Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
These selections or should I say non selections, have me thinking Hinkley must know how we feel and is starting to take the piss.

Just may be the club are not so stupid, the writings on the wall for KH, that's why Schofield and Monty were employed. Fingers crossed.
Nar he did that last year by waiting till the last game to play Billy , now that was really telling the Members/Supporters to Get F@#ked !

Ah but ken says everything the AFL want to here, never blasting umpires or players, praising the opposition teams. Remember, this man is almost the face of the AFL in China, so he makes sure he tows the AFL line, what a puppet.

Ken is an afl apologist and generally an enthusiastic apologist.

Lol. Relies on our mental strength? It's not 2013/14 anymore. The players no longer believe. "We're only a small club ", "We have a long way to go to be like Richmond", "punching above our weight". It's no wonder we lose the unlosable.
I wonder what the players think when they here this dribble. We are a small club punching above it's weight but if that's the case why doesn't Hinkley align his pay check to a small club, he gets paid like the big coaches.

I wonder what the players think when they here this dribble. We are a small club punching above it's weight but if that's the case why doesn't Hinkley align his pay check to a small club, he gets paid like the big coaches.

Unfortunately many of the players are in the club's bubble and not exposed to alternative thoughts. It is why guys like Jonas at the captain's photograph day declared the club's mindset of being the underdog for season 2019 in a tv interview at the captain's photograph day. Four other captains tipped Port to make the finals and Jonas' response was "It's a great motivation for us, we love being underdogs, we're Port Adelaide". This continual mindset of not being the best has shaped who we are, underdogs, and underdogs mostly lose and remain losers.

Last edited:
The loser talk coming out of this club over the past few years has been appalling. "We've got a long way to go to be anything like the Richmond Football club" actually mate a short 5 years ago we gave that club one of the most brutal finals batterings in recent history - THEY had a long way to go to be anything like US. It seems like our situations have been completed reversed since, and guess who's been at the helm for those short 5 years? That's you Ken.

Failing to meet expectations I can understand, we did it a fair bit throughout 2001-2007 to be honest, but actively trying to downplay and lower those expectations as a club in order to take the pressure off? **** off. Bunch off piss-weak muppets in charge if they think that's okay.

You can crumble under the weight of the Port Adelaide history and expectation but don't you dare try to downplay that history. This is our club, not yours.

Unfortunately many of the players are in the club's bubble and not exposed to alternative thoughts. It is why guys like Jonas at the captain's photograph day declared the club's mindset of being the underdog for season 2019 in a tv interview at the captain's photograph day. Four other captains tipped Port to make the finals and Jonas' response was "It's a great motivation for us, we love being underdogs, we're Port Adelaide". This continual mindset of not being the best has shaped who we are, underdogs, and underdogs mostly lose and remain losers.
That sort of attitude coming from your captain is such a losers mentality, the players seem to be buying into the Hinkley camp, this worries me.

That sort of attitude coming from your captain is such a losers mentality, the players seem to be buying into the Hinkley camp, this worries me.

They are obviously `buying into ' it because it gives them an easy out for their continued failures.

One can only wonder how long Big Bob McLean would have put up with the weak campaigners running the club, both on and off the field, if he was still around today.
I suspect he would have treated them with absolute disdain!

Heard a snippet of Caro on AA yesterday and she was saying how Pyke is under pressure.

When it comes to Ken though.....crickets.

Blight virtually said the same during the week, said Port and Ken are doing well as he expected them to finish around 12th....okay Malcom.

What the actual ****? Is this real life?
Would be nice if he copped some heat for being consistently s**t.
It really doesn't matter what they say. They're not invested emotionally or monetarily.

What shits me about underdog tag the most is it wheeled out at home games. Except perhaps the ‘50/50’ showdowns (which aren’t really as it’s been many years since Port won one whilst clearly the much worse of the two teams in a year, but not vice versa), we should always be favourites at home.

