Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monty/SchoBro would probably demand a decent bump in salary to compensate I’d imagine, plus another assistant to replace themselves. It’s basically just sacking Ken anyway from a cost perspective.

What's a decent bump? Couple of hundred... to get the chance to be an AFL head coach? Surely they'd jump at the opportunity? A raw first year coach doesn't command top dollar. Junior Assistants are a dime a dozen. I'm sure we could do it.

Someone asked before, but then it went off in a soft cap we can't afford it direction/discussion. Can we simply not allow Hinkley to coach? I mean keep paying him, but just not let him anywhere near the joint. Again I'm not talking about sacking him, I'm not talking about anybody new to replace him. Just simply not let him coach. Let one of the assistants take the reins completely (Monty possibly as he has the most experience at this level, or Schoey although still very raw at AFL level). Just reshuffle the assistants.

To me this seems like a way we could **** off Ken without destroying our soft cap. Could this happen?

Depends if you think his main issue is coaching on game day or if it's his team selections and failure to uphold standards.

If it's the latter then banning him from coaching matches isn't going to have much effect, especially when you consider he's supposed to be delegating now more than ever.

Not sure you'd be able to ban him from Aberton though, that seems pretty extreme.

Depends if you think his main issue is coaching on game day or if it's his team selections and failure to uphold standards.

If it's the latter then banning him from coaching matches isn't going to have much effect, especially when you consider he's supposed to be delegating now more than ever.

Not sure you'd be able to ban him from Aberton though, that seems pretty extreme.

Option 2 feeds into Option 1.

I’d rather take selection out of his hands first and see how that goes.

Someone asked before, but then it went off in a soft cap we can't afford it direction/discussion. Can we simply not allow Hinkley to coach? I mean keep paying him, but just not let him anywhere near the joint. Again I'm not talking about sacking him, I'm not talking about anybody new to replace him. Just simply not let him coach. Let one of the assistants take the reins completely (Monty possibly as he has the most experience at this level, or Schoey although still very raw at AFL level). Just reshuffle the assistants.

To me this seems like a way we could **** off Ken without destroying our soft cap. Could this happen?

There is definite merit in this suggestion, but even if it is legal to do it under the AFL's rules, I can't see a Koch lead hierarchy having the comic cuts to make it happen, because that would be an admission they got it wrong in the first place.

When Ken was first appointed, a lot was made about how he was the first non Port Adelaide person to coach the club. I never thought I'd say this, but I wonder if it's not time to go back to appointing successful Port Adelaide people to key posts within the football club. Not breakfast TV hosts, Norwood champions, ex state cricketers and back pocket scrubbers from Geelong - Port Adelaide premiership footballers.
Schofield is the man. He's a Port premiership player as we all know, and he's been successful at Subiaco in fact he created a dynasty there through all 3 grades. We have to appoint him as the next senior coach, before someone else snaps him up. He's my pick and I'm sure I'm not alone with that thought.

Give Schofield a blank canvas, a fresh start with our list and let him go to work.

You don't have to be clever to emotionally manipulate people. Two year olds are the best in the land at doing that and they are nowhere near fully functioning people at two.

It wasn't a diabolically cunning plan to say either you reinstate me or i am off to the Gold Coast. You give me what i want or i am not going to play with you anymore. It doesn't take much to issue hollow threats. It can still mean he is dull-witted.
I still find it hard to believe that he would sacrifice all of his reputation, dignity and public reception just to sabotage the club for his own benefit. He's a coach that's trying and failing, he might not be a huge Port sympathizer, but he's the coach, he still needs to try and accomplish something. He might not succeed in doing so, but I'm not buying this ballshit that he's purposely terminating the club.

I still find it hard to believe that he would sacrifice all of his reputation, dignity and public reception just to sabotage the club for his own benefit. He's a coach that's trying and failing, he might not be a huge Port sympathizer, but he's the coach, he still needs to try and accomplish something. He might not succeed in doing so, but I'm not buying this ballshit that he's purposely terminating the club.
I agree that he is not purposely sabotaging the club but my point was he was getting the best deal for himself and he is also not that cluey

What's a decent bump? Couple of hundred... to get the chance to be an AFL head coach? Surely they'd jump at the opportunity? A raw first year coach doesn't command top dollar. Junior Assistants are a dime a dozen. I'm sure we could do it.

