Modern Day Event Ivan Milat... Backpacker murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely guilty, and I'd put everything I own on Richard being involved as well.

Also, for anyone interested, Sins of the Brother is an excellent book about Milat's upbringing and the backpacker murders (though it can be a little tedious and tough to get through at times).

Last edited:
Hey if anyone wants to see something really, really, really ****ed up go visit the town right next to where Milat is jailed. It's right next to belangagang forest it is the most ****ed town in all of the world. The vast majority of the population only live there because they have relatives in the maximum security prison where Milat is, I mean I only stopped over for petrol but i walked around to get a pie and the high watermark of culture that I noticed was an advertisement in the bakery for the local pro-wrestling federation, no s**t I saw a woman with a pram sell heroin to some junkies right in front of the cops, they didnt give a s**t, there were bikies everywhere, * me that place was broken.

This probably doesn't contribute much to the conversation but visit that place where Milat grew up, the people there are completely and utterly ****ed in the head, it's some seriously warped people-under-the-stairs s**t goin' on there, * that place.

Ivan is definetly guilty. There was evidence that more people were involved and the judge stated this, but the police just didn't have the evidence to prove it. My guess is some of Ivans family or friends helped. Anyway they had Ivan after a very long investigation and they put him away for it.

One thing that has intrigued me was that when the bodies in the forest started to be found there was a report of a murder in a shack/house near Belangalo. The guy killed was some weirdo/hermit who lived in the area but the case just drifted in and out of the media without much attention. Was this hermit guy somehow involved with the Milats and was he murdered by them to keep quiet?

Hey if anyone wants to see something really, really, really ****** up go visit the town right next to where Milat is jailed. It's right next to belangagang forest it is the most ****** town in all of the world. The vast majority of the population only live there because they have relatives in the maximum security prison where Milat is, I mean I only stopped over for petrol but i walked around to get a pie and the high watermark of culture that I noticed was an advertisement in the bakery for the local pro-wrestling federation, no s**t I saw a woman with a pram sell heroin to some junkies right in front of the cops, they didnt give a s**t, there were bikies everywhere, **** me that place was broken.

This probably doesn't contribute much to the conversation but visit that place where Milat grew up, the people there are completely and utterly ****** in the head, it's some seriously warped people-under-the-stairs s**t goin' on there, **** that place.

You must be referring to the town of Goulburn.

Hey if anyone wants to see something really, really, really ****** up go visit the town right next to where Milat is jailed. It's right next to belangagang forest it is the most ****** town in all of the world. The vast majority of the population only live there because they have relatives in the maximum security prison where Milat is, I mean I only stopped over for petrol but i walked around to get a pie and the high watermark of culture that I noticed was an advertisement in the bakery for the local pro-wrestling federation, no s**t I saw a woman with a pram sell heroin to some junkies right in front of the cops, they didnt give a s**t, there were bikies everywhere, **** me that place was broken.

This probably doesn't contribute much to the conversation but visit that place where Milat grew up, the people there are completely and utterly ****** in the head, it's some seriously warped people-under-the-stairs s**t goin' on there, **** that place.
Goulburn is'nt where the family grew up. Does'nt change your reading of the town though.
As my location shows, I'm only about 20kms from the Belanglo and yeah, there's no way I'd venture in there.
To be fair, not all of Ivan's siblings are bad people. There are some nutcases there, but at least two that I've encountered in my line of work are good, decent human beings. One has changed his name and location and the other has finished up, sadly, being a basket case mentally from ostracised in the town of Hilltop where she lives.
From books I've read, and people I've spoken to, I'm convinced Richard was in on it with Ivan. It's not likely that we'll ever know as a confession is "unlikely" so theories will always abound.

Oh, sorry. Yeah- Goulburn!

Apologies for any offense I caused, but yeah... what a place. I mean you don't see people sell junk out of a pram in most places.

