Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting comments attributed to Monty re the poor showdown effort, which could be interpreted as at least veiled criticisms of the game plan, and/or selection policy.

He is the one who in my opinion is the most likely of the other assistant coaches to call Hinkley, Voss and Bassett out on their BS, but if he doesn't get support I can see him doing a Josh Francou style, this isn't for me so see you later, at the end of the season.

Interesting comments attributed to Monty re the poor showdown effort, which could be interpreted as at least veiled criticisms of the game plan, and/or selection policy.

He is the one who in my opinion is the most likely of the other assistant coaches to call Hinkley, Voss and Bassett out on their BS, but if he doesn't get support I can see him doing a Josh Francou style, this isn't for me so see you later, at the end of the season.
In recent days, I've interpreted comments from both Montgomery and Schofield as "diplomatic" criticisms of game plan and selection.

Ken's
It was the passing of Peter Hubbard in late 2016 that had a significant effect on Hinkley.
Quoted in 2017, "that was when I realized there was more to life than football"
Quoted in 2017 "it might be a great game with 1500 media covering it and a game we all love, but its a game". " football feels like the real life and death sometimes, but it's not".

This is all well and good and a person can certainly understand the pain associated with such an event. The comments made however, would more likely be attributed to a person who resigned from their senior coaching position because to them there are more important things to do. Not from a person who remained as head coach - and who received a massive salary year in year out. If any person questions Ken's intensity or passion for the head coaching position that demands the same from all coaches (hence the massive salaries paid to them), here is your answer.

The article is titled "life teaches Port Adelaide coach ken Hinkley a brutal lesson". By Caroline Wilson dated 31 may 2017.

If ken was true to himself, the players, to the club, he would have either left before the start of 2017 season or waited until end 2018 to respectfully finish out the contract. But not by re-signing before the current contract had expired, knowing what constant pressure, dedication and passion is required of that position. Why would he do that if " its only a game thats not that important. And this is knowing the job had a massive salary paid each year. Oh, yeah, right. I think I've worked out the why 😏.

Where have I heard that before ?!!!
Fair dinkum everything he says it bs.

Ken's
Fair dinkum everything he says it bs.

I suspect the vast majority of people would have lost someone close to them by about their mid 20's, and even though the Walsh situation was horrible, if that loss, plus that of his mate affected kern that badly he should have never signed up to another 3 years in such a high pressure industry as the AFL.

“Clearly with the amount of re-entry ball we had on the weekend, when you walk away with very little to show for it, we need to make some changes. Now whether that’s selection or whether that’s the precision with which that ball goes in or the fight in front of it, there’s so many factors to it...but the facts of the matter are we made nothing out of too many opportunities, and really, that’s where the game was played for us and that’s where we were short.”

On Frampton:

“We play a two ruck structure at the moment which does prevent us getting too much taller. Bill’s an equal part forward, equal part ruck. Sometimes it’s as much to do with what’s in front of him and what we are playing rather than just his form alone. He’ll be in consideration, he was an emergency on the weekend so he’ll be in the conversation again this week.”

On delivery inside 50 to a target hurting Port:

“It’s probably the one part of the game that doesn’t get enough credit and doesn’t carry enough weight in the footy community...the last touch and the polish on that and I’ve already mentioned our re-entry stuff came up short and was a big factor in the game, but if you go to the other end...I know their defenders got a lot of credit for how good they were in the game, but if you look at their forwards and the opportunities they took and how clean they are when they needed to be, that was a major factor in getting them over the line as well. We lacked a little bit of that. We lacked the polish on the kick, we probably weren’t as up for the fight in front of it, sometimes we lost shape, so yeah it’s super important and we didn’t get it right on the weekend.”

“Without Gray and Ebert for starters, and you take a look at what’s down there in terms of development (Marshall, Rozee, Johnson, Farrell), you can understand some of that shortfall.”

“Not up for the fight, more up for the fight in front of it. So that’s the look, the positioning, the numbers, it might be being out-positioned. The fight...needed to be better designed to be honest.”

