Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't dislike Ken as a person I just don't want him coaching my football club.

There's plenty of heat on KT, Koch and the board for offering Hinkley a premature and undeserved contract extension.

I have no just cause but I want to make this great bloke a 10 year coach! Stuff it let’s go by averages, make him an 18 year coach and he’ll win us one eventually.

But in context the wins aren’t so much as great as a relief

Showdown last year - we were 3 goals up in overtime and somehow managed the cough up the lead. If it wasn’t for good fortune we’d have lost the unlosable game.

Saints the year before - we were facing a bottom 8 team and played horribly. Again, if it wasn’t for good fortune we’d have lost.

Isn’t it funny? The “great” wins the last couple of seasons have been great because we avoided chocking.

Those wins weren’t the issues, well not for me anyway. Even Hawthorn, Geelong, WC, Sydney, etc, have close wins against poor opposition and nearly squander good leads. You can’t always control what the opposition throws at you, sometimes a side comes at you red hot and you just have to find a way to win. The good sides do that.

For me it’s the losses to Carlton, Brisbane, Richmond this year, Freo previously. All of those losses cost us seasons and we were the unbackable favourites in all of them. This costs us 4 points. Add to these losses, getting blown away in a quarter by the Crows, GWS, WC, Geelong and Essendon. This can happen once in a blue moon to a good side. This happens to us every year at least once. This costs us percentage.

It’s these losses, that happen like clockwork, which sap our seasons of momentum, points and percentage, which ensure we are never realistic top 4 aspirants. It’s these losses that are on Hinkley.

But in context the wins aren’t so much as great as a relief

Showdown last year - we were 3 goals up in overtime and somehow managed the cough up the lead. If it wasn’t for good fortune we’d have lost the unlosable game.

Saints the year before - we were facing a bottom 8 team and played horribly. Again, if it wasn’t for good fortune we’d have lost.

Isn’t it funny? The “great” wins the last couple of seasons have been great because we avoided chocking.
I don't classify our "great" wins based on margin. If we're looking at the last year there were plenty of good wins to boot. Defeating and successfully stopping a Richmond side from making a comeback in a long game, letting everyone get a turn in a clean opening match against Fremantle, causing an upset against North Melbourne under the dome with a weaker 22, and of course our persistent victory in the opening round of this year.
And this is just from the last year, I agree with you regarding the Saints victory, but Adelaide had plentiful form going up against us in that game.
The biggest problem with us right now isn't our capacity, it's our consistency.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'm of the opinion that our results in 2013 and 2014 had more to do with John McCarthy than Ken Hinkley.

Along with the club actually investing in the football department. In the Primus era we had Dean Laidley as our midfield coach...coaching from Melbourne via Skpe. Our senior players were leaving in droves as Primus was attempting a rebuild and refusing to play certain senior players e.g. Chad Cornes. In comes Hinkley along with Phil Walsh, Allan Richardson and a world class fitness coach in Darren Burgess. "We will never give up" is an easy motto to follow when your club is routinely getting beat by 100+ points.

The Cantonese have a saying in regard to gambling:
Winning in the beginning leads to losing in the end- meaning a lucky break in gambling is not a blessing but a curse in disguise.
I think this applies to Hinkley. We overachieved at the beginning of his tenure but we are now paying the price for persisting with him and using those first couple of years to cover up any cracks.

From calling a Round 1 win his “best win ever” and essentially saying that Richmond are better than us, he’s well and truly lost the plot now.
That's why I wrote I didn't believe the statement after he said it, said he has the right to believe it, but that it just shows how much pressure he was under.

'we've always punched above our weight'

Lol we were the best club in the league for 100 years and a powerhouse that earned promotion to the AFL against all sorts of team ups from the other guys.

In 2001 - 2007 we probably punched BELOW our weight, and that's a period where had many top finishes and won a flag.

These guys are seriously rewriting history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha exactly.

Our entire AFL legacy is punching below our weight.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'm of the opinion that our results in 2013 and 2014 had more to do with John McCarthy than Ken Hinkley.

I thought at the time, that the players, were playing for J-Mac, to right a wrong, whatever you want to call it, but it was driving them to do the extraordinary for a fallen mate.

On the long drive back from Melbourne after we lost the PF, to make it back in time for the SANFL GF, I thought about how much longer this could really drive the players. I knew at sometime the almost irrational drive to do it for J-Mac, would have to be replaced by a cold hard ruthless hunger to do it for yourself. Then we have that close loss against Norwood in the SANFL GF. It was like all of the air had been let out of the balloon by Sunday night.

