News I've Turned off the Channel 7 Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Boys club w***ers.

I heard the MMM boys going on about how Taylor complained about commentating with Nigel Carmody the other week on a Sunday arvo for 7 because he didn't know who he was.

It's absolutely no shock my most enjoyable commentators are Brenton Speed, Nigel Carmody & Matt Campbell. They are absolute pro's and just call the game rather than talk sensationalist bullshit.

I honestly can't believe Peter Donegan has never been promoted into a main commentating chair by 7, he's far and away the best football commentator in the country. Instead 7 run with the likes of Luke Darcy and Hamish McLaughlin and Fox go with Leigh Montagna and the like? ******* lol.

Brenton Speed, Nigel Carmody, Matt Campbell, Peter Donegan

All amongst those I'm more than happy to call a game of footy. I've thought for a while that Donegan should have taken over Bruce's role when Cometti retired, he's got a great footy knowledge & feel for the game & I think most footy fans are ok with his calling.

Theres no bigger guarantee in footy commentary than this:

If Collingwood are within 5 goals at 3/4 time, Cameron Ling with all of his wisdom will tell the viewers "Collingwood have to take the game on now. Gotta risk losing the game by several goals if they want a chance to win it. No point playing safe."

EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

You forgot the, and when the oppo kick a behind and the Pies or any other team are a number of goals down half way through the last. "They need to take the game on and take some risks by kicking long down the centre corridor, they cannot go out wide any more"...

They’re all annoying in their own right right

Bruce - states the obvious, spends much of the game asking leading rhetorical questions

BT - has become a caricature of himself, always try to one-up his fellow commentators and generally a snide prick

Lingy - has no unique insights of his own, ‘loves the way he goes about it,’ and is always the first to throw his two cents into getting a player off at the MRP

Hame - awkward, tries vigorously to adopt BT’s rugged footy lexicon

As soon as there’s some banal buzzword describing the state of play (last night’s was ‘swarm’) there is an echo chamber of each commentator applying it.

Hard to listen to.

Last edited:
I wish someone would remind the commentators that the players are the stats off the show, not them.

I do wonder if ch7 see us fans as a captive audience and so are trying to draw in more "non traditional" viewers with all of this.

Also there might be a bit of brand building (of the commentators) so they can get people to watch other shows like Gameday.

But yeah, mute the tv and put on some music. It's great.

10 or 15 years Bruce was an excellent game caller since then he has become a caricature of himself. And BT is just an idiot.

Actually I really enjoy Eddie McChins commentary as long as the Pies are not involved.

I reckon they should offer the vision with just the crowd mics mixed in.

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Theres no bigger guarantee in footy commentary than this:

If Collingwood are within 5 goals at 3/4 time, Cameron Ling with all of his wisdom will tell the viewers "Collingwood have to take the game on now. Gotta risk losing the game by several goals if they want a chance to win it. No point playing safe."

EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.
I’m convinced Ling tape recorded it and Channel 7 hits the play button every 3/4 time break.

I think Hamish is auditioning to host little big shots (Seen the adds, don't watch) when they say the
Oz kick interview is coming up I turn off the television turning down the sound is not enough, is it ?
I find his attitude really cringeworthy in those segments. Imagine obtaining the oz kick interview and then getting that treatment. He clearly hates doing it, and the kids aren't too thrilled about it either which defeats the purpose.

BT is mostly fine but he is an innate campaigner as well, I think it is in his contract to pay lip service to several debates in each broadcast, even if he has to create them himself. He has the C7 knack to generate & drive running debates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd pay good money to either have
A) Muted commentary but 'crowd noises' still.
Or
B) Alternative commentaries (ie: radio) in sync with the game.

I'd pay good money to either have
A) Muted commentary but 'crowd noises' still.
Or
B) Alternative commentaries (ie: radio) in sync with the game.

B is easy & what I do every game I watch live (and am doing now watching Hawkes/Lions) - Kayo for video, AFL or SEN apps for audio, pause Kayo for the ~ 10 secs to sync, works great. Cost $25pm.

When I'm by myself I'll mute the commentary and put music on. When I have company, it's fun to spend the game hanging s**t on the commentators. They say so much moronic s**t that it's literally a laugh a minute. A few weeks back I heard BT say "and he breaks out of the McGovern thing...". A tackle you dumb campaigner. A ******* tackle. End your life immediately.

As bad as Channel 7 is fox sports have two worst. Kingy and Dwayne.

Just a s**t era for commentary really

Don’t forget Dermott...

Pretty a guaranteed way to ruin your Sunday arvo with that campaigner.

I love it when he tries to sound intelligent by over analyzing a very simple peicr of play, time after time.

Like the torsion effect your hip has on the ball flight of a left footed snap, in low wind, on the last Sunday of July, in a leap year.

Two of the most negative pricks in the AFL media.
Pies & Lions fans can agree on something afterall. Who knew? I guess Kingy & Dwayne really do bring people together. 3AW today tried to spark another feud between Andrew Ireland & McGuire. Muckraking pricks, all of them (but Russell most of all). Just a s**t station. I'm under 60, so I'm not in their demographic and I flicked it on by accident I swear. I really did. I promise I didn't put on 3AW deliberately. I'm not like that. As for channel 7, I can see a time when they give up and just replay the commentary from a previous encounter between the same two teams. Wouldn't make any difference. Most of their audience probably wouldn't even notice. I've got an idea for the pre-game on-field choreographed interview: walk down the race, go through the exit and out onto Brunton avenue, continue into Richmond station, get on a train, any train, and * off. I attended some of the tapings for Australia's Got Talent at the Palais this week, and I can report, actually I shouldn't be revealing this. OK I will. It turns out that Australia doesn't have any talent. Which is fine. Just don't pretend that we do. There should be an alternate show called Australia Doesn't Have Talent, and the first contestant should be Bruce McAvaney. He can sing Up There Cazaly:

Well you work to earn a living don't you?
But on weekends comes the time eh?
You can do what ever turns you on, can't you?
Get out and clear your mind, eh?
Me, I like football, don't we all?
But there's a lot of things around isn't there?
When you line them up together eh?
The footy wins hands down doesn't it?

Bruce admiring McGuire's kids triggered many. Think yourselves lucky they didn't show BT's kid:

130b020de680eba6f6d472b0fe10edcc--strange-people-boy-george.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back