This is more a criticism of Bassett and the fact that our forwards were always moving to the same positions instead of stretching out the field and giving better looks to the midfield. Of course, it’s hard when the opposition putting 2 extra players back in defence all the time to plug up holes...which is where Dixon would make a big difference because he’d take at least one of the extra defenders, so someone would be free.

When giving it some thought, I think Ken is well aware that he has failed since 2014 is and trying to have a mini rebuild while winning enough games to make the eight.
Butters and Duursma have been great but it makes me wonder why he would play two kids ahead of players like Frampton, Farrell, Atley. Unless they are a proven talent like Rozee, I find it odd that Ken threw them straight in the deep end along with Rozee and Drew.
It's almost like he's trying to fool the fans and use the new boys as an excuse, how many times have we heard the media and Ken calling us a young side. Unfortunately for Ken it has backfired and the new boys have done extremely well and he has know where to hide.

Because the crows aren't scared of being ruthless. PAFC is about PR spin and we don't criticise the coach at all cost, well 7 years on and the deflection is getting harder to do. And the excuses aren't working
The crows aren’t ruthless they are a a bunch of pussies. Too scared to do, any heavy lifting and leaving it all up to us. Plus their piss poor culture which cause them to continually lose players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koch and Thomas and Hinkley.[/QUOTE

Koch and Thomas and Hinkley and Voss and Bassett.
Interesting : Koch lives interstate and all the others have non Port backgrounds.

The Kochmeister's Port background isn't particularly strong either, his old man played a handful of magoo's games about 60 years ago, and moved to Sydney when DK was only about 4 years old.

The Kochmeister's Port background isn't particularly strong either, his old man played a handful of magoo's games about 60 years ago, and moved to Sydney when DK was only about 4 years old.
Koch was 14 in 1970 when the old man transferred to Sydney. That's why he talks about wearing #17, Motley's number on his jumper when he was a kid. The old man was close to Lew Roberts and others from that pre Fos era.

He saw enough Port - grand finals wins and losses, to get them into his blood. The real issue is that between 1971 and 1996, how many games did he see each year to keep up that connection strong when Port weren't on a national stage or TV coverage. He talks about whilst still at school coming back during school holidays to stay with the grandparents and watching games then.

He played basketball as a teenager in Sydney as there wasn't footy comps he could easily play in. He and the old man got involved with the Swans once they moved up there helping them out on the marketing side. He was, if not an inaugural shareholder, then an early shareholder in the Sydney Kings.

In 1997 I went and watched the Kings play the Brisbane Bullets as my Port mate who also lived in Sydney had played basketball in Adelaide with Brisbane's then coach David Ingham and we chatted to him after the game.

I knew who Koch was back then as he was the business journo on Sky News and sometimes appeared on Ch 7 Sydney news doing business stories. During the many breaks you get in basketball, I would see him running around between the small corporate areas talking to the people in there and schmoozing. I thought he must be working for the Kings in their corporate/marketing area. I didn't know back then he was a Kings shareholder or a Port man.

Koch likes the razzle dazzle of basketball, the media and the markets. Whilst he talks about investing for the long term work hard, build savings etc in his finance stuff ( that's why we get the stability at Port and not much change line) but he loves the short term sugar hits you get in the media and the markets. He vacillates between these 2 contrasting styles.

He wants to be seen as the ruthless markets guy and the nice ordinary fluffy nerdy TV dad that doesn't upset too many people and keeps the ratings high and putting the positive spin on stuff. This dichotomy is what is hurting the club under his tenure.

I like the fact I had to look him up and his career was so non-descript that his wikipedia page hasn't been updated and says he is still a current Port Adelaide player

He is, except he's now wearing Aidyn Johnson as a skinsuit.

Koch was 14 in 1970 when the old man transferred to Sydney. That's why he talks about wearing #17, Motley's number on his jumper when he was a kid. The old man was close to Lew Roberts and others from that pre Fos era.

He saw enough Port - grand finals wins and losses, to get them into his blood. The real issue is that between 1971 and 1996, how many games did he see each year to keep up that connection strong when Port weren't on a national stage or TV coverage. He talks about whilst still at school coming back during school holidays to stay with the grandparents and watching games then.

