Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not all that long ago that supporters were booing Choco's ring a ring a rosey game plan and/or refusing to attend games, and the then board eventually got the message, but only after they had defied logic and reappointed him.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that again, but the signs are unfortunately ominous that history could repeat itself, as the team is hamstrung by the continued selection of favourite players after less than average games at sanfl level, match ups that are often wrong, which can happen to any coach, but most of them identify the problem early enough to prevent serious damage, while our bloke appears to sit on his hands and hope things will come good.

A lot of the gloss has clearly come off Koch and KT, all the financial expertise in the world won't cover up poor football decisions, and there have unfortunately been plenty of them made during their tenure. :(

its pretty clear we need a senior director of footy/coaching to sign off on game plan and selection, he has proven he isnt up to both of these. LEts do it now and not wait until Gray, Ryder, Westoff and Boak have all retired.

Sorry but that's just silly. The senior coach is the guy who makes the final call on gameplan and selection and lives or dies by the decisions he makes. He doesn't have an executive council above him to decide what the game plan and selections will be. Nobody would coach under those conditions.

Sorry but that's just silly. The senior coach is the guy who makes the final call on gameplan and selection and lives or dies by the decisions he makes. He doesn't have an executive council above him to decide what the game plan and selections will be. Nobody would coach under those conditions.

Well stiff s**t, he clearly isn’t up to it.

Ken could do worse than to watch a few videos of the 2007 Geelong team he helped build, if only to remind him that scoreboard pressure and physical intimidation trump dour defensive strategies every day of the week.

Ken's presser was a pretty sombre affair. Clearly, he's frustrated and feeling the heat. You could see on his face he knows this season is slipping away. And doesn't seem to have any answers to our skill and ruck issues...

"We make it pretty hard. There’s no fairy dust. You can’t sprinkle something on it. We’ve still got some areas that hurt us, particularly one is our skill.”

Where that little fairy dust sprinkling bitch Tinkerbell be at?

“We do an enormous amount on [skill at training.] Every session we work on ball use… it’s the pressure of the game, when the pressure comes up, you’ve gotta be able to execute… we spend a-lot of time in training the fundamental breakdown of skill. We continually work at it and we continually get challenged by it. It’s obvious.”

We're bottlers, it's obvious.

“We coach a game style to work within the skill set that we have. At the moment, we’re probably sitting below the skill set that we actually have. It’s worse than it probably should be.”

We. Are. So. F@%ked.

Ken's presser was a pretty sombre affair. Clearly, he's frustrated and feeling the heat. You could see on his face he knows this season is slipping away. And doesn't seem to have any answers to our skill and ruck issues...

"We make it pretty hard. There’s no fairy dust. You can’t sprinkle something on it. We’ve still got some areas that hurt us, particularly one is our skill.”

“We do an enormous amount on [skill at training.] Every session we work on ball use… it’s the pressure of the game, when the pressure comes up, you’ve gotta be able to execute… we spend a-lot of time in training the fundamental breakdown of skill. We continually work at it and we continually get challenged by it. It’s obvious.”

“We coach a game style to work within the skill set that we have. At the moment, we’re probably sitting below the skill set that we actually have. It’s worse than it probably should be.”

We. Are. So. F@%ked.

Sounds like Ken’s lost his faith in this playing group and “coaching down” to suit. We ain’t gonna achieve s**t with such a negative approach.

We. Are. So. F@%ked.
So we are underskilled yet he keeps picking low skilled players..... Genius.

Well stiff s**t, he clearly isn’t up to it.

Take it easy. There's no need for that response or language. If you're going to talk nonsense be prepared to be called out.

It's patently clear, and has been for several seasons now, that Hinkley is not up to it.

As far as I'm concerned we now have three options.

1. Sit around twiddling our thumbs while our current premiership window gets pissed against the wall over the next three years.

2. Engage the coaching assistant merry-go-round and hope that a) we can somehow lure better minds than Lade, Nicks, Greaves, Voss and b) they can somehow mitigate Hinkley's coaching inability enough for us to make an impact.