This ties in to another one that’s given me the shits for the last few years. Our gameplan and list should first and foremost be configured to win at home, we’ll always play 12 out of 22 there, a neutral away in China and 2-5 more on similar shaped grounds each year. A game plan that is great at the MCG, ‘in case we make the Grand final’ is of no use if it’s sub-par for the 14-18 games on AO or AO like dimensions. It’s arrogance and stupidity tied together, pure Ken.

I'm not ok with losing as it is, but can our coach please stop being humbled, apologetic and over-credit our opposition after every loss.

Be honest, could you imagine Choco in the 2001-2003 period turning to Bucky and saying "Just happy to be here, lil' old Port up there with the big boys of Collingwood/Brisbane, someone's gotta lose though!".

Yeah we stuffed up and were chokers back then, but it was that fear-of-failure and realising we needed to toughen up and face up to the schoolyard bully that finally helped us win that flag.

West Coast see us as losers and their usual suspects will have a feast tonight, it'll be like Biff grazing George McFly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know where this underdog tag has suddenly appeared from. I preferred team you love to hate. The only way I'd entertain underdog is if we were playing with half our side out with injuries.

In my view it originates with KT unfortunately. When KT arrived he stated that he wanted to bring back the "swagger" and "arrogance" that he believed Port Adelaide had when he was playing against Port. I've heard him explain it in early interviews at the Bistro where he knew Port to be a "win at all costs club" and that's why Port was "feared" and won games when "they were the underdog". I don't have issue with the above when in context but somehow this underdog mindset has become the mythical summary of our history and of ourselves. It has been emphasised by KT, obviously explained to Ken and then accelerated by Ken because it appears more and more that he prefers to deflect expectation, which in turn is repeated by Boak, and now Jonas, and over-used by the market/media dummies via Facebook for whatever reason to eagerly publish on Facebook "this week we're the underdog and that's how we like it". Gradually the whole mindset of the club sub-consciously searches for any phrases that reinforces the similar message.

For all the good KT has done and his knowledge of Port Adelaide there are things that I think KT doesn't understand. When he arrived he said that he wanted to encourage the banter with the crows and so in the early years we've seen this banter on the banner messages and with mid-week tweets towards the crows prior to showdowns. It is as if his interpretation of Port's "swagger" and "arrogance" happened during the week, and this is not how I have known Port Adelaide to be, a bigmouth club during the week leading up to a game, well certainly not under Jack.

We become who we think we are.

I'm not ok with losing as it is, but can our coach please stop being humbled, apologetic and over-credit our opposition after every loss.

Be honest, could you imagine Choco in the 2001-2003 period turning to Bucky and saying "Just happy to be here, lil' old Port up there with the big boys of Collingwood/Brisbane, someone's gotta lose though!".

Yeah we stuffed up and were chokers back then, but it was that fear-of-failure and realising we needed to toughen up and face up to the schoolyard bully that finally helped us win that flag.

West Coast see us as losers and their usual suspects will have a feast tonight, it'll be like Biff grazing George McFly.

The term 'humble' puzzles me. To be Port Adelaide but humble too. Ken has said it a couple of times but it also was used by Primus when he was appointed as the senior coach. "We want to be a humble club" he said.

Today interview by Scott Lycett:

"When I was there working with West Coast, they didn't rely on one or two guys in the midfield," Lycett said.

"If one guy wasn't standing up, then it didn't bother us at the time, another person would stand up and take that responsibility.

"I think that's where they're so dangerous - they've got a lot of weapons in the midfield.

"If one's not firing, then another is, which is pretty damaging."

Sounds like logical coaching 🤔

The loser talk coming out of this club over the past few years has been appalling. "We've got a long way to go to be anything like the Richmond Football club" actually mate a short 5 years ago we gave that club one of the most brutal finals batterings in recent history - THEY had a long way to go to be anything like US. It seems like our situations have been completed reversed since, and guess who's been at the helm for those short 5 years? That's you Ken.

