goal assists and kicked 60 more goals...remarkable.

In comparison to the 10-1 ladder leading Eagles, we have had more disposals, more inside 50s and pretty much the same amount of marks inside 50. Despite this, they have had 40 more goal assists and kicked 60 more goals...remarkable.

Amazing stat.

Does it tell you where we take the marks in the 50?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thread. Is this why Bev would be so frustrated? Those stats make it sound like he’s achieved what every coach seems to talk about - i.e. get the process right and the rest takes care of itself. He does say a lot that getting it in there isn’t the issue. If that was right it would come down purely to kicking accuracy? Seems overly simplistic but that’s the conclusion those stats lead you to in a way (and I assume we’re a fair way toward the bottom for accuracy - esp if you include not making distance and OOF).

Good thread. Is this why Bev would be so frustrated? Those stats make it sound like he’s achieved what every coach seems to talk about - i.e. get the process right and the rest takes care of itself. He does say a lot that getting it in there isn’t the issue. If that was right it would come down purely to kicking accuracy? Seems overly simplistic but that’s the conclusion those stats lead you to in a way (and I assume we’re a fair way toward the bottom for accuracy - esp if you include not making distance and OOF).
We've had 270 shots at goal and kicked 104 goals and 111 behinds. 55 shots have either fallen short or gone OOF.

He’s definitely a player who plays better when the team is going well.

Not to say he’s a downhill skier at all but he’s far more effective when we’re functioning better and structures aren’t eroding before our eyes.

He was pretty effective in front of goal in 2017, at least early on. Just needs to recapture that and become a bit more damaging.

There are more gaping holes in our team than Lach.

He and Dahlhaus are similar in that they are both hard working link up players that generally rely on the next link in the chain playing well to look better. The problem is the next link in the chain is a Honeychurch or a kid.

Dahlhaus does it with his manic pressure and ability in the contest whilst Lachie does it with hard running and great reading of the play. They are complementary players that are amazing when the team is up and struggle a bit when the team isn't working hard to provide them options.

That being said they both need to learn to take more care when disposing of the ball.

Great work, Wally. These are eye-popping stats. This means that our game plan would work if the execution was better. It explains a lot, like why Bevo is persisting with it and trying a lot of player combinations.

Hunter works extremely hard. However the one observation I have is that all of his disposals seem to be on the outside, usually hugging the boundary line. Time for him to readjust and get more ball within the corridor.

Where do you find these stats? Have you got total number of shots from other clubs as well?

Yeah I do but it would be a lot to post here. I'll give you a snapshot;

Converting Inside 50's into Shots on Goal:
League Average - 47.9%
1.WCE - 53%
2.NM - 52.2%
13.Dogs - 45.6%
18.Suns - 42.8%

Converting Inside 50's into Goals:
League Average - 22.8%
1.WCE - 28%
2.Melb - 25.7%
18.Dogs - 17.5%

Converting Inside 50's into Scores:
League Average - 39.85%
1.WCE - 44.1%
2.NM - 44%
16.Dogs - 36.3%
18.Suns - 34.1%

% of Shots at Goal that don't Score:
League Average - 16.8%
1.Melb - 11.07%
2.Adel - 13.4%
18.Dogs - 20.3%

Goal Kicking Accuracy (Including Shots that don't score):
League Average - 47.6%
1.WCE - 52.9%
2.Melb - 52.3%
18.Dogs - 38.5% (Only team under 41%)

We are also the only side in the competition who have scored more Behinds then Goals.

We rank 4th for Total Disposals, 5th for Total Inside 50s and 4th for Marks Inside 50.

Time to set up a program for the players to visit the club psychologist weekly to fix up the kicking for goal.

Great work Wally! Love love your work.

Pure and simple our absolute glaring need this off season is to recruite players who can hit up players inside 50 and also find the goals. Also more importantly we need players who have the ability to BREAK AWAY from the opposition press.

It’s why I am big in getting a bloke called Isaz Rankine into the team. He might only get 15 disposals a game, but It’s a bit like Riolli at Hawthorn, you don’t need many to have a great impact.

Lachie Hunter (A stroll through the top 100 average statistics)

Disposals: 13th 28.60
Kicks: 10th 16.20
Handballs: 37th 12.40
Frees For: 51st 1.60
Inside 50's: 32nd 4.30
Contested Possession: 63rd 9.50
Uncontested Possession: 14th 18.50
Marks: 54th 5.90
Effective Disposals: 14th 20.70
Marks Inside50: 69th 1.00
Bounces: 16th 1.30
Metres Gained: 43rd 394.80