I've Changed, Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
By all means remind me of this thread sometime down the track when we're back on the s**tpile as a club, but speaking in the moment I can say that I've definitely changed my stance over the last three years to blokes who leave the Tigers to play elsewhere.

Go back just three years, I was of the mind that Brett Deledio could go and get stuffed. I had very little to no sympathy for him or his new team getting KO'd in the prelim in 2017 and him missing a tilt at a flag. Schulz, Roden, Ottens, White, Nahas, Vickery ... and even Stuey Maxfield back in the day ... could all go and get stuffed.

Perhaps it's just due to the lingering afterglow of our multiple premiership success over the last three years, but no doubt I've softened on our turncoats. In fact, I'm actually getting a wee bit of delight out of watching the likes of Sam Lloyd, Dan Butler (although ask me again Saturday night), Reece Conca and Brando Ellis put in a decent shift in their new colours. This new mellowing in my demeanour can be partly attributed, I must admit, to the fact that these backsliders are not actually playing for anyone decent. And if they fronted for one of the truly detestable teams I might not be able to maintain my new-found charitable manner ... eg. I'm not quite over the line with Towner just yet.

I actually feel like we've spread a little bit of Tiger joy into the world beyond Punt Road by sharing our off-cuts.

Depends on the nature of their departure for me.
Guys like Miles, Conca, LLoyd, Bellis and even CEllis, Butler and even Towner I barrack for when they are not playing against Tigers.

Combination of limited opportunities for most + go home factor for Conca means I wish them well and always check on their stats.

Sarge Schultz I was really pleased for because not sure we really managed him that well and I felt he had much better footy in him which he proved at Port.

Lids - was torn because I loved his Tiger work when he was flying but clearly there was a breakdown in the end and was best he moved on. Sort of hoped he continued to have calf issues at Giants to be honest - feel a bit bad about that actually.

Was really pissed off about Brad Ottens at the time - was hard to replace.

Always liked what Stuey Maxfield achieved at Swans though, as I had moved up to Sydney myself and wanted the local AFL market to grow.

By all means remind me of this thread sometime down the track when we're back on the s**tpile as a club, but speaking in the moment I can say that I've definitely changed my stance over the last three years to blokes who leave the Tigers to play elsewhere.

Go back just three years, I was of the mind that Brett Deledio could go and get stuffed. I had very little to no sympathy for him or his new team getting KO'd in the prelim in 2017 and him missing a tilt at a flag. Schulz, Roden, Ottens, White, Nahas, Vickery ... and even Stuey Maxfield back in the day ... could all go and get stuffed.

Perhaps it's just due to the lingering afterglow of our multiple premiership success over the last three years, but no doubt I've softened on our turncoats. In fact, I'm actually getting a wee bit of delight out of watching the likes of Sam Lloyd, Dan Butler (although ask me again Saturday night), Reece Conca and Brando Ellis put in a decent shift in their new colours. This new mellowing in my demeanour can be partly attributed, I must admit, to the fact that these backsliders are not actually playing for anyone decent. And if they fronted for one of the truly detestable teams I might not be able to maintain my new-found charitable manner ... eg. I'm not quite over the line with Towner just yet.

I actually feel like we've spread a little bit of Tiger joy into the world beyond Punt Road by sharing our off-cuts.
Totally agree. Really pleased for Dan Butler in particular, have loved his work at the Saints... he can get donuts this week though!!

I can't remember the last former Tiger I genuinely disliked. Maybe Matty White, after he kicked goal of the year, running away from Steve Morris.

Always wondered how opposition supporters cope with losing outstanding players. I think Otto is the only one from my adult life. Must eat at every Carlton supporter to see their former players kick more goals than their entire team most years. :D:thumbsu:

Guys like Miles, Conca, LLoyd, Bellis and even CEllis, Butler and even Towner I barrack for when they are not playing against Tigers.

Combination of limited opportunities for most + go home factor for Conca means I wish them well and always check on their stats.

Sarge Schultz I was really pleased for because not sure we really managed him that well and I felt he had much better footy in him which he proved at Port.

Lids - was torn because I loved his Tiger work when he was flying but clearly there was a breakdown in the end and was best he moved on. Sort of hoped he continued to have calf issues at Giants to be honest - feel a bit bad about that actually.

Always liked what Stuey Maxfield achieved at Swans though, as I had moved up to Sydney myself and wanted the local AFL market to grow.
Also very largely agree. I would've got more pissed off with Lids if he played a hand in winning that prelim against us. After our 2017 premiership and the continuing of being a top club I've been more thinking that our culture may have been a little bit better without him and I didn't mind if he did OK at GWS.

Still pissed off at Ottens as we had put so much into him and he then left just when we had got his body right and had developed his skills to where he was starting to match his potential. If he had off given us 2 years after that then it would have seemed less of a betrayal him going when and how he did.

Lynch and Prestia gave many more very good years to Gold Coast than Ottens ever gave us before he decamped. Geelong put Caddy's name up as a potential trade for Lids so he can't be blamed for exploring his options. Richo would;ve been justified in looking elsewher when it became known that we had looked at trading him out. So glad he didn't.

Maxwell hurt but I believe the club didn't try too hard to keep him - so good luck to him. Did I mention that I too am still pissed off at that selfish egotistical slimy betrayer pr*ck Ottens?

Pre-2015 there were not too many departures that anyone wanted to be honest.

