Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

If it was me..

650k at a club I loved. Living in a place I love with people im close to at the brisk of success in the near future v a couple hundred k more to go back home (never imagined he was one to be home sick) to play for a now rebuilding club being the highest player in a two-club town with all that expection...
And at 22, he could easily get more $ in a couple years if he becomes a star.

Its a no brainer. Stay for success (while getting paid well) over $$
I mean, we’re talking maybe 800k more over the 4 years. He would have to work for 5 years at the Suns to make that, as opposed to 4 in Adelaide.

Obviously quality of life and well-being is most important to a lot of us, but that is also a lot of money. Would I move to Adelaide for a 25-30% pay rise in my wage? Probably not: I like the GC and my life is here and I’m a lot older than Rankine. But 25-30% of his wage at just 22yo is a different story. It’s a huge difference over 4 years for a young person.

This is the main reason that I won’t even be that mad if Rankine does leave. It is a ridiculous (over)payday.

But like you said, he has to be prepared to cop everything that comes with that pay-rise. The heat will be on him in a way he has never felt up here at the Suns.

I mean, we’re talking maybe 800k more over the 4 years. He would have to work for 5 years at the Suns to make that, as opposed to 4 in Adelaide.

Obviously quality of life and well-being is most important to a lot of us, but that is also a lot of money. Would I move to Adelaide for a 25-30% pay rise in my wage? Probably not: I like the GC and my life is here and I’m a lot older than Rankine. But 25-30% of his wage at just 22yo is a different story. It’s a huge difference over 4 years for a young person.

This is the main reason that I won’t even be that mad if Rankine does leave. It is a ridiculous (over)payday.

But like you said, he has to be prepared to cop everything that comes with that pay-rise. The heat will be on him in a way he has never felt up here at the Suns.
This is not his only income stream.

‘monster energy athlete’
Media
I’m sure there are others.

So it’ll probably be more like 1 mil/ye vs 750k /year

If it was me..

650k at a club I loved. Living in a place I love with people im close to at the brisk of success in the near future v a couple hundred k more to go back home (never imagined he was one to be home sick) to play for a now rebuilding club being the highest player in a two-club town with all that expection...
And at 22, he could easily get more $ in a couple years if he becomes a star.

Its a no brainer. Stay for success (while getting paid well) over $$
No brainer for me too. The argument that he is 22 years old so can't refuse that amount of money annoys me. But that just me. So many players on good teams stay for less for reasons you stated. I better focus and appreciate players like Ballard and Powell :)

And a small forward at that!
If you listen to Rankine he has ambition to play in midfield. Cameron also mentioned on several occasions that Suns view him ultimately as a midfielder down the track. Let's see if he can make it there. Probably IMO (just not with Suns).

Last edited:
If you listen to Rankine he has ambition to play in midfield. Cameron also mentioned on several occasions that Suns view him ultimately as a midfielder down the track. Let's see if he can make there. Probably IMO (just not with Suns).
He does spend a bit of time up around stoppages on the wing at times.
But will have to learn a defensive side to stoppage game.

I think he can definitely do it.
Has the talent, awareness in space, decision making excellent.
But will take quite a bit of learning.

I agree. One of the things though that I’m sure the Crows and all the big clubs will do is pitch the prospect of playing in front of big crowds every week. Something we can’t offer. Izak loves being the showman and that would appeal to him greatly. That, the outrageous money and being closer to his family (who by all reports are putting pressure on him to return) makes it a tough decision.

If you listen to Rankine he has ambition to play in midfield. Cameron also mentioned on several occasions that Suns view him ultimately as a midfielder down the track. Let's see if he can make there. Probably IMO (just not with Suns).
Would like to give him some more midfield minutes tonight against the bigger Geelong bodies to see how he goes! He’s definitely got skills we need there - vision, smarts, delivery and pace.

You ain't going to like this.....

Mark McKenzie has just taken a call from Craig Cameron....

Player involved to replace Rankine if he goes.

Player is not sold on the idea + still under contract.

No brainer for me too. The argument that he is 22 years old so can't refuse that amount of money annoys me. But that just me. So many players on good teams stay for less for reasons you stated. I better focus and appreciate players like Ballard and Powell :)
Yeah I mean how about earning that kind of money on your own merit rather it be given to you on a siver platter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I mean how about earning that kind of money on your own merit rather it be given to you on a siver platter.
Another annoying aspect is that the club invested heavily into him and it took basically first 3 years to build him up and teach him how to become a professional player while being on more than good money the last 2 years.

Another annoying aspect is that the club invested heavily into him and it took basically first 3 years to build him up and teach him how to become a professional player while being on more than good money the last 2 years.
That’s a fair argument.

All the more reason the club has to start paying players on current value, rather than future value/potential. It doesn’t benefit us to pay extra early, because they can still leave for more money after that contract anyway.

No and No

Just waiting for a call back.

Who would you say is the most respected / trusted poster on the GC boards - anyone in particular?
SUNS

Man is the club as far as I'm concerned

SUNS

Man is the club as far as I'm concerned
I still believe that unless it is a very fair and weighted trade in our favour - then we hold fast and call Izak's bluff re PSD etc. I'd rather he go to NM than the Crows - but I'm a kinda spiteful person. Will be interested to see how he goes this afternoon and his / team body language in general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back