3. Sack Hinkley.

Now in my opinion, 1 - is completely untenable and also an unforgivable waste of the talent on this list, 2 - is probably what will end up happening but ultimately not the solution which leaves 3 - as the only logical course of action.

The only question is, will we be strong enough to pull the trigger at the end of this year when we complete our fourth consecutive season without a finals win? And when we do inevitably have to pay Hinkley out, will the key decision makers who okay'd his beyond absurd Choco-esque contract extension be made to fall on their swords as a consequence? Or will it all just be happy, champagnes for everyone, David Koch times?

Time will tell, I guess.

It's patently clear, and has been for several seasons now, that Hinkley is not up to it.

As far as I'm concerned we now have three options.

1. Sit around twiddling our thumbs while our current premiership window gets pissed against the wall over the next three years.

2. Engage the coaching assistant merry-go-round and hope that a) we can somehow lure better minds than Lade, Nicks, Greaves, Voss and b) they can somehow mitigate Hinkley's coaching inability enough for us to make an impact.

3. Sack Hinkley.

Now in my opinion, 1 - is completely untenable and also an unforgivable waste of the talent on this list, 2 - is probably what will end up happening but ultimately not the solution which leaves 3 - as the only logical course of action.

The only question is, will we be strong enough to pull the trigger at the end of this year when we complete our fourth consecutive season without a finals win? And when we do inevitably have to pay Hinkley out, will the key decision makers who okay'd his beyond absurd Choco-esque contract extension be made to fall on their swords as a consequence? Or will it all just be happy, champagnes for everyone, David Koch times?

Time will tell, I guess.
We don’t have the $$$ for a payout is the problem. If only we had a wealthy benefactor or coteries like Essendon did to support them out of their mess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kenny showed his hand in recruiting 27/28 year olds......straight from Ross Lyon playbook.

No vision, all about the win in short term.

Playing a rookie in ruck has no interest for him as he has no vision unfortunately. Not well read, getting lazy and showing he has no A grade gear where he is willing to be strategic and think about a new way.

We are a middle of the road team with a batch of older players who are plodders. Watch Richmond, they play young talent.

We don’t have the $$$ for a payout is the problem. If only we had a wealthy benefactor or coteries like Essendon did to support them out of their mess
Make him coach of the Magpies or Director of Something and hire a different coach.

Take it easy. There's no need for that response or language. If you're going to talk nonsense be prepared to be called out.
Seriously “language” are you that precious ?

It’s not complete nonsense, complete nonsense is the decision to through all structure out the window and refuse to play a ruckman against a side with two very big ruckman, a decision that absolutly cost us the game.

I maintain what I said “stiff s**t” Hinkley has time and time again shown he is not up to coaching this club and as we cannot afford to sack him, we can How ever employ someone to take over (or at a minimum have significant day and control) in area he is not capable of managing and someone to hold him accountable for the kind of BS he is serving up.

I like how Koch and KT don’t even bother putting out the fake KPI's anymore. Are we aiming for top 4 again? premierships? Who knows.

They must have as much faith as we do.

We exist to respect our opposition and very occasionally score against them.*

(* Terms and Conditions apply)

Ollie rucking.

I'm off the Ken boat, that was just a ridiculous position to be in.

If that wasn't bad enough, Ebert was rucking too.

Cooked like one of Zakk Wylde's Davoren Park tenants

Seriously “language” are you that precious ?

It’s not complete nonsense, complete nonsense is the decision to through all structure out the window and refuse to play a ruckman against a side with two very big ruckman, a decision that absolutly cost us the game.

I maintain what I said “stiff s**t” Hinkley has time and time again shown he is not up to coaching this club and as we cannot afford to sack him, we can How ever employ someone to take over (or at a minimum have significant day and control) in area he is not capable of managing and someone to hold him accountable for the kind of BS he is serving up.

Some of the interactions between posters on this board have become very personally insulting - I was trying to pull you up on language before anything went that far. It's not a matter of whether I'm precious but trying to maintain some level of civility in line with board rules. You're the one who has arced up so maybe just keep your emotions better in check.