I dunno it depends on what they’re currently on too but it would still have to be competitive with what a first time head coach receives. Say it’s $300K per annum extra, that’s an additional $1M over the course of three years plus the cost of replacing themselves with a line coach. Say you get someone for $200K per year so $600K for three to take care of those duties. So all up it’s an extra $1.5M and that’s being pretty tight about it I reckon. Is that doable in our current situation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The i have lost faith thread is down for some reason at the moment, but no matter. I think that the majority of footy followers are relatively fair minded and fairness we like to think is sort of a characteristic of the aussie way.

When you look at the top posters of the thread mentioned the numbers are staggering when correlated to the number of unfair negative comments. This is not a discussion it is just a blatant calculated effort to bully a certain view above all others. We all probably at some stage repeat ourselves a bit, but this is much more than that. As one of the mods if i recall correctly said it is almost some are wishing for us to loose so to assert their viewpoints.

The other aspect of this thread is that many of the comments are nasty, malicious, put downs. I have been responsible for put downs which i appologise to all concerned. Football supporting can be v emotional at times but this thread has reached an ugly vendetta hanging sort of tone.

So things can remain as is (my problem alone)
The thread can be closed by the mods unlikely
People who think as above can stop posting on the thread and shrink the posts to those who have a negative agenda above all else and or express their concern on this thread if it applies

Good point Thundercloud. The club is ticking along fantastically, as a financial member I couldn't be more satisfied with the returns I'm seeing from my investment, and as a supporter I'm extremely excited seeing a few young kids run around out there amongst all the oldies who are about to retire.

It's exciting to be so cutting edge, forgetting traditions and focusing on forging a new path and creating a completely new Port Adelaide. Our drive to be competitive every year, avoiding bottoming out, and just aiming to make the finals every year is a thrilling prospect that fills me with high hopes that we're really aiming high.

It's a fantastic position we find ourselves in really when you think about it. I mean we now haven't won a flag in 14 years, so our time must be coming, and definitely coming with Ken. Ken has proven the ability to take us to finals regularly and has an outstanding record of developing players, getting the best out of them and importantly instilling the belief and confidence in them that seems to just will us over the line in the close ones.

On top of all that, we're also supremely exciting to watch. I sat next to 40k supporters last week that were so completely on the edge of their seat and excited that they had to cross their arms and stay quiet for the whole game to control themselves. I mean all the noise when we make mistakes is annoying an not positive, but it is exciting to see such a cutting edge game plan of possession footy make us so dangerous and such a high scoring team.

I look forward to continuing to be nothing but supportive of our position as a club, because we are in such a good spot it's truly hard to find any negatives. After all as a supporter my role is to just support those in charge and not have an opinion of my own. The supporters shouldn't be demanding excellence, they should understand that everyone inside the club is working really hard, and trying their best, so we should be happy about that and support them. Maybe we can even arrange some gold stars to give them for their good job cause in reality it's a great time to be a Port supporter, it's a period of change as we accept our place as one of the smaller clubs of the AFL and all that comes with it. I mean we can't expect to win the flag every year, so 1 flag in nearly 30 years, and the longest premiership drought in SANFL and AFL history are things we have to just get used to, because we're trying hard and one day our day will come....

Is that how it's done?

Last edited:
I agree that he is not purposely sabotaging the club but my point was he was getting the best deal for himself and he is also not that cluey
It's still hard to tell whether the contract was signed out of Hinkley's high demand or Koch's desperation, however, Koch spoke about his faith in Hinkley, and refused to take responsibility for his decision to re-sign him.

And I'd just written a big long post for that thread TeeKray........

Good point Thundercloud. The club is ticking along fantastically, as a financial member I couldn't be more satisfied with the returns I'm seeing from my investment, and as a supporter I'm extremely excited seeing a few young kids run around out there amongst all the oldies who are about to retire.

It's exciting to be so cutting edge, forgetting traditions and focusing on forging a new path and creating a completely new Port Adelaide. Our drive to be competitive every year, avoiding bottoming out, and just aiming to make the finals every year is a thrilling prospect that fills me with high hopes that we're really aiming high.

