Society & Culture I've never been in a fistfight. What's it like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't been in a proper one, and hopefully never will. Too many cowards who prefer the hit from behind.

When I was 18 I went to the Terminus Hotel in Geelong to see a band.On the way out I gave the bouncer a bit of cheek so he planted one on me and dropped me on my arse.
Then I did something stupid,I got back to my feet and told him "Mate, you're the bouncer at this bikie pub and that's the best you've got?Weak as piss."
He saw red and proceeded to give me a thorough beating.

Best thing about 10 years of boxing is that I've rarely had to throw hands when in a scrap as the other clown usually is out of puff 20 seconds into throwing wild haymakers and they realise just how out of their depth they really are.

Getting punched in the head sucks. Fist fights aren't like the movies, with clean strikes and timing. It's a damn free for all!

I grew up in Blacktown, around the time of the Islander influx. Found out early that they are better as friends than enemies, they hit bloody hard, and have heads like granite!

Used to love a stand-up on the paddock, coz you could have a beer with the bloke afterwards! Used to have a fight with this surfie bloke from Wollongong twice a year when we played em. Was good mates with him, we'd have a chat before the game, get stuck into it on the field and find each other eventually, trade some blows, finish the game, have a beer and a laugh! Even hit the town with him in the 'gong one night. Blokes used to look at us like we had two heads - punching each other one minute, best mates after!

Fist fights aren't like the movies, with clean strikes and timing.

No dramatic score behind them either

Or conveniently placed sound effects

And the utter gall of it all is the campaigners don't just stand there facing you with their arms hanging down so as you can knock them out with a single punch... all fair and above board like

No dramatic score behind them either

Or conveniently placed sound effects

And the utter gall of it all is the campaigners don't just stand there facing you with their arms hanging down so as you can knock them out with a single punch... all fair and above board like

Much like Bart and Lisa with their windmill arms innit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can manage to avoid someone starting a fight with you then you've done well. Sometimes it's just the position you find yourself in when you're young and out at a club or pub. It's so dangerous and not worth the risk, you just have to shake your head at what goes on these days.
Have been hit twice. One my fault and luckily only had a fat lip, the other on the star bar party bus in Melbourne some guy king hit me for no reason at all.

Been in a few fist fights in my younger days and few brawls and a pub brawl.I have also been belted up by a group of bouncers once and put in hostipal, for those wonder I was arguing with a mate of the bouncers...didn’t throw a punch or anything.

Nothing good comes out of it , you haven’t missed much.

Mostly you just wake up sore and with more trouble than what it’s worth getting involved.

These days I don’t get involved and I know when to walk away before things escalate.

Exchanged a few punches with a bloke trying to get mony for cigarettes from me by force. Unlucky for him I had a bottle in hand that I broke on his head. Don't remember much off it. Been to the police ofterwards to report it. They were probably pretty annoyed because I was a drunken mess and bleeding all over the place since I cut my hand on that bottle. Only realised at home that I lost my glasses and got a bruised eye. Kept my money in the end but didn't feel much like victory...

The most full on ones I've had were with my brother. Being just over a year apart in age, I think that stuff's bound to happen. The unique feeling is that win or lose, it always felt like my face was on fire afterwards.

There's some pretty standard juvenile schoolboy scraps and the stuff that I'm not especially proud of and I was jumped once when I was doing the hour or so walk home from the local nightclub and a few dropkicks with nothing better to do had a go at me, although because I'd had a skinful I chose the wrong option to bite back at them rather than just walking away.

Nowadays I think that I can read the play pretty effectively and either completely avoid engaging with a potential wildcard who seems to be itching for a blue, or to diffuse their abuse with a sensible, measured response.

For example, walking out of the MCG following the Richmond v Geelong Qualifying Final and getting the usual cretins in your face screaming "F**ing softc*** pussies, straight sets, go Tiges!!!"

Firstly, while it's unpleasant and people like that are about as bad as it gets at the footy, football shouldn't mean that much to anybody that a situation like that results in someone getting assaulted, but it must happen regularly. Secondly, while it's unpleasant, I have no desire to have a rumble next to one of the MCG light towers and end up on a YouTube clip, I just treat his discourse as though it was rational and compelling, responding with something like "Yeah, you guys just tore us apart in the last quarter, you're a huge show for the grand final now, enjoy the ride!"

Where does he go from there? I realised what he wanted and I just refused to give it to him. He'll wander off confused and either find someone else to pick on, or come to his senses about what a knob he is being and pull his head in. Note: this approach can be really effective on Big Footy too.

Side note: I actually love doing this sort of stuff, like pissing on someone's bonfire when they want you to "guess how much" of something and it's obvious that they want you to guess lower or higher than the actual figure, so I go the other way and ridiculously over/undershoot the real number. For example, if they wanted you to guess how much their new car cost and it was $25,000, they're expecting you to stroke their ego by guessing $30,000, but I'll always say like $19,000 or something. They have nowhere to go from there.

******* hate fighting smaller people. As a skinny tall guy when I would box/mma in the same division it would always be against shorter heavier opponents, they'd get in and under my guard and * me up. Preferred fighting above my weight.

Sent from mTalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back