I think the two that did my head in the most were 1. Ottens, mainly because it was such a crap year to get so many draft picks after 7 and even then we did so poorly with them - that draft is a veritable "who isnt".

The other was 2. Jeff Hogg. I know the arguments of how well we did in that trade and the constructs from it, but there's something about trading your Captain that is akin to selling your soul for mine. Broders was great, Micky Gale probably broke even (but did keep his brother with is I'm sure). Dundas - meh! We might have done well singularly (Hogg for Broders) but did lose Lambert anyway (who was supposed to be part of that deal). We really were a bit of a soulless drifting Club of the day.

Fast Forward - 2017 - players we lose now are still only as good as 'below average'. Perhaps BEllis a touch better. We'll get picked of sooner or later though!

we've climbed a hill or maybe its a mountain
going from a bottom side or 9th where players look to defect

to a top side , strong club , admired culture

there are guys sitting in the 20 -30 ranking that are only going to get scraps of opportunities with us
but could be permanent top 22 at other clubs

for all the names mentioned above , they got their AFL chance with us , tried their guts out and then find them selves down in the pecking order with us

its great to see them getting chances else where , provided it doesn't cost us :)

As long as they don't shaft us, I support ex-tigers.
Right now out depth players are doing very well at other teams. So to me that shows how good our depth is, and our development.

Also very largely agree. I would've got more pissed off with Lids if he played a hand in winning that prelim against us. After our 2017 premiership and the continuing of being a top club I've been more thinking that our culture may have been a little bit better without him and I didn't mind if he did OK at GWS.

Still pissed off at Ottens as we had put so much into him and he then left just when we had got his body right and had developed his skills to where he was starting to match his potential. If he had off given us 2 years after that then it would have seemed less of a betrayal him going when and how he did.

Lynch and Prestia gave many more very good years to Gold Coast than Ottens ever gave us before he decamped. Geelong put Caddy's name up as a potential trade for Lids so he can't be blamed for exploring his options. Richo would;ve been justified in looking elsewher when it became known that we had looked at trading him out. So glad he didn't.

Maxwell hurt but I believe the club didn't try too hard to keep him - so good luck to him. Did I mention that I too am still pissed off at that selfish egotistical slimy betrayer pr*ck Ottens?
Otto's career highlight was ringing that bell in front of 80k tigers. Deep down he knows it too.

I was mighty pissed off with the club rather than the individual players for losing Craig Lambert, Stuart Maxfield, & John Northey.
Ottens wanted to leave so I was pissed off with him. Annoyed at the club that they wasted the fair value picks we got for him.
Annoyed with Dan Connors that he couldn't pull his head in and become the next Stevie J I thought he had in him.
Annoyed that Stephen Jurica and Jayden Post didn't become the superstars I thought they would be after early glimpses.

I was mighty pissed off with the club rather than the individual players for losing Craig Lambert, Stuart Maxfield, & John Northey.
Ottens wanted to leave so I was pissed off with him. Annoyed at the club that they wasted the fair value picks we got for him.
Annoyed with Dan Connors that he couldn't pull his head in and become the next Stevie J I thought he had in him.
Annoyed that Stephen Jurica and Jayden Post didn't become the superstars I thought they would be after early glimpses.
I had heard from a trainer at the club that Jurica's body let him down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Swooper after 95 still does my head in... as a teenager, I thought, some light in the tunnel, but enter Robert Walls

It's a lot easier when none of them really wanted to leave and those who asked to get traded were just not getting any senior opportunities.

Nor would they be if they were still on our list.

All lifetime Tigers.

Seeing Townshend in Bomber colours cuts me up the most but it was a trade that had to be done.

Dimma was a Bomber so we can thank our lucky stars we acquired his services and fast becoming our longest serving coach.

Richmond have been smart.

What I find funny is how much the media pumps any player who does well as soon as they leave Richmond,remember Vickery? They built him up in his first games for Hawthorn like Wayne Carey and Royce Hart combined lol.

It is happening again though Butler deserved the kudos I guess,a fantastic pickup for St. Kilda but really his form was waning all last year,it’s good to be a Harry Hindsight but a new club has maybe sparked his enthuiasm again like when Schultz and Ottens left us.

All lifetime Tigers.

Seeing Townshend in Bomber colours cuts me up the most but it was a trade that had to be done.

Dimma was a Bomber so we can thank our lucky stars we acquired his services and fast becoming our longest serving coach.

Richmond have been smart.

What I find funny is how much the media pumps any player who does well as soon as they leave Richmond,remember Vickery? They built him up in his first games for Hawthorn like Wayne Carey and Royce Hart combined lol.

It is happening again though Butler deserved the kudos I guess,a fantastic pickup for St. Kilda but really his form was waning all last year,it’s good to be a Harry Hindsight but a new club has maybe sparked his enthuiasm again like when Schultz and Ottens left us.
Difference between Ty and Butler is Butler is actually playing good footy. Ty was just a joke of a player outside of belting Coxsucker
Edit: also that time he slotted 6 sausages taking the pee out of Colliwobbles 🤣🤣

Could you imagine how bitter in general all RIchmond fans would be right now if we had lost those Grand FInals and found ourselves in this position we are currently in. I don’t think many of us would be able to take it.

Whatever happens not only have we seen a flag but we have seen multiple flags. We will always want more but we have all seen us climb the highest mountain which is a lot more that can be said about most clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back