Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that has always struck me with Port under Hinkley is that the players play to their opposition and that we revert to kind as soon as turbulence hits.

What I mean is that the good sides have a discernible playing style that they play week in, week out. Sure they adapt here or there or have to drag out wins in some situations but, in the main, strong sides play their brand and their plan. Hawthorn with their position footy, WC with their ‘web’, Crows with their overlap.

Port ‘got found out’ in 2015 and rejigged the gameplan. This seemed to work for patches of 2016 but with form and injuries we reverted to kind. Similar story in 17 and 18.

What I’ve struggled to understand is why we have such a disconnect between the list and the gameplan.

For example. This year we clearly started with a plan for 3 tall backs, one ruck, one ruck resting forward, two tall forwards. Use ruck dominance to get it to outside pace to deliver to our talls who mark or bring it down for our smalls. So maximise our exploitation of the new rules. If this doesn’t work, our high zone stops rapid transfers and doesn’t exhaust our players. We also have the skills in the backline to hold the ball and not turn it over, basically an area where every team gets a high percentage of goals.

So if that’s the plan why did we desert it after round two? We lost Watts and replaced with Howard - tall for tall. We lost Amon and replaced with Wines - outside for inside, why not drop another inside player for an outside runner? We dropped Marshall for Gray, tall for a small. Why? What did the coaches see in those two games that said we were too top heavy? Surely that was the plan or structure we had worked on all summer, so why change?

Even if Marshall needed to be dropped, he should have been replaced with a tall. If no talls were available could someone else play the role? If not, why were no other talls available? Why did you create a system that required something that your list didn’t have and why didn’t your list managers get what you need?

Other sides seem to manage without key players, so why can’t Port? Why do we change our plan at the first sign of difficulty?

I personally think this is the whole issue.

We make decisions and the media doesn't ask what the reasoning behind it was. No one at the club says 'Marshall is in the team because he gives us X, but at the moment he's not doing that. None of our tall players give us X, but Sam Gray has shown that he can in the past, so that's why we've selected him.'

No one is asking Ken to justify his selections to the public by doing those stupid videos that were obviously really uncomfortable, just explain why it was made better than 'you can't ignore that sort of form'...form that was displayed in a completely different position.

Tell us if you think Drew has a decent outside game or if that's what you want him to develop when Wines comes into the side, or if Duursma has the running capability to match what Amon brought to the table and that's why it was okay not to replace him.

Say why Howard is suddenly ready to take over in defence when Watts wasn't even playing as a key back - if it's a stop gap until Lienert comes in, you don't need to say that, you can just say 'Lienert isn't ready yet so we've brought in Dougal and we're giving him every chance to cement his spot in the team.'

Don't treat the supporters like idiots just because the media are. Use the press conferences not to answer their questions (because their questions are usually ******* dumb), but to educate the supporters on what the reasoning behind selections were. When people hear the reasoning, then they can understand.

"We've got a long way to go to become anything like the Ricmond Football Club."

Are you f***ing kidding me??? You've had SEVEN years!😡!

This bloke is gonna destroy the fabric of what made our club great. He needs to go. Now. Enough!
Fcuk Richmond. We are Port Adelaide is what i thought we were. Our own identity and history should dictate that statement. It used too for me anyways. We shouldn't even be comparing ourselves to other clubs. Other clubs should be doing it but unfortunately our once strong proud club has dwindled into some chapter of mediocrity of nearly is good enough. What wonderful standards we have now.

One thing that has always struck me with Port under Hinkley is that the players play to their opposition and that we revert to kind as soon as turbulence hits.

What I mean is that the good sides have a discernible playing style that they play week in, week out. Sure they adapt here or there or have to drag out wins in some situations but, in the main, strong sides play their brand and their plan. Hawthorn with their position footy, WC with their ‘web’, Crows with their overlap.

Port ‘got found out’ in 2015 and rejigged the gameplan. This seemed to work for patches of 2016 but with form and injuries we reverted to kind. Similar story in 17 and 18.

What I’ve struggled to understand is why we have such a disconnect between the list and the gameplan.

For example. This year we clearly started with a plan for 3 tall backs, one ruck, one ruck resting forward, two tall forwards. Use ruck dominance to get it to outside pace to deliver to our talls who mark or bring it down for our smalls. So maximise our exploitation of the new rules. If this doesn’t work, our high zone stops rapid transfers and doesn’t exhaust our players. We also have the skills in the backline to hold the ball and not turn it over, basically an area where every team gets a high percentage of goals.

