Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Charlie doesn't run up the ground. He sets up at CHF when the ball is bounced then moves into the centre square where he stays for long periods. He never gets deep enough into attack to run down the ground. I have no argument with the theory you are espousing but Charlie isn't taking big contested grabs, he is winning the ball in scrambles or taking marks from short kicks. We could use other players for that, Westhoff's name springs to mind, he is more mobile than Charlie, almost as tall and has a reasonable pair of hands. In fact last year Ken was using Westhoff as a tall midfielder and Charlie as our key forward. Somehow I do not think Ken has got out of the damage control mode that he was forced into with Ryder's injury.

Why is it we are so preoccupied with how the other team plays? When are we going to focus on how we want to play and force the opposition to counter that? I agree we have a game plan based on defence and a frustratingly tedious movement out of defence but that does not mean our best big forward has to become a victim of the strategy. On that basis I think some of the statements about Dixon's form are unwarranted. Play the guy in the role he plays best then criticise.

A question for all Port supporters, which Charlie Dixon would you prefer, Charlie Dixon 2017 or Charlie Dixon 2018. I know which one I want to see and I also know that I am not likely to see it under the current strategy.

He sets up at CHF because Watts is the one who is meant to lead out if we win a quick centre clearance, since he’s a better set shot.

If we don’t, he can always swap with Watts and provide a contested marking presence when he drops in the hole. He’s always going to have to do running regardless.

And I want the 2018 Dixon who holds up the 2018 premiership cup.

The first half had all the hallmarks of kern. Work our backsides off, win contested ball, limit their inside 50s and still kick only 3 goals in a half of footy.
And nearly losing the game after being 3 goals up in Q4. But I'm just relieved we won. Very grateful to the players that really wanted that win.

Reading through a few of these posts. Jeez, some of you guys, if you can’t enjoy a win then what’s the point of following a footy team?

I enjoyed the hell out of the win, but im still expecting the imminent return of hinkleyball. Maybe after the suns game cause they're complete trash

Ken's better when he gets angry. We're better when Ken gets angry. I want a return to the days when he almost snotted Shaun Hart in the coaches box (as long as it doesn't entail Hart returning to the club in any capacity).
Happy to nominate my punchable face for repeated thrashings if it means a flag.

Lol if Motlop shanked that kick and we got a draw, this thread would have been on page 119 before Mum's Sunday roast

I've put faith on hold for six weeks.

It was nice to see Ken excited, hopefully this puts us on the right track, but there's still a long way to go before we validate the 4 more years

I posted this in the Media Nod's Head thread but it is also relevant here. It is an extract from a Warren Tredrea article published in The Monopoly Times last Thursday. I can recommend the article to all Port supporters.

Tredders writes ...

After last weekend’s 42-point thrashing at the hands of West Coast, Power coach Ken Hinkley said: “One side was really strong in the contest, one wasn’t.”
Words like these would embarrass a football club, especially one that has prided itself on its never-say-die attitude for over 147 years.
Last weekend’s loss to West Coast was a shocker — lacking effort, discipline and competitiveness.

and this...

Make no mistake, the Power is on notice.
Coach Ken Hinkley isn’t exempt, after being backed in by the club’s board with a huge three-year contract extension after last season’s finals capitulation against the Eagles. He must find a way to fire up his players so they perform and stay on edge.

The club’s on-field leaders are also under the microscope, too often the heavy lifting is left to too few while others go missing in action.
Talent has never been Port Adelaide’s problem. Attitude and being able to consistently bring effort is.

There is a clear distinction between people who have been bought up within the PAFC culture and those who have been imported. Many imports have done well and we should acknowledge their efforts but they could not have written that article with that passion. Well done for calling it as it is Tredders.

Ken is the absolute master of identifying problems after the event. Anyone who watched that West Coast match will tell you we were not hard enough what we want to know is, 'why, and what are you going to do about it Ken'? Ken has the first bit, identifying a problem, right but he also has to get the second bit, fixing the problem, right.
Thank you Tredders. Finally some truth.

Reading through a few of these posts. Jeez, some of you guys, if you can’t enjoy a win then what’s the point of following a footy team?
You are so right. I was down in the dumps last week but stuff it, I’m going to milk this one for all I can.
I saw a different, tougher midfield out there. If they can really click like our young defence has then we can get our forwards playing as a team and wow.

Funny how commentators were praising the quality of Essendon’s recruiting while we apparently got rejects.

Pembo just commented on poor social media and named the Crows fan on facebook who said he wished Gray had died of cancer.
Ok well done Pembo. Now Hussey let us see what you are made of.

By the way, both Pyke and Hart blaming the bounce of the ball for their loss. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Perfect opportunity for Channel 7 to show they're not propaganda mouth pieces for the AFC.

Even if they do report it, credit still has to go to Kornes because he's the one that has brought attention to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfect opportunity for Channel 7 to show they're not propaganda mouth pieces for the AFC.

But they are. They openly admit it. They have a show on their network called ‘The Crows Show’ FFS.

Dear ken.

Playing rockliff into some form after missing a preseason through shoulder reconstruction, knee injury and calf injury is not a courageous decision.(article on afl site) It is obvious. Sheesh, as soon as you give me some hope, you say something to make me lose the faith.

Harden up kenny. You too nice.

Lots of love.

Row.

We were still very much a work in progress at best.
I liked Rockliff in the middle.
I hope having Dixon/Watts Westhoff way up the field isn't going to be a permanent way we work.

While the small forward line worked in q3, reality is 3 goals from free kicks that most weeks we may not have gotten makes it look better than it was. We were lucky to get the reward for the dominance we had.

The correct decisions re spp and rockliffe were made for 2 games in sanfl and they both came in nd made a diff. Realistically the crows had a few out, but we took it up to them. A v v v v fine line re winning in the end. V exciting and stressful. They have a good coach and potent forward line. Great game to watch and a relieved win.

Carn. Everyone enjoyed the win.

But if this result matters so much against the tone of the thread, why haven't the 30-odd soul-destroying losses where we were favourites, didn't turn up, or blew leads?

We loved it, celebrated etc, but 1 swallow and all that. But let's not forget the reason this thread exists. Jury is still a long way out.

I’m not calling them back in until the end of #superjune. Consistently beating good opposition in prime time proves that we can handle to pressure and if that happens most people will believe again.

We loved it, celebrated etc, but 1 swallow and all that. But let's not forget the reason this thread exists. Jury is still a long way out.

Let’s also not forget that if Richard Douglas and Mitch McGovern hadn’t run headfirst into each other then Ken’s head would be sitting on a pike outside Alberton right now.

Carn. Everyone enjoyed the win.

But if this result matters so much against the tone of the thread, why haven't the 30-odd soul-destroying losses where we were favourites, didn't turn up, or blew leads?
Lol yeah this ^

Was great win but history is history and our history of defining mediocre down to the letter doesn’t evaporate with a lucky but otherwise stiffening win

I think there has been a big mental element to some of our recent painful losses, and that win could go some way to instilling belief back in to the playing group.

Hinkley also deserves some credit for outcoaching Pyke for that win. Started with some decent match ups. Good in game changes (for instance, Wingard to Laird). Good centre square set ups, and some of the right set ups at key moments (ie. numbers in the right place at the back of the square for Motlops goal).

Yes there are still the ghosts of many bad losses, but some of the main criticisms of Ken have been 1) he is stubborn and 2) he doesn't change things up during the game. This win was a tick for him against both of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back