Failing to meet expectations I can understand, we did it a fair bit throughout 2001-2007 to be honest, but actively trying to downplay and lower those expectations as a club in order to take the pressure off? **** off. Bunch off piss-weak muppets in charge if they think that's okay.

You can crumble under the weight of the Port Adelaide history and expectation but don't you dare try to downplay that history. This is our club, not yours.

email that to the club

Statements like "this loss burns in the guts but you've got to credit the opposition who took it up to us and we'll learn from it" when we lose to some scrubber bottom-half side are intended to deflect from his own mediocre performance.

Lol. Relies on our mental strength? It's not 2013/14 anymore. The players no longer believe. "We're only a small club ", "We have a long way to go to be like Richmond", "punching above our weight". It's no wonder we lose the unlosable.
If the players didn't believe then I don't think Wines would've signed on for five years, not to mention all the feel-good player interviews, everyone is a victim of being oblivious in the club right now, including the players.

I'll get scolded for saying this but all this talk about our club's "Heritage" no longer defines us as an AFL club. I like the Power but the only true Port Adelaide was the Magpies. We were basically the Collingwood of that league with all the money and talent we could wish for (Except unlike Collingwood we actually won Grand Finals)
To be honest, Port never should've been an AFL club. If we came in back in 1991 like we were supposed to then I wouldn't have any complaints, but the only reason we had any sort of success in our early years was due to our early players being filled with passion for the club like Treadrea, Gavin and almost all of our best 22 players. But it's no surprise considering those early years were more vital for putting Port on the big stage in order to compete with Crows attendances.
Now if anything we're more like the Crows, we're nothing but a "Small club" and our biggest goal is... well... existing to make money and not go back to the Primus period, as long as the club can achieve that then nothing else matters. There is no passion in our club, there is bond and potential, but no urge to just get things done and win a premiership.
This is the expectation that I've put on myself for Port in the future, and if I didn't then I'd be out there with the rest of you spewing on Ken, but until true Port heroes manage and direct the club to success, then Ken might be as good as it gets.

Will people please stop referring to it as the Primus period. Primus just happened to be the poor sucker that got to coach us during that period.

I'll get scolded for saying this but all this talk about our club's "Heritage" no longer defines us as an AFL club. I like the Power but the only true Port Adelaide was the Magpies. We were basically the Collingwood of that league with all the money and talent we could wish for (Except unlike Collingwood we actually won Grand Finals)
To be honest, Port never should've been an AFL club. If we came in back in 1991 like we were supposed to then I wouldn't have any complaints, but the only reason we had any sort of success in our early years was due to our early players being filled with passion for the club like Treadrea, Gavin and almost all of our best 22 players. But it's no surprise considering those early years were more vital for putting Port on the big stage in order to compete with Crows attendances.
Now if anything we're more like the Crows, we're nothing but a "Small club" and our biggest goal is... well... existing to make money and not go back to the Primus period, as long as the club can achieve that then nothing else matters. There is no passion in our club, there is bond and potential, but no urge to just get things done and win a premiership.
This is the expectation that I've put on myself for Port in the future, and if I didn't then I'd be out there with the rest of you spewing on Ken, but until true Port heroes manage and direct the club to success, then Ken might be as good as it gets.
When hinkley go's.... you can * off as well.

I'm really not sure what I can do in response to this post that doesn't end up with me in jail for murder.

You are scolded!!!!.

The more Port adelaide we become the more successful we will be.

When did we re engage again with members - when we recognised who we are. When we start thinking like we should and expect to win every game and accept nothing less and faaark off the passengers then we we will be starting on the right path.

Stuff this different league different time stuff . Start thinking and acting like Port Adelaide and if you don't succeed you will still add to.our rich history.

And I scold you again.

Out out damn spot get thee to a nunnery!

dawSJlv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back