Opinion It's Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No not a repeat on the election slogan for labour. It's time for me to get back to my username after being negative this year and look
at the positives. I think we are right up there for number one in the talent and potential added to our list this season/ first gamers from previous drafts. Essendon have got the credits due trades but if look at trades and draft together we are looking good.

2017 Draft

Richards
Naughton
Gowers (Rookie)

2017 Trade

Crozier
Schache
Trengove

Previous Draft

Greene
Lynch (Rookie)

That is 8 players who look to be capable of best 22 next season and couple of potential A graders. In a dismal season of wins V loses and injuries we could have struck some gold.

I've also liked the development of... dunkley, macrae, mclean, cordy, lipinski, williams, and to a lesser extent English.

Return of wallis, boyd and adams also promising.

Lots to like going forward. If we can get Wood, Libba and Dale back (reckon picken and red are done) we should give the eight a good nudge in 2019.

The younger players probably carried us a little this year and have been asked for too much.

The obvious decline in Bontempelli due to injury is concerning and Liberatore's ACL seems
to go way too easily for my liking, Dickson, Wood and Redpath along with the tragic
issues that have affected Picken are a concern long term.

I also find the black marks put through some players names and the very public name and
shame policies a little hard to understand from a supposed people person, add to that the
whole closed session mentality screams internal power struggle.

Should knock off Calrton and finish with an eight win season.

If that’s what happens then we’ve come out of it ok given what’s gone wrong - it equals our best under McCartney and we’ve been under major duress.

Bont, Macrae, Hunter, JJ, Crozier, Boyd, Daniel, McLean, Dunkley, Richards, Gowers, Naughton, English, Lynch, Greene, Schache and Lipinski are all players we can say with reasonable confidence will be long term players for the club.

There are three or four others (Dahl, Wallis) that we hope will be around to help.

I think we’ve taken a bit hit this year instead of a sustained hit over a few. When the younger ones have 50+ games they will be very dangerous. Hopefully we’ve seen the worst of the reset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back