It's time we talk about the dogs getting favoured by the umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. It's impossible to have a discussion with someone who just blatantly lies

You didn't "get things right" when you were spent. The Bulldogs gave away stupid free kicks because they got sloppy. I know they're trying to grow the game in Sydney, but it's difficult to have discussions with newbies who cry foul when things don't go their way.

The afl said 3 as far as should have been frees and one was contentious (well the article alluded to that this is what the leagues report said). But this has already been discussed, only people who an agenda believe that the full report was "Sydney should've got 4 more frees. That is all. Nothing more in this report"

"Forget what we gave away" then you rant about the differential. You can't have both champ.

Bulldogs will always be in the record books as 2016 premiers, noone will remember your conspiracy theories no matter how hard you try.
Four free kicks doesn't equal four goals, so unless it does you lose anyway. Move on princess.

Its no doubt already been said, but Im happy to repeat it - clearly we are doing something(s) that the umpires like, we are consistently winning free kick counts. Why? Umpiring conspiracy or playing the game in the way the umpires want to see it played? Conspiracy's are very hard to maintain. #freekickhawthorn anyone? Success means people are looking for excuses.

Completely fair comment - so what is it? In past years i've asked exactly the same question of Freo - from about 2012 to 2015 we were consistently in the bottom 2 in free kick differential. It's all well and good to claim conspiracy, but i've always wondered why that was the case for those stats. We weren't a particularly dirty team, we won a lot of the ball - with Sandi in the ruck we generally got first hands on it. There was an infamous game in 2014 against the Dogs where we got a grand total of 4 free kicks for the entire game (Dogs got about 20). Yet we dominated the match. Funnily enough in 2016 when we were utterly shite our free kick stats started to even up (still negative, but nowhere near the extent of previous years). The argument that good sides get better runs with umpires doesn't stack up. What could it possibly be? Maybe Freo players bagged out umpires on the field. Not sure why it would have been any different this year though.

Bulldogs of 2016 is essentially the West Coast of the past few years, but West Coast had quite a lot of players that played for free kicks. the Selwoods, Shuey, Darling, Hams if you go back a couple of years. Umpires obviously got sucked in. The Dogs have McLean who is as big a ducker as anyone in the league, but who else? There's nothing obvious about their style of play that would suggest they would attract a lot more free kicks than their opposition.

Has anyone got any serious suggestions other than the cliched 'they get to the ball first'?

Even the AFL has deemed the umpiring to be sub par.

As reported by Fox News and the Australian. Not reported by other papers in favour of fairytale stories.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...d/news-story/4e760a1f4843a76ae52dc8b60ec163ea

Did we lose because of it? Who knows. Did it impact momentum? Most certainly.

Thank you to all the unbiased views by those invested in the integrity of the game. And to the AFL for admitting things could have gone better.

I'll finish by saying that it's easier to appear you want it more when you know you're not going to get pinned by the umps as you're sliding into a contest. The Swans, in contrast, looked a lot more flat.

Even the AFL has deemed the umpiring to be sub par.

As reported by Fox News and the Australian. Not reported by other papers in favour of fairytale stories.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...d/news-story/4e760a1f4843a76ae52dc8b60ec163ea

Did we lose because of it? Who knows. Did it impact momentum? Most certainly.

Thank you to all the unbiased views by those invested in the integrity of the game. And to the AFL for admitting things could have gone better.

I'll finish by saying that it's easier to appear you want it more when you know you're not going to get pinned by the umps as you're sliding into a contest. The Swans, in contrast, looked a lot more flat.
"Umpiring was below standard" now apparently means "umpiring was below standard. But only to the detriment of Sydney"

Thanks for posting an article that's already been discussed though

"Umpiring was below standard" now apparently means "umpiring was below standard. But only to the detriment of Sydney"

Thanks for posting an article that's already been discussed though

Actually nope... the article has not been discussed in this thread. The umpire review has, for the most part, been swept under a rug. Not even a whistleblower episode, which is quite unique.

