Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ken wants to get out of the contract, he can. A contract doesn't keep you fixed into an agreement. It just puts in place repercussions (Such as paying damages) in the event that the contract is broken.

This idea of holding Hinkley out for 2018 then reevaluating is so far from reality it's ridiculous. He's either getting a new deal here or he's off to the gold coast.

If that is the case, then let him break it and go, but that is incredibly unlikely to happen. The AFL won't be keen on that.

In any case, like he's worth the fuss. He either serves out his contract or he goes. We should not be offering him an extension with a year to run.

I don't know if it's just me, but the non-selection of Trengove for the West Coast final is grinding my gears more and more. It's at the point where it feels like match fixing, as crazy as that sounds.

Where the club sees Trengove in 2018 and beyond is irrelevant to 2017 finals where you play your best current team. It was a too obvious selection mistake which kills confidence in the coaching panel - as well as being a killer of supporter engagement...

We have been plagued by poor skills and scoring inaccuracy all year, the answer isn't to play the worst kick of 2017 in a final because he can run fast.

I know you guys are still feeling it but time to take a Bex Forza. I agree with you however it's over and all's you can do is reflect.

If he wants the Gold Coast job and Gold Coast want him, let him go. Holding him here when he wants to be somewhere else is about the stupidest thing the club could do in this instance.
It'll be like the China guernsey thing again. Koch will bang his chest like he's in control of everything, Ken will go, and we'll look like dickheads. Just come to a mutual parting of ways if Gold Coast is Ken's preferred option and get on with planning for 2018.

I couldn't care less if Ken stays or goes.. there are positives each way. The list needs a tweak regardless and clearly Ken's structures are weak at times. If Ken's double thinking about staying I'd say open the door for him and pack his stuff because if he's not committed he's second guessing this list and it's ability to perfect his gameplan he wants. There's some doubt there and he knows it. At the end of the day the guy isn't getting any younger and some financial security would do him well without the pressure bowl in Adelaide. With dwindling crowds and pitchforks behind him for a year is it worth staying here?

We need some more tactical nous on gameday anyway and less of that farther figure hard working coach that we needed when the club was broken a few years ago. We are at a point now where we know this list can do the basics and show the right behaviours which Ken installed but does he have the ability to go further than that to have them playing to a consistent structure.. probably not.

Last edited:
Likely signed for 3 more seasons. I can only pray they will be as impressive with Hinkley at the helm as the last 3.

Confirmed (also FB): "Ken Hinkley will definitely coach the Power in 2018 with the AFL and Gold Coast confirming Gold Coast will not pursue Hinkley for the vacant Gold Coast senior coaching job."

This all raises a lot of questions to me about what horse trading has been going on behind the scenes but which I am too tired to ask right now :)

So Hinkley gets a 2 year extension to end of 2020. 2020 is our 150th and I suspect it will be the end of Koch, KT etc. If we were to win the flag in 2020 I can see a huge exodus like straight after the 2004 flag.

If he wants the Gold Coast job and Gold Coast want him, let him go. Holding him here when he wants to be somewhere else is about the stupidest thing the club could do in this instance.
It'll be like the China guernsey thing again. Koch will bang his chest like he's in control of everything, Ken will go, and we'll look like dickheads. Just come to a mutual parting of ways if Gold Coast is Ken's preferred option and get on with planning for 2018.

I think what you're trying to say is...

dropthebass.gif

Likely signed for 3 more seasons. I can only pray they will be as impressive with Hinkley at the helm as the last 3.

Confirmed (also FB): "Ken Hinkley will definitely coach the Power in 2018 with the AFL and Gold Coast confirming Gold Coast will not pursue Hinkley for the vacant Gold Coast senior coaching job."

This all raises a lot of questions to me about what horse trading has been going on behind the scenes but which I am too tired to ask right now :)

Random shitty Facebook page with the worst logo I've ever seen?

Must be true and accurate.

Imo we are not obligated to offer him **** all.

If we wait till next year, watch his currency drop. Signing him now will be at the top of his worth because of GCs bullshit.

**** him, we've got another year to hold him to. He'll be worth nothing this time next year.

Don't jump at shadows.
Yeah, if we don't extend him now it gives him greater incentive to perform next year if he's auditioning for another gig or looking to stay with us.

