Roast It's time to talk about the coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

What the bloody * have they been teaching the players in the off-season?

Our forward line is a complete shambles. There is no cohesion whatsoever between the midfield and the forwards. Ben Hart is a failure of a coach, a complete and utter failure, the forward line hasn't looked this disgusting since the Sando era

Our midfield CANNOT tackle, it CANNOT defend and it CANNOT transition with any fluency whatsoever. Who do we blame for this one? Campo? Godden? Pyke? Clarke? Our tackling and defensive setups have been a disgrace for a decade and it's gotten worse.

Despite the new rules, our main kick in structure is still to kick it just outside the 50 to a ruckman, or for some idiotic reason, handball it to the defensive pocket so we can put ourselves under pressure and hack it out in a rushed manner. What the hell is going on? Have we not practiced a single strategy to make use of these new rules?

Skills are terrible, pressure is terrible, we look slow, players who've done a full pre-season look cooked the moment they run into the ground.

We've paid a grand total of two ******* dollars for our assistant coaches. It's no surprise they aren't up to it. But I think it goes beyond that. It's time to start questioning whether Pyke is actually up to it

I'm just sick of Pyke and his mates. Follow the rule: two years without finals and he's gone - but at this point I'm just so fatigued by all the coaches we've gone through, to the point I doubt the next one will be any good either. It's just tiring all round.

Watched the game from up high in the members stand tonight. Some serious questions need to be asked of the coaching group in the first half in particular. So many issues, but the main one is simply the Cats had an additional player behind the ball completely free and blocking our attacks at every stoppage. What's more they outnumbered us when going into their own attack - as in they were man-on-man entering their forward half, PLUS they had another guy sneak up there unmanned. Despite this they somehow also had better spread/break from the middle and had 100% more runners going forward and back always 5m+ infront of our boys lagging behind.

Intensity/fitness aside how they managed to generate a spare man in defence AND attack for an entire half is disgusting; plus they monstered us in the middle despite the fact they should've been outmanned.

I have a feeling we have players sitting wide on the wings x2 and this is where Geelong sacrificed position in order to utilise the corridor + if we ever won it we would have to go wide to not be outnumbered.

Was really really disappointing to watch.

3rd quarter we magically fixed the issue and it was just poor skills and effort and not necessary glaring structural issues that killed us from there on out.

That Jenkins handball over the sideline was 100% not his fault btw. We were completely outnumbered 2:1 infront of him with 0 runners. He had literally 0 options except for lynch to handball receive and lynch refused to run for him.

That Jenkins handball over the sideline was 100% not his fault btw. We were completely outnumbered 2:1 infront of him with 0 runners. He had literally 0 options except for lynch to handball receive and lynch refused to run for him.

Funny you say that about the handball. I too thought that at the time. Lynch should have ran harder.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

If it’s true Pyke lost the players last year, then he’s done for and a real coach clean out is required

Also some players

And some board members

We'd need to replace every coach on our panel with maybe the exception of Godden and Mattner.

We don't have the balls to pay what is required. So we'll fire Pyke, and keep the assistants, locking us in to mediocrity for years to come

We'd need to replace every coach on our panel with maybe the exception of Godden and Mattner.

We don't have the balls to pay what is required. So we'll fire Pyke, and keep the assistants, locking us in to mediocrity for years to come

...go for it!

Funny you say that about the handball. I too thought that at the time. Lynch should have ran harder.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
I actually disagree. Lynch was trying to position himself so that he could receive the footy and so that the Geelong defender that wouldn't fully commit to Jenkins couldn't get a hand on the ball. The problem was Jenkins trying to give a look away hand ball, not Lynch not running for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pyke is a poor coach, made a GF off genuine talent but he is no motivator and tactically out coached. Roo has to take responsibility for a poor appointment.

Burton, Fagan and Pyke are frauds.

Got made to look good by Teague and Walsh. Pyke blaming the players for the GF disaster and Burton refusing to take the blame for last year's preseason disaster really sums up the mentality at our club.

It's still so baffling to me how Campo has managed to survive so long as an assistant coach, year after year - he's had a longer tenure at a single club than the vast majority of assistants in the AFL yet he has been profoundly mediocre at best over the whole span. It's ridiculous.

It's still so baffling to me how Campo has managed to survive so long as an assistant coach, year after year - he's had a longer tenure at a single club than the vast majority of assistants in the AFL yet he has been profoundly mediocre at best over the whole span. It's ridiculous.
I feel some of the answer to that can be found in the Ben Hart appointment.

Barring bringing in Clarkson a new coach won’t fix anything.

The administrators will appoint whoever will bring about the least amount of change to their ‘lifestyle’ club and will still allow them to work and see their mates every day.

Until we see the likes of Chapman (+board) and Burton frogmarched out of the organisation, the coach will never be able to bring about meaningful cultural change.

Sack anyone employed with a previous playing connection to the football club, put every current footballer on notice and start again.

Too many lazy, comfortable, mediocre operators who have been held completely unaccountable for years.

I too blame Lynch for not suddenly becoming 25 feet tall.

Geelong players continually broke through the Crows tackling tonight. Woeful. Betts/Walker/Jenkins are all down on form. Are they just getting old? We need to inject youth (Fogarty and Gallucci) back into the team. O'Brien seemed to be able to tackle/contest better than Jacobs after a hit out, which is definitely an upgrade to Sauce's hit and rest, but his kicking is the worst, which means he can never rest up forward.
Even after the disastrous game against Hawks and barely scraping through Sydney by pure luck of umpiring decisions, experts still tipped the Crows to win the premiership or top the league. Have they been watching us? I think the team's form has been absolutely terrible. We need change ASAP, otherwise the season will be a bust and our first pick has gone to Carlton.

Remember when Fagan said that he wanted to assemble the best footy department in the AFL?

What a joke that was.

Turdman - Boy's club appointment. Garbage, arrogant, zero accountability for his mistakes
Ben Hart - Boy's club appointment. Zero personality, zero charisma, bereft of ideas, not a coach's arsehole
Campo - The Julie Bishop of the AFC. Has been the 2IC for every failed coach for the last decade (Neil Craig, Sanderson, Pyke) and has seemingly escaped ever getting the blame for the failure of each regime. He's clearly overstayed his welcome and it's time to move on.
Godden - Rookie coach, screams of being an appointment that was due to either budget constraints or that he was the only person who was interested in the job. Big question marks over his tactical nous at SANFL level, has never played an AFL game nor worked in an AFL environment.
Mattner - Another rookie. I think he has the ability to be a successful coach at AFL level, but has a lot to learn before reaching that point.
Clarke - Been around for way too long, I love the role he did with the AFLW side, but it's clearly time for a refresh.

If Fagan wants to claim that it's the best football department in the AFL then he's clearly taking the piss.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back