Actually nope... the article has not been discussed in this thread. The umpire review has, for the most part, been swept under a rug. Not even a whistleblower episode, which is quite unique.
It was posted 10 posts ago. I made a direct response to it...

That was a different link. It directed me to an article with title:

AFL equalisation: Former Hawks president Andrew Newbold wants Western Bulldogs premiership
Strange. Wasn't the other day. As you can see my response straight after was directly relating to the content of your article

Strange. Wasn't the other day. As you can see my response straight after was directly relating to the content of your article

Ah. I was scanning through for the link and couldn't find it.

I'm not suggesting the bad decisions would have won us the game. The doggies played well.

I paid a premium to be at the game and saw 2 floggings. 1) the umps for qtr 1-3 and 2) the doggies in the 4th when ironically I felt the umpiring was even.

Swans needed a good first half to win the game. So yes, I think the decisions hurt us. There were also a lot of calls not made which weren't reviewed.

I think the very fact this thread was created, by neutrals, affirmed some of my thinking during the game.

Ah. I was scanning through for the link and couldn't find it.

I'm not suggesting the bad decisions would have won us the game. The doggies played well.

I paid a premium to be at the game and saw 2 floggings. 1) the umps for qtr 1-3 and 2) the doggies in the 4th when ironically I felt the umpiring was even.

Swans needed a good first half to win the game. So yes, I think the decisions hurt us. There were also a lot of calls not made which weren't reviewed.

I think the very fact this thread was created, by neutrals, affirmed some of my thinking during the game.
There's also neutrals pointing out bad decisions the other way though

I think when a game is lost, especially a big game, people focus too much on bad decisions that went against them. We've all probably done it. I thought the umpiring was bad both ways on the day, I definitely thought buddy and Kennedy got a lot of leeway that their teammates and the dogs didn't get. And some dogs got leeway that their teammates and the swans didn't get.

There's also neutrals pointing out bad decisions the other way though

I think when a game is lost, especially a big game, people focus too much on bad decisions that went against them. We've all probably done it. I thought the umpiring was bad both ways on the day, I definitely thought buddy and Kennedy got a lot of leeway that their teammates and the dogs didn't get. And some dogs got leeway that their teammates and the swans didn't get.

The severity of the dubious decisions against the swans is what hurt us the most. Many of them resulted into goals 1-3 kicks later.

We lost '06 and '14. One in a legendary tight contest, which I could only blame the siren, and the other we lost in a hiding. This one's different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The severity of the dubious decisions against the swans is what hurt us the most. Many of them resulted into goals 1-3 kicks later.

We lost '06 and '14. One in a legendary tight contest, which I could only blame the siren, and the other we lost in a hiding. This one's different.
I'd say after the furore dies down you will remember this in a similar way.

I did this when west coast beat Melbourne this year. Dubious decisions in the last in west coasts favour and we lost by a kick. I look at it now and realise that there was probably dozens of decisions that went against both sides in a similar way and that Melbourne cost Melbourne the game

No it was to the detriment of the Dogs, 18 frees to 5 in a grand final they got raped.
Nice strawman
I can do that too "oh so you're saying that the umpires purposefully favoured the dogs and the result was rigged"

Nice strawman
I can do that too "oh so you're saying that the umpires purposefully favoured the dogs and the result was rigged"

not at all but ur kidding yourself if u don't think the Dogs got the better of the 'below standard' umpiring.

Geelong cops the worst umpiring out of everyone. Hawthorn, the Bulldogs get the umpires putting everything on a silver plate for them

not at all but ur kidding yourself if u don't think the Dogs got the better of the 'below standard' umpiring.
Another strawman. Where did I say that?

It's funny watching someone still sooking about this a month later though. I'm sure the 4 sooks on bigfooty who are still whinging about this are really the ones who are right, it's everyone else who is wrong :rolleyes:

Geelong cops the worst umpiring out of everyone. Hawthorn, the Bulldogs get the umpires putting everything on a silver plate for them
Isn't your captain the highest in free kicks for in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back