He played basketball as a teenager in Sydney as there wasn't footy comps he could easily play in. He and the old man got involved with the Swans once they moved up there helping them out on the marketing side. He was, if not an inaugural shareholder, then an early shareholder in the Sydney Kings.

In 1997 I went and watched the Kings play the Brisbane Bullets as my Port mate who also lived in Sydney had played basketball in Adelaide with Brisbane's then coach David Ingham and we chatted to him after the game.

I knew who Koch was back then as he was the business journo on Sky News and sometimes appeared on Ch 7 Sydney news doing business stories. During the many breaks you get in basketball, I would see him running around between the small corporate areas talking to the people in there and schmoozing. I thought he must be working for the Kings in their corporate/marketing area. I didn't know back then he was a Kings shareholder or a Port man.

Koch likes the razzle dazzle of basketball, the media and the markets. Whilst he talks about investing for the long term work hard, build savings etc in his finance stuff ( that's why we get the stability at Port and not much change line) but he loves the short term sugar hits you get in the media and the markets. He vacillates between these 2 contrasting styles.

He wants to be seen as the ruthless markets guy and the nice ordinary fluffy nerdy TV dad that doesn't upset too many people and keeps the ratings high and putting the positive spin on stuff. This dichotomy is what is hurting the club under his tenure.

I'm surprised he was that old, as somewhere in the back of my mind I had a recollection of reading, or hearing somewhere that his family moved to Sydney before he went to school, but your the facts man REH so no doubt you would know. ;)

I'm surprised he was that old, as somewhere in the back of my mind I had a recollection of reading, or hearing somewhere that his family moved to Sydney before he went to school, but your the facts man REH so no doubt you would know. ;)
Koch was born March 1956, the Year of the Monkey.

He is a Fire Monkey. Here is a typical horoscope.

“Those born between February 12, 1956 and January 30, 1957 are members of the Fire Monkey Chinese Zodiac sign. The MONKEYS are mischievous, vain, and clever. Their most prized traits are originality, creativity, and education. People adore Monkeys for their wit, high intelligence, and interest in world affairs. Older and wiser Monkeys are able to channel their energetic and rich imaginations into the solving of complex problems. Monkeys people can succeed in professions such as business, trade, law, stocks, industry and politics.”

“The influence of the Fire Element makes the Fire Monkey the most passionate and energetic of the Monkey types. Full of confidence, the Fire Monkey is also the most competitive member of its sign. While other signs may take to the sidelines, the Fire Monkey is all about action and initiative. These qualities fit nicely with the Fire Monkey’s adventurous and risk-taking nature. The Fire Monkey is self-interested above all and as a result, loves to be the center of attention.

Highly ambitious, the Fire Monkey has many potential career opportunities to explore. With a focus on material gain, the Fire Monkey could do well in sales, advertising, marketing or the financial sector. On the other hand, with focus, the Fire Monkey can do well in fields such as law and medicine, where their sharp minds can shine. Members of the Fire Monkey sign have been proven to find success taking their passion to the big screen. This can be seen in the careers of Tom Hanks and Carrie Fisher, who were both born in 1956 (as was David Kochie Koch, alias Chairman Moi).”

seems Kenny is a Fire Horse:

"These Horses are bright and energetic. As natural leaders, they are the trendsetters. With their skills and support from friends, they are able to solve any problem. However, they sometimes don’t take criticism well."

come on Kenny, your life is like an Anime, just listen to your friends and you can achieve anything!!!111

seems Kenny is a Fire Horse:

"These Horses are bright and energetic. As natural leaders, they are the trendsetters. With their skills and support from friends, they are able to solve any problem. However, they sometimes don’t take criticism well."

come on Kenny, your life is like an Anime, just listen to your friends and you can achieve anything!!!111
A Fire Horse can be either a disaster for themselves and everyone around them, or just the opposite, no in between.

Someone wrote a book about it.

1966 - The last Year of the Fire Horse, three disasters happened:

1. The Cultural Revolution broke out in China.
2. Sturt beat Port Adelaide in the Grand Final to start a run of five flags in a row.
3. Ken Hinkley was born.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back