Recommitted Izak Rankine [contracted and staying at Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

They want a KPF. With Thilthorpe Himmelbergs game time will be severly limited and he would be ap erfect fit for GC. Competes hard, can clunk pack marks and can back up ruck for them. If he is a makeweight in a deal for Rankine, it is not a bad result for them

Edit..is also from that neck of the woods from memory too so if he did go there and was good, has no 'go home' factor
He can do all of that, but he doesn't do any of it to a consistent AFL standard.

He can do all of that, but he doesn't do any of it to a consistent AFL standard.
True. If Thilthorpe was not at our club - a genuine generational forward talent who is cutting his teeth at AFL level in his 1st season, Himmelberg would have been granted more games this year. He is now very likely surplus to requirements due to Thilthorpe being a lock and us playing walker with Fogarty likely to be the longer term walker replacement in the side.

Has gone backwards by a fair bit. What coaches should stop doing is to try turn purely offensive players like Rankine into balanced players that are also defense minded.

Just look at Dusty/Danger, give them the free pass to do anything they want, and build a midfield/forward line around them. Star/generational players should not compromise their playstyle, when you're a genuine match winner, the club should take advantage of that and recruit players that accentuate the strength of these players.

Play Ben King as a high half forward to help them transition the ball offensively, GC has really struggled with this. Ben King should be developed into a leading half forward like Nick Riewoldt, it's just not his strength to out muscled key defenders at the goal score. Play Rankine as that goal square forward so that he can fully exploit opposition defenders through his speed/agility.

Has gone backwards by a fair bit. What coaches should stop doing is to try turn purely offensive players like Rankine into balanced players that are also defense minded.

Just look at Dusty/Danger, give them the free pass to do anything they want, and build a midfield/forward line around them. Star/generational players should not compromise their playstyle, when you're a genuine match winner, the club should take advantage of that and recruit players that accentuate the strength of these players.

Play Ben King as a high half forward to help them transition the ball offensively, GC has really struggled with this. Ben King should be developed into a leading half forward like Nick Riewoldt, it's just not his strength to out muscled key defenders at the goal score. Play Rankine as that goal square forward so that he can fully exploit opposition defenders through his speed/agility.

Now that's just false. Neither Dusty nor Danger were given a free pass defensively whilst they were at the height of their power (Dangerfield is this year). Both ended up having a league average defensive game for a midfielder.

The two best small forwards in the last 10 years in Walters and Betts were fantastic defensively. The best one currently in Cameron is even better than those two on the defensive side of things. When push comes to shove, there is no place in the AFL for a purely offensive small forward. Not only that but improving your defensive game inevitably helps your offensive game as you're giving yourself another avenue to create chances. Betts racked up quite a few goals from his defensive work over the journey.

Rankine is probably being harshly judged at this point due to being pick 2, and Gold Coast woes. Unfortunately, that's a vicious cycle as small forwards in terrible teams are usually going to be worse for it.

King gets the ball 90m out from goal and kicks it to....

King is on track to kick 55 goals as a 20 year old in his 3rd year in the current role.
He takes a huge number of marks on the lead using his acceleration to get 3m space over a 10m effort.

For a team where kicking a winning score is the main problem, taking our best goal scorer and best shot for goal away from the goals doesn't make sense to me.

We've looked so much better with Corbett in the team who can take a mark or create a contest on the wing which we've desperately needed.

Now that's just false. Neither Dusty nor Danger were given a free pass defensively whilst they were at the height of their power (Dangerfield is this year). Both ended up having a league average defensive game for a midfielder.

The two best small forwards in the last 10 years in Walters and Betts were fantastic defensively. The best one currently in Cameron is even better than those two on the defensive side of things. When push comes to shove, there is no place in the AFL for a purely offensive small forward. Not only that but improving your defensive game inevitably helps your offensive game as you're giving yourself another avenue to create chances. Betts racked up quite a few goals from his defensive work over the journey.

Rankine is probably being harshly judged at this point due to being pick 2, and Gold Coast woes. Unfortunately, that's a vicious cycle as small forwards in terrible teams are usually going to be worse for it.
Yeah Rankine is being coping a bit of heat because of the media hype that he doesn't control. Charlie Cameron half way through 2017 started to play average every game, the rumor was he was home sick because he started playing average after the Crows played the Lions in Brisbane up till he kicked 5 in the prelim against the Cats then left and has looked like a Star ever since.

