Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Again this like rinse and repeat. We played the bottom side at home tonight and won because North ran out of time.
What is Hinkley's plan, bomb it long to Sam gray. We are very average really, if that were a capable side like Geelong or Collingwood tonight, we would have gone down by 6 goals.
We said the same thing about West Coast, didn't we? I think Ken's primary focus right now is to stick to the style we have or as he likes to call it "The Port Adelaide brand of football" Sam was used effectively bar a few poor kicks to him within the 50 when he was used as a target, but he kicked four goals!
All we need to do is clean up our football, we already have the capacity and the aggression we need.

We said the same thing about West Coast, didn't we? I think Ken's primary focus right now is to stick to the style we have or as he likes to call it "The Port Adelaide brand of football" Sam was used effectively bar a few poor kicks to him within the 50 when he was used as a target, but he kicked four goals!
All we need to do is clean up our football, we already have the capacity and the aggression we need.
The game against WC, people think we had shank low kicks into the forward line on purpose and that was a plan, we are just poor disposers of the football and that is the way we kick, or like tonight bomb it long, they are not game plans, that is what under 9s do.
My point being, yes you are right about cleaning it up but we have not improved in this area under Ken, in fact we are worse ball users than we were in 2014.

Did you see a plan coming out of our back line tonight, we just kicked it long, have a look at Collingwood, how they move the ball with purpose and skill, like it has been instilled in them at training, then look at how Port do it. Most of our ball movement is just push it forward any way you can and we end up some where in a forward pocket. Did you see us use smooth controlled possession footy and move through the center corridore, kicking it to a leading forward.
When north did score they made look a lot easier than Port.

Last edited:

... And how do our senior players still miss straight forward set shots??
That's the only one of the questions you asked that is valid. North had less opportunities but kicked 5 straight. We kicked something like 2G 6B. We don't miss it goes back to the centre, we do miss it's in their control. We didn't bomb it long to be mopped up like v Richmond, we didn't fail to get our hands on it late like Brisbane. We just potted points. Ken addressed it at the post-match i.e. the farcical idea that our players aren't coached in goal kicking or don't practice it.

My only disappointment with Ken tonight was that he didn’t show his disappointment more. That it looks - at least publicly - that he was happy with that performance.

Tonight our players were to blame for lairising or not being able to finish cleanly in front of goal. Ken’s blame is that he hasn’t been able to get them to improve this in the last six years.

We are a hopelessly mediocre team under this man.

12-10, 7th
14-8, 5th
12-10, 9th
10-12, 10th
14-8, 5th
12-10, 10th

On track for another 10-14 win, 5th-10th placed finish. And somehow this will be spun as a positive. Road to nowhere.

and there in lie so many problems.
I would sack him on the spot.
Then I would explore Shanghai until I found some place that would pay big money for him to be a human door stop.
Then I would sell tickets and split the profit.
But that’s just me.

I feel our mistakes tonight can be improved upon throughout the course of the season, but it won't happen in the span of a week, i feel it will be a process that if done correctly will be achieved by the bye, and allow us to finish up stronger then last year, but things need to go to plan!
Been going on for years

we have sixteen more games to prove that we can hit the scoreboard efficiently. leading by 40 points tonight only to end up at 16 by the end was all due to our poor efficiency on the scoreboard. Basset has some work to do, but i feel he can turn things around provided it's his first season in the role, and i feel given enough time we'll have a forward line on par with 2014 again.
Both leading by 41 AND ending up at 16 were due poor efficiency. We had two long scoring streaks in the game: Q2/Q3, 2.6:18; and Q3/Q4, 3.3:21. After the 2nd streak, our lead was 41 points. Then, we kicked 5 behinds against their five goals.

However, that first streak would have sealed the game for good at HT.

We are a hopelessly mediocre team under this man.

12-10, 7th
14-8, 5th
12-10, 9th
10-12, 10th
14-8, 5th
12-10, 10th

On track for another 10-14 win, 5th-10th placed finish. And somehow this will be spun as a positive. Road to nowhere.

So true, and it's starting to do my head in.

The man has no real intention of doing anything other than keeping everything ok. As long as it's not real bad it's all good and that has never been the Port Adelaide way.

A good coach, with high standards and expectations, would have been very concerned by large portions of the game, but not Ken. Always trying to lower expectations and remove any sort of pressure by talking up what really wasn't there at all.

North Melbourne were outright horrible and we were marginally better at the end.

I'm not so sure we have a Premiership squad, but we should be better than what we showed last night. We should have been better against Brisbane, Carlton and Richmond too. He - like the players - are so content with playing that 1 real good game every month or so, just keeping their heads above water without really committing to anything that might cause any sort of grief or angst to anyone at all.

