Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 3

I remember when we wanted Mark Williams to be a ten year coach, then we ended up losing everything and handing the empty plate to Primus.
At least we got a premiership out of the deal, which was obviously what mattered most, but instead of rebuilding post premiership we tried to use up everything we had and lost all of it as a result, bar a few players.

Did Koch never consider this when plotting his plan?

Why is “10-year coach” even a thing to aspire to?

You’ve either got the right coach for the goals you’re aspiring to or you don’t.

The issue at hand is, it seems as if the goals of the supporter base (mediocrity-lovers and their loserboners excepted) don’t mesh with the goal$ of the suits and their LiTtLe cLuB™ mantra.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks

You’ve either got the right coach for the goals you’re aspiring to or you don’t.

The issue at hand is, it seems as if the goals of the supporter base (mediocrity-lovers and their loserboners excepted) don’t mesh with the goal$ of the suits and their LiTtLe cLuB™ mantra.

There's something to be said for stability. Port was built on having some successful people in the same positions for a long period of time. You can't leave the successful part out though.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it’s a tough balance. Not many coaches are going to be successful within 4-5 years, so you don’t want to sack everyone who doesn’t win a premiership in that time. On the other hand you don’t want a 10 year coach that hasn’t achieved anything either.

The coach has to have a clear plan of how to get there from the start though, but that’s not something supporters are usually privy to I think.

Unless coaching and strategy is a lot simpler than it looks, and coaches actually do divulge their entire strategy in press conferences. Which is possible I suppose.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That has nothing to do with your original assertion about the head coach's influence on the fitness program and my subsequent question.

You are saying that Hinkley may want a game plan based on speed and outside run but has no control over the fitness program that is just as likely to deliver a squad of bulked up players who couldn't run out of sight on a dark night.

Besides, fitness program is not skills training so stop moving the goal posts.

This person has the tendency to shift the goal posts, debate against your view but 'like' what you've said, resulting in a recursive debate.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The issue at hand is, it seems as if the goals of the supporter base (mediocrity-lovers and their loserboners excepted) don’t mesh with the goal$ of the suits and their LiTtLe cLuB mantra.
I cant decide if it's fun or depressing to watch these newbies come in with hope and positivity only to slowly crash into reality as the board shares with them the facts.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's something to be said for stability. Port was built on having some successful people in the same positions for a long period of time. You can't leave the successful part out though.
Well said.

We used to laugh at the WWT type clubs who used to change their coach and their jumper as often as we changed our underwear.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

If he makes it his list of achievements will likely be as follows...

1. 2013 AFLCA Coach of the Year
2. Didn’t get fired for 10 years

So yeah, “Why?” is the right question standing.

Don't forget that he took us to a Showdown win in 2018.

History says if you don't win a premiership after about 7-8 years you won't/won't get the chance to achieve that goal. It's year 7, time is ticking for old mate.
We haven't even come close since 2015 with the core group we've had. Now the age bracket of the squad has a massive dip in the middle.

3. Managed not to travel overseas to attend any coaching tutorials for six years.

Coached a team that has led the deepest into a game withot winning in VFL/AFL history (2017 EF).

Coached a team that didn't trail for one solitary second between the siren to sound Q1 and the siren to end Q4 but still managed to lose the game (West Coast at AO, 2018).

Coached a team that has led the deepest into a game without winning in VFL/AFL history (2017 EF).
Coached a team that didn't trail for one solitary second between the siren to sound Q1 and the siren to end Q4 but still managed to lose the game (West Coast at AO, 2018).

This meeting-to-next meeting 100+ point winning margin to defeat switcharoo would have to be some sort of record too:

• 2014 - defeats Brisbane by 113
• 2014 - defeats Carlton by 103
• 2015 - loses to Brisbane by 37
• 2015 - loses to Carlton by 4

I’m sure many teams would have lost once on the turnaround, but to do the double twice?

This meeting-to-next meeting 100+ point winning margin to defeat switcharoo would have to be some sort of record too:

• 2014 - defeats Brisbane by 113
• 2014 - defeats Carlton by 103
• 2015 - loses to Brisbane by 37
• 2015 - loses to Carlton by 4

I’m sure many teams would have lost once on the turnaround, but to do the double twice?
Was curious about this and just googled Melbournes results because they'd been smashed heaps. Can only find 2 turnarounds that involve Melbourne, bad and good.

2004 - Melboune beat Carlton by 105.
Later in 2004 - Carlton beat Melbourne by 31.

2013 - Essendon beat Melbourne by 148.
2014 - Melbourne beat Essendon by 1.

Last edited:
Back