Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 3

Okay. Let me know when that happens.

It’s not going to happen, which is the point - people seem to believe that SANFL performances automatically equate to AFL ones. Player X has a better game than Player Y, so it must mean that Player X should be called up.

But what they fail to realise is that while Player Y’s performance is down and Player X is dominating, Player Y might be playing the better football that would translate to AFL - getting to contests, making good position, keeping width and providing options.

These are things that only the coaching staff would be able to evaluate because only they know what they are expecting players to do in every situation. It’s why the only time I care about selection is when a player who has proven to be soft at the contest gets multiple games without correcting it.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
i have decided to watch the women's Football World Cup.... switched off AFL for now. After 2-3 weeks if Port is still in contention - i 'll switch back on.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I think it’s a tough balance. Not many coaches are going to be successful within 4-5 years, ...

Off the top of my head:

Blight
Choco
Roos
Worsfold
Clarkson
Scott
Longmire
Beveridge

So I think a fair % of recent coaches have achieved a flag within 5 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
It’s not going to happen, which is the point - people seem to believe that SANFL performances automatically equate to AFL ones. Player X has a better game than Player Y, so it must mean that Player X should be called up.

But what they fail to realise is that while Player Y’s performance is down and Player X is dominating, Player Y might be playing the better football that would translate to AFL - getting to contests, making good position, keeping width and providing options.

These are things that only the coaching staff would be able to evaluate because only they know what they are expecting players to do in every situation. It’s why the only time I care about selection is when a player who has proven to be soft at the contest gets multiple games without correcting it.
That sounds like a bullshit hinkley excuse to get johnson back in.

Amarula

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Western suburbs (Melb)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Indomitable Lions

On the other hand, if Player Z is struggling to run out the match in the SANFL, they’re not ready for AFL.
And if Player Q is doing everything asked of them in SANFL but still not getting picked ahead of Players R, S, T & U spudding it up in the AFL, it gets harder to justify.

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I'm hoping we win the next 12 games for the year and this thread doesn't make it to 100 pages.
I can dream too!

Back