I've got a crazy request.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Hey Everybody, I'm wondering if you can help me find every local/state/country league in Australia (all states) I have a fetish of looking at scores/stats of the games that are played in my local state of Tasmania

Here's Tasmania
TSL https://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3385-0-303354-0
SFL https://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3049-0-0-0&a=COMPS
OLD Scholars https://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3900-47776-158945-0&a=COMPS
Darwin Association https://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3918-48930-0-0&a=CLEAR
Just to name a few

This is an archived link to the old Footypedia website. I hope it relates to your request.

Hello Worbod
I’m extremely new to Big Footy (1 hour and ten minutes to be precise) and I’m not sure that this is the right way to contact someone. I’m reaching out to yourself because you seem to be without peer when it comes to records of VFL reserve matches, and as you are a Doggies fan I thought you could help me solve a mystery that has been bugging me for over three decades.
I recall a reserves games many years ago at the Western Oval in which Footscray won by 100 points or close to that margin. The extraordinary thing about that game was the fact that when I arrived at 3/4 time my Saints were in front. The Doggies were kicking with a breeze in the last quarter but I have never seen or heard of anything like it at any level of football. I can’t find the quarter by quarter scores to verify the fact so it may all be just another nightmare we long suffering St Kilda fans are prone to have!
In 1984, Round 18 the Bulldogs did beat st Kilda by exactly 100 points and I certainly would have been at The Western Oval that day.
Do you have any knowledge of such a feat by your boys or is there a way to check the quarter by quarter scores from that reserves game in 1984.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and most therapeutic.
yours sincerely
Mark Fine

Hello Worbod
I’m extremely new to Big Footy (1 hour and ten minutes to be precise) and I’m not sure that this is the right way to contact someone. I’m reaching out to yourself because you seem to be without peer when it comes to records of VFL reserve matches, and as you are a Doggies fan I thought you could help me solve a mystery that has been bugging me for over three decades.
I recall a reserves games many years ago at the Western Oval in which Footscray won by 100 points or close to that margin. The extraordinary thing about that game was the fact that when I arrived at 3/4 time my Saints were in front. The Doggies were kicking with a breeze in the last quarter but I have never seen or heard of anything like it at any level of football. I can’t find the quarter by quarter scores to verify the fact so it may all be just another nightmare we long suffering St Kilda fans are prone to have!
In 1984, Round 18 the Bulldogs did beat st Kilda by exactly 100 points and I certainly would have been at The Western Oval that day.
Do you have any knowledge of such a feat by your boys or is there a way to check the quarter by quarter scores from that reserves game in 1984.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and most therapeutic.
yours sincerely
Mark Fine

The major thought that comes to me is to check the microfilm of The Sporting Globe and see whether they give quarter by quarter scores for that game. Of course with visits to the Melbourne State Library being dictated by the corona virus it is a bit tricky at present to check this, and for some reason The Sporting Globe did shift away from footy during the 1980s and focus more on horse racing. The only thing you might be able to do is phone the State Library, give them the date of the match and ask if they could check The Sporting Globe for you. I think you might need to be a member but if you aren't they should be able to sign you up for free and you should get a card in the mail. I will keep thinking and searching for any outlet which may divulge quarter by quarter scores or a review of this game.

When I first went to footy in early to mid 80's I remember there was a late afternoon edition of the Herald that had the scores of the games that day probably up to about three quarter time and a bit of report of the game. But I suspect those editions would have covered the reserve games scores from morning too so that St.Kilda and Footscray reserve game being asked about would probably have been in it. I wonder whether copies of those newspapers kept somewhere. I remember you used to be able to buy it on way to Richmond train station after a game at the MCG Saturday.

When I first went to footy in early to mid 80's I remember there was a late afternoon edition of the Herald that had the scores of the games that day probably up to about three quarter time and a bit of report of the game. But I suspect those editions would have covered the reserve games scores from morning too so that St.Kilda and Footscray reserve game being asked about would probably have been in it. I wonder whether copies of those newspapers kept somewhere. I remember you used to be able to buy it on way to Richmond train station after a game at the MCG Saturday.

The Herald is also available on microfilm at Melbourne State Library so there is another possibility when the chance comes to access microfilm once again. If the library does not have the relevant edition of any newspaper on microfilm that interests you they should have a hard copy in their warehouse in Ballarat which you can request to have brought in to the library to read at a prearranged date.

EDIT: I mean "you" in a general sense.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back