Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

we are hard against the cap

- Rockliff $700,000
- Hartlett $500,000
- Motlop $500,000

Where’s the cap pressure there, until your Rozees, Duursmas and Butterses were all copping $400,000 raises?

Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
- Rockliff $700,000
- Hartlett $500,000
- Motlop $500,000

Where’s the cap pressure there, until your Rozees, Duursmas and Butterses were all copping $400,000 raises?

Absorbed after the COVID re-shuffle unfortunately. The war chest has vanished.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If our cap is that tight, it won’t be popular but Gray shouldn’t have been resigned and politely asked to retire at the end of the year. He’s slowed down and won’t be a part of our next premiership and neither will Boak.

Hope Motlop won’t be resigned either.

But if we made the decision we needed to off load a young player for peanuts because we are tight meanwhile making other signings that go against that, that’s poor.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
On Davies defense, I would say that the difference between 12 and 16 is usually more significant than between 16 and 20, for instance, although both are four picks apart. Moreover, the third-round pick gives us extra points.

Are those gains worth of losing Ladhams? That’s the question. I don’t know the answer.

Personally, I wouldn’t have kept Lycett, to be honest; but he probably didn’t want to leave (and/or didn’t have anyone interested in him), while Ladhams did. We will never know the details, will we?

Absorbed after the COVID re-shuffle unfortunately. The war chest has vanished.

I still don’t get how. Tredders said the same thing.

As far as I could tell, the club didn’t reduce payments to some players during the covid salary drops as a sign of good face.

If that was correct it seems to be horrendous list management to give up your competitive advantage

Edit - thinking about it, perhaps we put certain players payments backwards - but still paid full amount, rather than reduced amount. I’m that case I could understand some reduction - but not the whole lot.

Last edited:

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well if we had to get rid of one I'm glad it's PL

And hopefully there's a beneficial by-product to SPP from them not being near each other
More then naughty boys, when professional atheletes get pissed , miss pre season training due to it, turn up unfit and then have to get fit in the 2s for a fair part of the season. Resulting in a player being a sub instead of being a starting 22. Time to stop baby sitting theses guys, get ya act together or fk off. Over it.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Well if we had to get rid of one I'm glad it's PL

And hopefully there's a beneficial by-product to SPP from them not being near each other
Fan of Sam, but I think he's made his own issues, and plenty of them - without help from Ladhams either.
Would rather have shipped SPP out and kept Pistol.
Whatever.
Hard to gt enthusiastic any more. :huh::(

If our cap is that tight, it won’t be popular but Gray shouldn’t have been resigned and politely asked to retire at the end of the year. He’s slowed down and won’t be a part of our next premiership and neither will Boak.

Hope Motlop won’t be resigned either.

But if we made the decision we needed to off load a young player for peanuts because we are tight meanwhile making other signings that go against that, that’s poor.

100%

it is time we get real and build for a premiership rather than seek solid performances

If the alternative is Sam Hayes demands a trade at the end of next year due to lack of opportunity then we made the right move.

There is some serious overrating of Ladhams on this board. It's not a great return but you won't win many trades when it's clear you want a player gone.

I have concerns over Ladham's professeionalism but I question who has the highest ceiling between ladhams v lycett

lycett is a solid middle of the road ruck being 8th to 14th best in the comp. Ladhams is behind Lycett and like boak, motlop and gray; we are not winning a flag with lycett as our No1 ruck.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
In answer to the thread title... I haven't.

We don't know why the Ladhams deal was done for the price. Ken could've said I want him gone, get it done no matter what, OR we've got

someone in mind for pick12. I was fuming last night but it's done now.

There is some serious overrating of Ladhams on this board. It's not a great return but you won't win many trades when it's clear you want a player gone.

But that’s kinda the point.

The AFL is rare in that a contracted player has to agree to a trade — we famously missed out on shipping Lobbe and his considerable cap hit to the Bulldogs for a first-rounder because he was in Vietnam(?) and was determined to stay at Alberton when they were able to get him on the phone — but you can swing too much the other way in making it clear they are on the block and should really accept the move when an offer comes in.

Making huge noises about Ladhams’ value in concert with “explore your options”, and then only walking away with a 4-position upgrade and a future third is a diabolical return for what should’ve been a very nice chip — whether the player is underrated, overrated or otherwise.

The AFL is rare in that a contracted player has to agree to a trade — we famously missed out on shipping Lobbe and his considerable cap hit to the Bulldogs for a first-rounder because he was in Vietnam(?) and was determined to stay at Alberton when they were able to get him on the phone — but you can swing too much the other way in making it clear they are on the block and should really accept the move when an offer comes in.

Making huge noises about Ladhams’ value in concert with “explore your options”, and then only walking away with a 4-position upgrade and a future third is a diabolical return for what should’ve been a very nice chip — whether the player is underrated, overrated or otherwise.

Let's also be real and accept that it's very possible we pick the same player at 12 as we would've at 16 and that the pick upgrade counts for nothing and we've really just traded him for next year's pick 46 or something.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I'd love to know what Sydney offered last year.

I'd love to know what Sydney offered last year.

Port-Adelaide-s-Aliir-Aliir-after-beating-Adelaide-in-round-eight-2021.jpg%20+%20

Let's also be real and accept that it's very possible we pick the same player at 12 as we would've at 16 and that the pick upgrade counts for nothing and we've really just traded him for next year's pick 46 or something.
Pretty much this. The pick upgrade is neither here nor there. I am sure we will spin it that the player we pick was the one we wanted and he would not have been there at 16, but that would more than likely be BS. So a pick in the 40s for a first 22 ruck fwd with still untapped potential. Spin it how you like Port.

Back