So if that’s the plan why did we desert it after round two? We lost Watts and replaced with Howard - tall for tall. We lost Amon and replaced with Wines - outside for inside, why not drop another inside player for an outside runner? We dropped Marshall for Gray, tall for a small. Why? What did the coaches see in those two games that said we were too top heavy? Surely that was the plan or structure we had worked on all summer, so why change?

Even if Marshall needed to be dropped, he should have been replaced with a tall. If no talls were available could someone else play the role? If not, why were no other talls available? Why did you create a system that required something that your list didn’t have and why didn’t your list managers get what you need?

Other sides seem to manage without key players, so why can’t Port? Why do we change our plan at the first sign of difficulty?

Cause Stinkley & the selectors have NFI.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apart from the 1st 12 rounds of 2014 and a few finals we have always been a average side under Hinkley, the same issues now effected us in 13/14 we have just forgot and the finals are the only thing we can really remember under ken
We were coming from a long way back before 2013-14 so we did ok. No excuses for where we are now.

Kenny KGB:

6601468b-8e85-4e09-a3d3-015876907129_text_hi.gif

"And in my club, I will drop Todd Marshall whenever the * I please."

This bloke is gonna destroy the fabric of what made our club great. He needs to go. Now. Enough!
He is telling the truth, and he is one of the main responsible for it.

“We are Port Adelaide” - PAFC
“We’ve got a long way to go to be anything like the Richmond Football club” - Ken Hinkley PAFC Head Coach

We are so confused as a club we have no idea who we even are or want to be.

With Ken as coach we HAVE always been a work in progress.

Why do we want to be like anybody else?

This is the problem he doesn't know what to do to get us to where WE need to be.

Someone asked before, but then it went off in a soft cap we can't afford it direction/discussion. Can we simply not allow Hinkley to coach? I mean keep paying him, but just not let him anywhere near the joint. Again I'm not talking about sacking him, I'm not talking about anybody new to replace him. Just simply not let him coach. Let one of the assistants take the reins completely (Monty possibly as he has the most experience at this level, or Schoey although still very raw at AFL level). Just reshuffle the assistants.

To me this seems like a way we could **** off Ken without destroying our soft cap. Could this happen?

This sounds like the basic premise of what could be a Will Ferrell movie....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe he said that. What a ******* twat. 5 years ago Richmond were a laughing stock after we pulverised them. Since then this fat clown has taken us backwards year after year

But Richmond only have one captain?
Who didn't play on Saturday yet Richmond still managed to beat us with both our captains playing. o_O

"The move has polarised Power supporters, but Hinkley said it was done with the club's best interests at heart.

'We'll convince them purely through results ...' Hinkley said."

Could the results be any less convincing.

I can't believe he said that. What a ******* twat. 5 years ago Richmond were a laughing stock after we pulverised them. Since then this fat clown has taken us backwards year after year

It’s such an awful mindset. We’re always “building” instead of “being” if that makes sense, just kicking the can down the road. The future is never realised.

I know Clarkson comparisons have been done to death on this board but I get the sense that he’s the exact opposite. Always thinking about how they’re gonna win the flag this year, even if they’re not the best team. It’s an excellent approach because if the last few Premiers have taught us anything it’s that you don’t always have to be.

Who didn't play on Saturday yet Richmond still managed to beat us with both our captains playing. o_O

"The move has polarised Power supporters, but Hinkley said it was done with the club's best interests at heart.

'We'll convince them purely through results ...' Hinkley said."

Could the results be any less convincing.

It's got worse with Wines in!

We have managed the failing to live up to expectations and the embarrassing losses but, to be fair, we are only missing Dixon and Hartlett, ie Riewoldt and Houli, so we do still need to lose Jonas, Boak, Rockliff and maybe a couple of players in the back up group. Then we really be like Richmond....

Pretty sure we were already there in the 2014 EF. Then again, that probably doesn't count because the guy said the win over the side currently placed 16th on the ladder was our greatest win ever.

Pretty sure we were already there in the 2014 EF. Then again, that probably doesn't count because the guy said the win over the side currently placed 16th on the ladder was our greatest win ever.

I was at both games and no prizes for guessing which one had the guy behind me saying “I get that you’re excited but can you please sit down I can’t see” before quarter time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back