It's a fantastic position we find ourselves in really when you think about it. I mean we now haven't won a flag in 14 years, so our time must be coming, and definitely coming with Ken. Ken has proven the ability to take us to finals regularly and has an outstanding record of developing players, getting the best out of them and importantly instilling the belief and confidence in them that seems to just will us over the line in the close ones.

On top of all that, we're also supremely exciting to watch. I sat next to 40k supporters last week that were so completely on the edge of their seat and excited that they had to cross their arms and stay quiet for the whole game to control themselves. I mean all the noise when we make mistakes is annoying an not positive, but it is exciting to see such a cutting edge game plan of possession footy make us so dangerous and such a high scoring team.

I look forward to continuing to be nothing but supportive of our position as a club, because we are in such a good spot it's truly hard to find any negatives. After all as a supporter my role is to just support those in charge and not have an opinion of my own. The supporters shouldn't be demanding excellence, they should understand that everyone inside the club is working really hard, and trying their best, so we should be happy about that and support them. Maybe we can even arrange some gold stars to give them for their good job cause in reality it's a great time to be a Port supporter, it's a period of change as we accept our place as one of the smaller clubs of the AFL and all that comes with it. I mean we can't expect to win the flag every year, so 1 flag in nearly 30 years, and the longest premiership drought in SANFL and AFL history are things we have to just get used to, because we're trying hard and one day our day will come....

Is that how it's done?

How many pages did Lyon, Richardson, Bolton, Pyke, Hardwick and Buckley get?
Who gives a rat's toss bag? I don't recall any of them being a senior coach at Ports.

If you are so interested in other team's boards why don't you go and read them instead of trolling on this board?

[IMG='width:219px;']https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Iy1lMICwr2U/hqdefault.jpg[/IMG] [IMG='width:246px;']http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Brandon+Ellis+Port+Adelaide+v+Richmond+1st+A9JX9qNsykgl.jpg[/IMG]

It’s been over 4 years, and I can still smell the fresh paint on Adelaide Oval. China had never been used. The seats had never been sat in. Ken Hinkley was called the coach of dreams, and he was. He really was.

[IMG='width:219px;']https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Iy1lMICwr2U/hqdefault.jpg[/IMG] [IMG='width:246px;']http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Brandon+Ellis+Port+Adelaide+v+Richmond+1st+A9JX9qNsykgl.jpg[/IMG]

It’s been over 4 years, and I can still smell the fresh paint on Adelaide Oval. China had never been used. The seats had never been sat in. Ken Hinkley was called the coach of dreams, and he was. He really was.
He was good till round 15 2014

Titanic breaks into two_screenshot.jpg 20190416_154627.png

Last edited:

Back on page 172 of this thread, August 12th last year, after another loss to WCE and McGovern did a number on us again, this time in a different way, I cracked the shits and I wrote that the best way to get rid of Ken and not pay him out for 3 years is that the board bans him from selection committee when we play West Coast, because he doesn't have the brain power to handle McGovern, WCE and Simpson. I said that should piss him off enough to grab Donna and the kids and walk.

It would require balls of steel from Koch, KT and Chris Davies to do that because Hinkley would run to his media mates and they would launch a blitzkrieg of negativity at us, so it ain't going to happen unless a few people get a good hit to the head, and forget how weak they are under pressure.

I dont hate ken hinkley the problem is he is doing a job that he is not entirely suited to and it will show up in the results he is producing. Ideally what should happen is Ken acknowledges this to the club inturn he should take on a role at PA that suits him as he does have some good credentials in other areas of the game, pay him out with the contracted money he is on over a longer period of time in this new role and elevate J Schofield to the senior position. Nothing to lose here and it would be a great opportunity to mix things up in a constructive way instead of seeing this club flushed down the sewer.

I dont hate ken hinkley the problem is he is doing a job that he is not entirely suited to and it will show up in the results he is producing. Ideally what should happen is Ken acknowledges this to the club inturn he should take on a role at PA that suits him as he does have some good credentials in other areas of the game, pay him out with the contracted money he is on over a longer period of time in this new role and elevate J Schofield to the senior position. Nothing to lose here and it would be a great opportunity to mix things up in a constructive way instead of seeing this club flushed down the sewer.
His contract does not restrict him to the role of senior coach, but the only way he changes role is by his own choice, which I'm not sure has ever happened with an AFL club, but I feel if the backlash continues to grow he will notice and hopefully do what's best for the club. This would be my desired outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back