So, where are all the reports of missing backpackers if the family are still killing?
different story here,but thought i would add.
on the great ocean road in the last 5 years,there has been the disappearance of about 10 people maybe?
no mass murder connection as yet,wait until a newshound gets hold of it and then headlines will come.
recently a columbian backpacker swam on the unsafest swimming beach in australia and died.
it was only that he had a friend with him that its been recorded.
this happens regulary down this way,swimming and cliff scaling in terrible spots.
a german girl died 18 months ago from heat exhaust and her partner was lucky to live and point to where the body was,otherwise they would never have been found.
at moonlight head 12 apostles police are looking for the body of a chinese backpacker said to have gone for a swim.and never returned.
so yes there is lots of "missing" people and maybe luck stops them from being found.
but are there lots undiscovered ??
ask you local mp and you will be surprised at how many missing people are reported each year.
just because there not found,doesnt mean they are safe,murdered or dead from complacency.

This just makes me wanna go there and have a walk around and see what its like

I love ****ed up weird places

Ivan milats nephew that was found guilty of murder was not born when the killing was happening. I was a soldier posted to ingleburn when the killings were happening and ivan milat had given many lifts home to many army boys. Me included. He was a nice guy to us and I found it hard to take that I personally had sat beside a serial killer on more than one occasion. There was no indication to any of the boys he was a killer. He spoke about guns and what we did in the military no different than any other person who is into shooting. I have no doubt "Bill" did it but i also believe a relative who was often with him on many occasions was his acomplice. I believe he was a nephew who would be now in his late 40s. He gave me the impression he was a tryhard and would do anything to please "Bill". I met him and "Bill" the only time i was driving when i pulled into a pie shop at casula and they were there together. "bill " actually replied it was good to see me sober and driving for once. The other young guy around same age as me at time just glared at me like who are you and as I was taking the attention from him. I still remember the remark he made referring to me- " who is that "wally" ivan or "bill" as i knew him replied i was a guy he knew. What i am saying is if police look hard enough they will find his partner in crime and what i know now is i was lucky. He liked me as i was a soldier. I have always been intrigued by these killings as i feel that if i had not been driving that day i could have been a victim. I have never spoken publicly about these over the years but have spoken with other soldiers that were also picked up by him. I have no doubt ivan milat did it and the nephew that was with him the day i met them together was a contributor to the murders. He was more likely to have shot the victims whilst ivan stabbed them. I can also vouch that ivan milat was powerfully built and strong when I saw him lift a full esky into the back of his vehicle. I thought at time he looked like a guy I wouldn't want to piss off. I think ivan had the capability to do it alone but didnt. Ivan never smoked or drank yet alcohol and cigarette butts were found at all crime scenes. Surely that is a red flag to authorities to say there was another perp. I have always belived one of the family was involved but didnt push the fact in hope ivan spoke up. What they dont realise ivan is not that type loyal and will take it to his grave. Look at his nephews and possibly Richard for the last of the murders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ivan milats nephew that was found guilty of murder was not born when the killing was happening. I was a soldier posted to ingleburn when the killings were happening and ivan milat had given many lifts home to many army boys. Me included. He was a nice guy to us and I found it hard to take that I personally had sat beside a serial killer on more than one occasion. There was no indication to any of the boys he was a killer. He spoke about guns and what we did in the military no different than any other person who is into shooting. I have no doubt "Bill" did it but i also believe a relative who was often with him on many occasions was his acomplice. I believe he was a nephew who would be now in his late 40s. He gave me the impression he was a tryhard and would do anything to please "Bill". I met him and "Bill" the only time i was driving when i pulled into a pie shop at casula and they were there together. "bill " actually replied it was good to see me sober and driving for once. The other young guy around same age as me at time just glared at me like who are you and as I was taking the attention from him. I still remember the remark he made referring to me- " who is that "wally" ivan or "bill" as i knew him replied i was a guy he knew. What i am saying is if police look hard enough they will find his partner in crime and what i know now is i was lucky. He liked me as i was a soldier. I have always been intrigued by these killings as i feel that if i had not been driving that day i could have been a victim. I have never spoken publicly about these over the years but have spoken with other soldiers that were also picked up by him. I have no doubt ivan milat did it and the nephew that was with him the day i met them together was a contributor to the murders. He was more likely to have shot the victims whilst ivan stabbed them. I can also vouch that ivan milat was powerfully built and strong when I saw him lift a full esky into the back of his vehicle. I thought at time he looked like a guy I wouldn't want to piss off. I think ivan had the capability to do it alone but didnt. Ivan never smoked or drank yet alcohol and cigarette butts were found at all crime scenes. Surely that is a red flag to authorities to say there was another perp. I have always belived one of the family was involved but didnt push the fact in hope ivan spoke up. What they dont realise ivan is not that type loyal and will take it to his grave. Look at his nephews and possibly Richard for the last of the murders.