A poster on our board this morning said that in a SEN interview with Lukosius and Collins it was mentioned Rankine had recently moved out of his house and into his own place with his girlfriend who had relocated from interstate. As was rightly pointed out, that is not the sort of thing you do if you are generally planning on leaving so might be very good news for Suns fans

More a question for draft watchers, but my memory of rankine in his underage and then draft year was that he was more midfielder-forward hybrid, whereas at the Suns he seems to be exclusively a small-mid sized forward

Is this possibly stunting his development a little? Or is my memory poor?

More a question for draft watchers, but my memory of rankine in his underage and then draft year was that he was more midfielder-forward hybrid, whereas at the Suns he seems to be exclusively a small-mid sized forward

I would argue the opposite. Suns have tried to push him up the ground alot. If you follow his heat map he gets alot across the wing / hbf / hff. Almost think he's better if didnt leave the f50

Forward-mid as a junior but tries to do much in traffic at AFL level.
We have played him up the ground but he just struggles. He is at his best a small forward roving packs and finding space. His ability to get to the front of a contest and the drop of the ball in a ruck contest or marking contest is ridiculously good he just needs to find a little bit of consistency with how hard he works.

Forward-mid as a junior but tries to do much in traffic at AFL level.
We have played him up the ground but he just struggles. He is at his best a small forward roving packs and finding space. His ability to get to the front of a contest and the drop of the ball in a ruck contest or marking contest is ridiculously good he just needs to find a little bit of consistency with how hard he works.
Rankine has one of the best deliveries inside 50. Sharp says thank you very much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats his primary position been lately, more of mid/fwd or sml fwd full time? Hows he been impacting games?
Playing as a floating high forward. Comes up to the contest to work his magic

Impact on games recently not too much. Real highlights is when he has ball in hand and kicking inside 50, chooses the right kick and option.

Prone to getting caught with the ball a lot, for using “composure” or being too slow which ever way you look at it, but Bowes, Powell do the same the other end.

Going alright, will get better. Still only played like 25 games

Playing as a floating high forward. Comes up to the contest to work his magic

Impact on games recently not too much. Real highlights is when he has ball in hand and kicking inside 50, chooses the right kick and option.

Prone to getting caught with the ball a lot, for using “composure” or being too slow which ever way you look at it, but Bowes, Powell do the same the other end.

Going alright, will get better. Still only played like 25 games
i thought there were times he needed to work harder into the forward 50 when we had the ball kicking into an open forward line.

sexton absolutely sprints in these circumstances to create an outnumber and scores a lot of his goals like this - saw rankine just jogging a couple of times when he could have really put on the afterburners.

i thought there were times he needed to work harder into the forward 50 when we had the ball kicking into an open forward line.

sexton absolutely sprints in these circumstances to create an outnumber and scores a lot of his goals like this - saw rankine just jogging a couple of times when he could have really put on the afterburners.
I reckon he can be very lazy at times. Natural talent has probably been enough so far, but won’t cut it forever at AFL level. Plenty of time for him to come good of course. I’d seriously consider dropping him, feels like he could use a rocket

I reckon he can be very lazy at times. Natural talent has probably been enough so far, but won’t cut it forever at AFL level. Plenty of time for him to come good of course. I’d seriously consider dropping him, feels like he could use a rocket
Not lazy at all if you watch him. Works actually hard.

tbh if the suns get a good enough offer for him i reckon they should let him go. obviously supremely talented but IMHO looks likely to have a jarred brennan type of career. always the most naturally talented bloke on the field but is flashy and inconsistent, can do the mercurial but not often enough to make up for when he doesnt impact.

tbh if the suns get a good enough offer for him i reckon they should let him go. obviously supremely talented but IMHO looks likely to have a jarred brennan type of career. always the most naturally talented bloke on the field but is flashy and inconsistent, can do the mercurial but not often enough to make up for when he doesnt impact.
Going early on a 2nd year kid... What was Bolton doing in his 2nd year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back