Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We had pressure from underneath that ensured that the players selected would perform in 2014, because what Ken told the players was 'you don't defend, you don't play'.

But what happened was that as Hinkley became acutely aware that the list wasn't actually good enough, and we started getting rid of depth players and not replenishing them because we were trading for Ryder and Dixon, the players started to realise that he was full of s**t and didn't actually have the balls to drop them if they ****** up. Guys like Colquhoun, Moore, Newton et al weren't great players by any stretch, but at the time their presence forced the players who were good to pick up their socks just through the mere threat of their selection.

It's no surprise that in 2014 and 2017 the Magpies had their best years in the SANFL for awhile. It's all about cause and effect.

That's why the answer to getting players to comply is simple - if you don't like what they are putting out in terms of tackle numbers and pressure, don't give them a second chance. Drop them straight away. They'll learn soon enough not to **** around.

Actually follow through with 'you don't defend, you don't play'.

I thought you had overlooked 2017. I think 2017 was different. I do believe that Chad was the reason the Magpies did well and not just because he was the coach but because Chad didn't tolerate continual skill errors and lack if effort to make every disputed ball a contest. In 2014 I think not only was Hocking competent but KT and the club were hitting the message that they wanted sanfl success and add to that the hype/excitement from a positive Hinkley with the afl side it cultivated a good season.

Your last sentence is interesting. I believe Hinkley tolerates skill errors and efforts with his actions but he's inconsistent as he didn't tolerate it from Eddy.

I thought you had overlooked 2017. I think 2017 was different. I do believe that Chad was the reason the Magpies did well and not just because he was the coach but because Chad didn't tolerate continual skill errors and lack if effort to make every disputed ball a contest. In 2014 I think not only was Hocking competent but KT and the club were hitting the message that they wanted sanfl success and add to that the hype/excitement from a positive Hinkley with the afl side it cultivated a good season.

Your last sentence is interesting. I believe Hinkley tolerates skill errors and efforts with his actions but he's inconsistent as he didn't tolerate it from Eddy.

Eddy didn't have credits in the bank. The reason why the players love Ken is because he's incredibly loyal to them once they've gained his trust.

The Richmond loss is starting to have that Primus loss to GWS feel about it.
Not quite. Primus didn’t go on AFL 360 on the Monday night afterwards. Come Monday and Primus was ... gone.

I realise your inference was more towards the member / supporter feel but ... not yet ... give it a poor performance next up ... then a disaster versus the crow rabble ... ... ... then maybe ...

Not even close.

The only reason why Richardson is asking the members why they didn't renew is because it's 4 rounds into the season and they still aren't jumping on. He asked RussellEbertHandball before the season what his opinion on it was and the reply was that we needed to be 4-0.

We are 2-2 with two close losses, and I guess no one is jumping on. So they want to know why these people are staying away.

Personally, I wouldn't give two flying *s about 11 game members who don't renew. They aren't supporters. The supporters are the people who have paid money and are still suffering through the same unresponsive garbage from a team that cannot handle any form of expectation.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
What he needed to say was "I made it easy for Grimes to take all those marks!"

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eddy didn't have credits in the bank. The reason why the players love Ken is because he's incredibly loyal to them once they've gained his trust.
Hence why everyone is fed up with Ken. If this group has the success of Geelong and Hawthorn and had earnt that trust, no problem, back them in and let them go. This group hasn't, why would they? Near enough is good enough for Hinkley. We all know it now, the body of work is there for all to see, one f!#$ing preliminary final since 2013 is appalling. And I sincerely hope he didn't say on live television we have a good recent record against West Coast.

It's a absolute travesty that after round 1 where the optimism was back, and the excitement, less then 3 weeks later it's back to status quo. I expected ups and downs with playing the youngsters. That's natural in their development. We could live with that, but not reverting to type after 2 games, and going back to the usual well.

What worries me the most if the club ignores it, and it gets worse this year, and results etc don't improve, people won't come back a second time. All that good will and feel good feeling evaporated a long time ago.

You've used the Guardiola/Klopp comparison at times, well fact is we are stuck with the AFL equivalent of Sam Allardyce. A manager who never adjusted his tactics to the modern game, and was to stubborn to change, nor capable.

I had that feeling with this.
Untitled.jpg

Then a month later this happened.
Untitled1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As pissed off and as frustrating as the loss was on Saturday, its not a Primus-GWS loss yet. That game we lost to basically to an U/19 side and the wheels had fallen off after a promising start to the season and as injuries mounted it meant we had no leaders.

Richmond were 2017 premiers, were the best side of 2018 but had a bad PF, started the season flag favourite or 2nd favourite and had to reset themselves after losing Rance in Rd 1 and Riewoldt in Rd 2. they weren't an U/19 side out there on Saturday.

It wasn't a absolute disastrous loss. If it was a loss to a cellar dweller with 8 senior player out then it might be the dam buster that that GWS game was. We are suffering the death by a thousand cuts type losses. I applied the Apollo 13 analogy to might need to happen to our China venture, last week to get things back on track. It might require that type of near death experience, to see the end of Hinkley.

Hinkley is the man in charge but the assistants need to take some responsibility too, but the general consensus here is our new assistants are fantastic but we've plummeted even further this year.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hinkley is the man in charge but the assistants need to take some responsibility too, but the general consensus here is our new assistants are fantastic but we've plummeted even further this year.

They need to be given responsibility by KT and the board. Hinkley is failing so take power away from him.

And the plummet will continue for as long as you let Hinkley off the hook. He is, as you say, the man in charge. So what’s the value in going light on him and giving him a way out?

“This week it plays its first Good Friday match against premier West Coast in Perth — a team it has beaten just once of its past seven encounters since 2015.

Five of those games have been decided by 10 points or less.”

-Andrew Capel

Yes, it’s come to this, that Fertiliser journos quote verifiable stats to the denialists among us.

The temperature is rising around Hinkley... and we think we can’t afford to take action against climate change.

————
The map is not the terrain.

Get the feeling with KH it's similar to the work place, where the boss can't separate from the workers but then leads to him not being the boss either, so that could by why players love him. He cuts them so much slack like Wines doing his thing when the players are back for a preseason, Dixon drag racing his project car while in rehab. All these little things left unchecked promote undisciplined behavior on and off field. Instead of being the boss the players want to play for, he has become the players mate.
He developed a strategy to survive just like most incompetent workers do. Done a fine job in that regard.

Get the feeling with KH it's similar to the work place, where the boss can't separate from the workers but then leads to him not being the boss either, so that could by why players love him. He cuts them so much slack like Wines doing his thing when the players are back for a preseason, Dixon drag racing his project car while in rehab. All these little things left unchecked promote undisciplined behavior on and off field. Instead of being the boss the players want to play for, he has become the players mate.
Woah, post-premiership Choco flashbacks

I said it straight after the game,

He is gone. It's only a matter of time.

These idiots don't have clue why (judging by Matthew's reaction) but boy a rude awakening is coming swiftly

These idiots don't have clue why (judging by Matthew's reaction) but boy a rude awakening is coming swiftly
Hinkley is staying until his contract is up because we can not afford to pay him out. Simple as that.

Even if we had the money, Koch and KT cannot sack Hinkley and also keep their jobs. And they want to be here for the 150th. So nothing will happen until 2021.

I just don't see it.

It's just another page in the epic tome that is failure under Hinkley. I don't see it as any different to a bunch of our other losses, including Brisbane the week before.

I think we need to be spanked for anyone with any power to sit up and take notice. Maybe Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back