That might have been the release. 2 years of driving themselves of doing it for J-Mac and no silverware to show for it, might have been the end of that drive to do the extraordinary.

Plus at the end of the 2014 after delistings and retirements, only 22 of the 45 man 2012 squad were left on the list, plus Kane retired early in 2015 and Tom Logan who was close to J-Mac, only played in the Magpies and retired at end of the 2015.

Last edited:
Yeh that's my point, no sense of reality.
If we don't consider our losses, our record against them is pretty good! :straining:

I think he meant "in Perth", but the stadium doesn't exist anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What will happen 1st...

Hinkley getting sacked?
or
the rebuild of Notre Dame?
Well one is a historical structure, the other is an old man that coaches a football team, I'm gonna put my money on Ken though, only because France actually cares about PACING themselves for a thorough rebuild.

Well one is a historical structure, the other is an old man that coaches a football team, I'm gonna put my money on Ken though, only because France actually cares about PACING themselves for a thorough rebuild.
The French government have stated they hope to have Notre Dame rebuilt in time for the 2024 Olympic Games. Ken's current contract runs out at the end of 2021 but Koch is keen to give him another 3 year extension to fulfill his "ten year coach" objective.

The French government have stated they hope to have Notre Dame rebuilt in time for the 2024 Olympic Games. Ken's current contract runs out at the end of 2021 but Koch is keen to give him another 3 year extension to fulfill his "ten year coach" objective.
There'll only be about 10,000 members left by the time that happens, maybe they'll bring back the seating banners too...

Maybe the club could offer Kern, Koch and Voss to the French government with instructions they be encased in concrete to help hold up the new structure. :think:

Along with the club actually investing in the football department. In the Primus era we had Dean Laidley as our midfield coach...coaching from Melbourne via Skpe. Our senior players were leaving in droves as Primus was attempting a rebuild and refusing to play certain senior players e.g. Chad Cornes. In comes Hinkley along with Phil Walsh, Allan Richardson and a world class fitness coach in Darren Burgess. "We will never give up" is an easy motto to follow when your club is routinely getting beat by 100+ points.

The Cantonese have a saying in regard to gambling:
Winning in the beginning leads to losing in the end- meaning a lucky break in gambling is not a blessing but a curse in disguise.
I think this applies to Hinkley. We overachieved at the beginning of his tenure but we are now paying the price for persisting with him and using those first couple of years to cover up any cracks.
You forgot the questionable fitness and injuries Primus had to deal with.
Our off field department was the best in the AFL.

I thought at the time, that the players, were playing for J-Mac, to right a wrong, whatever you want to call it, but it was driving them to do the extraordinary for a fallen mate.

On the long drive back from Melbourne after we lost the PF, to make it back in time for the SANFL GF, I thought about how much longer this could really drive the players. I knew at sometime the almost irrational drive to do it for J-Mac, would have to be replaced by a cold hard ruthless hunger to do it for yourself. Then we have that close loss against Norwood in the SANFL GF. It was like all of the air had been let out of the balloon by Sunday night.

That might have been the release. 2 years of driving themselves of doing it for J-Mac and no silverware to show for it, might have been the end of that drive to do the extraordinary.

Plus at the end of the 2014 after delistings and retirements, only 22 of the 45 man 2012 squad were left on the list, plus Kane retired early in 2015 and Tom Logan who was close to J-Mac, only played in the Magpies and retired at end of the year.

I believe pro sport is largely a mental game. You have your outlier teams that are bursting with talent (eg Brisbabe Lions early 2000s) and those that just don't have the cattle (eg Carlton recent years), but the difference between most teams is mental.

The combined effect of a new coach and J-Mac gave us the impetus we needed to launch a committed, focused attack on the flag. An easy draw to start 2013 added a sense of belief and we were off and running. We should've made a PF in 2013 with essentially the same team that was utter crap in 2012. We then went on an even better run in 2014 and should've made the GF.

The mistakes of the 2014/2015 off season are well documented here. We lost our mental edge that summer. We became complacent and forgot what had made us a good team to begin with. Opposite to 2013, the hard draw to start 2015 (I think we played the eventual top 6 in the first 6 weeks) compounded the problem. Since then, we've been mediocre in the truest sense of the word.

As a ball club, we have very little belief. You can feel it in the crowd. You can see it on the faces of players and coaches. You see it on the scoreboard in our notorious 7 or 8 close defeats each year that all follow the same script. In addition, we lack focus and commitment to the goal of winning the premiership. Our focus has become making finals, which is a mediocre goal and bound to give you mediocre results. We don't believe we are good enough as a ball club and until we do, we'll never even go close to winning anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back