Just as the record you posted above clearly illustrates, he's average and he allows the players to be that way for the most part too.

I really, really dislike the level of acceptance he has allowed to become the norm now.

It doesn't matter who we recruit, or draft, we won't go anywhere at all with this man leading the way and setting the standards required. He mightn't be a loser but he definitely hasn't got a winners attitude and that spreads - as his record clearly demonstrates.

Last edited:
My only disappointment with Ken tonight was that he didn’t show his disappointment more. That it looks - at least publicly - that he was happy with that performance.

Tonight our players were to blame for lairising or not being able to finish cleanly in front of goal. Ken’s blame is that he hasn’t been able to get them to improve this in the last six years.
This clown calls the win 'significant'. Bottom of the table, percentage of around 50, lose their best mid before the game and we are playing on our home deck. Get rid of this bozo.

At least we did the hard work required to seal the game. Once your seven goals down in a game then you've basically written yourself off, and keep in mind this margin was reached in the duress of the last quarter. I think that Jonas's absence may have resulted in a lack of organisation in the back line, but I don't think any of our defenders played bad at the end of the day. Overall it was a fine win, with a disappointing note to go out on, but I'd rather smash the challenging teams as we did with West Coast then smash the easy teams at home, once again it's something we have to wait for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not many people thought we would be
4-2....Kennef post game presser.
And so it begins...

**** off Ken with your shitball loser standards.

Deckchair discourse. He’s just happy chillin’ in the comfort zone.

What needed to be said was something along the lines of “I would’ve taken 4-2 at the start of the year but the way things have panned out we probably should be 5-1 or even 6-0.”

Acknowledges mistakes/room for improvement and shows a desire to be the pacesetter. We get neither of these things from Ken and it really cuts against the grain of our club imo.

The game against WC, people think we had shank low kicks into the forward line on purpose and that was a plan, we are just poor disposers of the football and that is the way we kick, or like tonight bomb it long, they are not game plans, that is what under 9s do.
My point being, yes you are right about cleaning it up but we have not improved in this area under Ken, in fact we are worse ball users than we were in 2014.
I don't think inefficient football on accident would've won us a game against the reigning premiers by 42 points!

Did you see a plan coming out of our back line tonight, we just kicked it long, have a look at Collingwood, how they move the ball with purpose and skill, like it has been instilled in them at training, then look at how Port do it. Most of our ball movement is just push it forward any way you can and we end up some where in a forward pocket. Did you see us use smooth controlled possession footy and move through the center corridore, kicking it to a leading forward.
When north did score they made look a lot easier than Port.
Jonas was absent, which in turn I feel made our defence lacklustre of any leadership, which in turn may have resulted in a lack of organisation.

Hinkley: It was a significant performance
“When you get through and you win - backing up after the Perth game as well, it was a significant performance,” Hinkley said at his post-match press conference.

“We sit here today 4-2 - I’m not sure there would be many people saying that at the start of the year."
FFS.

Jonas was absent, which in turn I feel made our defence lacklustre of any leadership, which in turn may have resulted in a lack of organisation.
Sides that are well drilled at training have a set method, we don't, we still kick long to the boundary line. It's all about possession in the back half to create forward movement. Half of the time we just bomb it long.

Sides that are well drilled at training have a set method, we don't, we still kick long to the boundary line. It's all about possession in the back half to create forward movement. Half of the time we just bomb it long.
But on most of those occasions, we got the ball moving anyway. We always managed to create opportunities for ourselves, we just didn't finish it off with the scoring accuracy we needed. There was plenty more to our plan last night over just bombing it forward.

Deckchair discourse. He’s just happy chillin’ in the comfort zone.

What needed to be said was something along the lines of “I would’ve taken 4-2 at the start of the year but the way things have panned out we probably should be 5-1 or even 6-0.”

Acknowledges mistakes/room for improvement and shows a desire to be the pacesetter. We get neither of these things from Ken and it really cuts against the grain of our club imo.
Spot on..
The grin on his face after narrowly beating the spooners at home was sickening. Show something, he's on auto pilot.

When I heard about kicking low being a plan I wanted to believe it. In reality most of the kicks were just s**t mongrel punts with a wet footy.

WHEN WE WERE 11-4 LAST YEAR NOBODY WAS SAYING WE'D BE 4-2 THIS YEAR
Mate in fairness injury DESTROYED us in the back half of the year and our only ruckman was lame

Mate in fairness injury DESTROYED us in the back half of the year and our only ruckman was lame

Tongue in cheek mate. The deliberate lowering of expectations is the issue. Being 4-2 is good but it's hardly earth shattering - and we've been here before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back