After reading Tredders tweet this morning, I doubt GC make any more moves.

AFL bankroll GC, it would be a super bad look if an AFL run team is encouraging a coach to break his contract.

They'll back off now Port have made a statement. Not sure what the next play will be.

I want Port to tell Ken, no negotiations till mid-season next year. If he want's to walk now, he can break the contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some on here want Bassett to be our eventual coach, personally I'm still not sold on him.
If Hinkley's contract is extended, will Bassett be prepared to hang around and play second fiddle for 3 more years?

After watching Norwood play under Bass I'm not that keen on him , . He had an effective game plan but boy was it ugly to watch .
Think defensive coach suits him at the moment .
I'd stick with Ken myself
I'd take a PF, 3 GFs and 2 flags in 4 years. Thank you very much.

Caro in The Age says that there's a bit of negotiation to go yet, even if Port do offer a 2 year extension. Seems there is some tension between the coaching panel and the board.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/port-a...o-keep-coach-ken-hinkley-20170915-gyimb6.html
I don't believe Hinkley is in a position to dictate terms. Going down on bent knee will not serve the club well. Kochie probably gave him and the coaching panel the word post Crows game hence the belated attempt at introducing fresh faces. If it comes to a pissing contest between Kochie and Ken, back the Port boy every time.

I don't believe Hinkley is in a position to dictate terms. Going down on bent knee will not serve the club well. Kochie probably gave him and the coaching panel the word post Crows game hence the belated attempt at introducing fresh faces. If it comes to a pissing contest between Kochie and Ken, back the Port boy every time.

I'm not sure that Kochie would have been the one telling Ken to inject youth into the side post the Showdown, because Koch's "the jury is out on that one" regarding youthful team selection post the elimination final.

I don't know if it's just me, but the non-selection of Trengove for the West Coast final is grinding my gears more and more. It's at the point where it feels like match fixing, as crazy as that sounds.

Where the club sees Trengove in 2018 and beyond is irrelevant to 2017 finals where you play your best current team. It was a too obvious selection mistake which kills confidence in the coaching panel - as well as being a killer of supporter engagement...

We have been plagued by poor skills and scoring inaccuracy all year, the answer isn't to play the worst kick of 2017 in a final because he can run fast.

It was the second huge pre-game mistake. Jonas' brain fart was the first.

Never look to conspiracy where simple incompetence explains something well enough.

Ken might not want the Gold coast job and is just using the offer as leverage to get a better deal with Port. Personally i can't blame someone for doing this. It's up to Keith, Koch etc to not blink and do what is in the best interest of the club.

AND THAT IS NOT EXTENDING HIS CONTRACT AFTER 3 FAILED YEARS.

Some on here want Bassett to be our eventual coach, personally I'm still not sold on him.
If Hinkley's contract is extended, will Bassett be prepared to hang around and play second fiddle for 3 more years?
Hmmm, maybe they're also thinking of promoting Nicks or Voss if Hinkley leaves. I've changed my mind, extend Kenny.

I'm not sure that Kochie would have been the one telling Ken to inject youth into the side post the Showdown, because Koch's "the jury is out on that one" regarding youthful team selection post the elimination final.

Maybe. May also be that Ken was late to the party then got carried away with the last 3 wins.

Last edited:
It was the second huge pre-game mistake. Jonas' brain fart was the first.

Never look to conspiracy where simple incompetence explains something well enough.

This is why I need a Bex (you're spot on The Flying Doormat). Either outcome is not good. If it's pure incompetence, * me dead, we're in the process of negotiating an extension for Hinkley with this Gold Coast circus a blatant attempt at trying to weaken the our position. On the other hand, that level of incompetence is untenable for a senior coach imo. Surely it would be enough to stop Gold Coast trying to shake him loose. We have been told there's more to the story behind Trengove's non-selection. It really has to be significant because, * me dead, we handicapped ourselves in a final over it. I'm ok with Trengove leaving, I respect him and highly value his contribution to the club in his time here. He has to do what is right by him. Surely playing a final would not have changed that.

I just need to let this one go. In a frustrating year, this would have to rank somewhere near the top of frustrating and mind boggling pre-game selection decisions.

I love the club. I want to be engaged. I want to buy in. I'm just not finding a way. Kudos to Janus. I want to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back