There is no magical uber-coach who sits above the coach. If Hinkley stuffs up it's on his head. The very people who decided he was worth a 4 year extension last year are hardly going to decide they were wrong and put someone over the top of Hinkley. If his results continue a downward spiral then they will have to make a decision on whether they continue with him. And again, given the 4 year extension, they will continue.

It's not all that long ago that supporters were booing Choco's ring a ring a rosey game plan and/or refusing to attend games, and the then board eventually got the message, but only after they had defied logic and reappointed him.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that again, but the signs are unfortunately ominous that history could repeat itself, as the team is hamstrung by the continued selection of favourite players after less than average games at sanfl level, match ups that are often wrong, which can happen to any coach, but most of them identify the problem early enough to prevent serious damage, while our bloke appears to sit on his hands and hope things will come good.

A lot of the gloss has clearly come off Koch and KT, all the financial expertise in the world won't cover up poor football decisions, and there have unfortunately been plenty of them made during their tenure. :(

We were at that last year and they reappointed him. He lost the crowd during the Richmond loss last year at home, lost the last supporters then and they didn't listen and renewed him.

Some of the interactions between posters on this board have become very personally insulting - I was trying to pull you up on language before anything went that far. It's not a matter of whether I'm precious but trying to maintain some level of civility in line with board rules.

Just on this, this place has become increasingly unpleasant over the past year or two. There is a group for whom any deviation from their line is met with a fusillade of fury. Add to that, some personal abuse towards players (some of whom do not even have to play to get derided) and the environment is increasingly toxic.

The thing is, debate and criticism is possible without abuse. For example, I think many of our coaching decisions in the past year are questionable but because I'm not amongst the clamour for sackings, I get labelled as a 'cultist'. I can take that. I have been around here long enough and have to put up with worse at work but for many its just another barrier to their spending time here.

In short, I wouldn't want to be a mod around here.

Kenny showed his hand in recruiting 27/28 year olds......straight from Ross Lyon playbook.

No vision, all about the win in short term.

Playing a rookie in ruck has no interest for him as he has no vision unfortunately. Not well read, getting lazy and showing he has no A grade gear where he is willing to be strategic and think about a new way.

We are a middle of the road team with a batch of older players who are plodders. Watch Richmond, they play young talent.

Yeah nah, thats not correct. This is the same Richmond who were hugely criticised for drafting a stack of mature age VFL players every year until an out of the blue premiership win last year made them look like geniuses.

This is a Richmond who this decade have drafted or traded in the following mature age players - Shaun Grigg, Tom Derickx, Tom Hislop, Brad Miller, Ivan Maric, Steven Morris, Adamm Maric, Bachar Houli, Aaron Edwards, Chris Knights, Troy Chaplin, Ricky Petterd, Sam Lonergan, Orren Stephenson, Shaun Hampson, Nathan Gordon, Todd Banfield, Matt Thomas, Anthony Miles, Taylor Hunt, Nathan Drummond, Dan Butler, Kane Lambert, Jacob Townsend, Andrew Moore, Chris Yarran, Oleg Markov, Nathan Broad, Josh Caddy, Toby Nankervis & Dion Prestia.

9 of their premiership team were trade ins or mature age recruits.

Some of the interactions between posters on this board have become very personally insulting - I was trying to pull you up on language before anything went that far. It's not a matter of whether I'm precious but trying to maintain some level of civility in line with board rules. You're the one who has arced up so maybe just keep your emotions better in check.

There is no magical uber-coach who sits above the coach. If Hinkley stuffs up it's on his head. The very people who decided he was worth a 4 year extension last year are hardly going to decide they were wrong and put someone over the top of Hinkley. If his results continue a downward spiral then they will have to make a decision on whether they continue with him. And again, given the 4 year extension, they will continue.

No doubt they will continue with whom, with the soft cap it’s too expensive not to, at least this gets us back in the right tract.

And again that’s hardly personal nor was it directed at you (unless your actually Hinkley which I highly doubt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back