Didn't he originally try and pin the murders on his brothers? Doesn't seem that loyal.. But interesting anyway. It seems more likely than not he was helped in some way by one or more of his family. That there have been no murders (that we know of) since suggests he was probably the main instigator, but plenty of people go missing each year so who knows.

Didn't he originally try and pin the murders on his brothers? Doesn't seem that loyal.. But interesting anyway. It seems more likely than not he was helped in some way by one or more of his family. That there have been no murders (that we know of) since suggests he was probably the main instigator, but plenty of people go missing each year so who knows.
The judge said exactly this in his summing up. However, the police had enough evidence against Ivan so they went after him, and the jury agreed.

I've been doing a little research on this.
It's almost inconceivable that Ivan acted alone.
  • There's evidence that DNA (Hair) found on one of the victims was not Ivan's
  • There's evidence of drinking and cigarette butts at all murder sites (Ivan was a non drinker/smoker)
  • The big German male backpacker (ex soldier) would have been very difficult for one man to subdue/control
  • There was another body discovered in the same area that had the same MO but was not included in the victim's of Milat because his movements could not be matched to the time of death
  • There is some suggestion of ritual symbolism in the killings.
MIlat was a seriously strange and seemingly evil person. He was very strong and his involvement in the killings is to my mind undoubted. I just don;t think he acted alone. and the readings I've done suggest he had more than one accomplice.

So what happened to them? They died or just stopped?
I have a couple of theories on that but I'm still digging. I don't think they stopped...unless Ivan was the driver of the whole thing which he may have been if he had one weak accomplice (this theory is popular) But lots of back packers go missing. Manya re never found. there's been at least one body found in Belanglo since Ivan was put away and they died when he was inside. There hasn't been a killer found in relation to that death as far as I know. But if I were running something that sick I'd move my killing field....just random thoughts.

Perhaps. If evidence was so clear of other parties involved you'd think the police would have had a close watch on the area though.
That's an interesting point. The Officer In Charge Brian (?) Small has been adamant from day one that only Ivan was involved despite many other police in the task force thinking otherwise.
Maybe Ivan was alone - it doesn't explain the hair nor how he was able to subdue two people at a time, nor the body found with the same MO. MIlat was involved make no mistake...for him to subdue and restrain two young fit people while transporting them over rough terrain without help is almost superhuman

So what happened to them? They died or just stopped?

It's not unheard of for serial killers to stop killing (BTK hadn't killed for 14 years when he was caught, and I think the Green River Killer stopped as well?) If Ivan was the leader/dominant one it's plausible his accomlices didn't have the drive to kill again.

You do hear of that 'superhuman' trait in serial killers. Usually they are just regular people doing very irregular monstrosities against scared, numb people experiencing something that was never on their radar.

Hopefully Milat in prison was the end of it all. I hope so.

I hope so too...but my mind keeps poking away at that bloody DNA

It's not unheard of for serial killers to stop killing (BTK hadn't killed for 14 years when he was caught, and I think the Green River Killer stopped as well?) If Ivan was the leader/dominant one it's plausible his accomlices didn't have the drive to kill again.

I'm not sure about Ridgway. BTK was definitely a different type of case. Just thrived on the teasing and attention. I always found that case extra disturbing.

You are right though, it has happened. It doesn't seem to be the story in Belanglo though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back