Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

The 3rd of the GC suns 2018 crew out of contract along with king and luko.

his talent and upside is huge but hasn’t yet had it all click at afl level

hard to gauge salary wise especially when suns likely have over paid these draftees to keep them
Are Suns overpaying all players or only some players? Who do they overpay? :p It does not make sense. How can they fit them into TPP? You do know that clubs have to pay 95% TPP regardless young/old list and there was only like 600K difference between 100% and 95% TPP in 2021?

Are Suns overpaying all players or only some players? Who do they overpay? :p It does not make sense. How can they fit them into TPP? You do know that clubs have to pay 95% TPP regardless young/old list and there was only like 600K difference between 100% and 95% TPP in 2021?
When I say overpay I mean relative to their age

as in draftees who come off their initial 2 year deal in order to keep them from going home straight away they put a very generous contract in front of the 3rd year players

which is what leads them to a tight cap and not being able to chase other players

When I say overpay I mean relative to their age

as in draftees who come off their initial 2 year deal in order to keep them from going home straight away they put a very generous contract in front of the 3rd year players

which is what leads them to a tight cap and not being able to chase other players
While draftees in other clubs happily agree to non-generous contracts? I would say that pressure goes across the teams as agents are well aware of salaries. Some players agents actually talked about it during trade period. Top draftees re-sign salaries let's say in Suns filter into other clubs. Or do you believe in my hypothetical scenario below just for fun?

Lets say Phillips will ask "I would like higher or at least the same contract as Hollands as I was pick 3" and North will say "That's different, Hollands has to be paid overs because he plays for Suns. You are lucky to be in Melbourne and play for us. We give you 200K less as we want to keep some money for other re-signings" and Phillips happily agrees.

I bet Phillips will get similar offer Hollands, Anderson and others get/got.

I agree that if the team has a lot of young players during re-build as they mature (Suns case) and logically demand salary increase it creates pressure on TPP. I expect some players will be let go similar to GWS and even Suns list manager mentioned that they will follow GWS model. But the actual wiggle room in TPP is minimal (600K). In case of Suns, they happily dispatched Brodie with his deferred salary and assisted by concession pick and with Greenwood gone - that saved them probably 1.2M. Considering that Greenwood departure was not planned, I would expect some front-loaded re-negotiated contract offers to un-signed players to spend min 95% TPP in 2022.

While draftees in other clubs happily agree to non-generous contracts? I would say that pressure goes across the teams as agents are well aware of salaries. Some players agents actually talked about it during trade period. Top draftees re-sign salaries let's say in Suns filter into other clubs. Or do you believe in my hypothetical scenario below just for fun?

Lets say Phillips will ask "I would like higher or at least the same contract as Hollands as I was pick 3" and North will say "That's different, Hollands has to be paid overs because he plays for Suns. You are lucky to be in Melbourne and play for us. We give you 200K less as we want to keep some money for other re-signings" and Phillips happily agrees.

I bet Phillips will get similar offer Hollands, Anderson and others get/got.

I agree that if the team has a lot of young players during re-build as they mature (Suns case) and logically demand salary increase it creates pressure on TPP. I expect some players will be let go similar to GWS and even Suns list manager mentioned that they will follow GWS model. But the actual wiggle room in TPP is minimal (600K). In case of Suns, they happily dispatched Brodie with his deferred salary and assisted by concession pick and with Greenwood gone - that saved them probably 1.2M. Considering that Greenwood departure was not planned, I would expect some front-loaded re-negotiated contract offers to un-signed players to spend min 95% TPP in 2022.

In reality, I doubt money will have much to do with Rankine moving, if he does.

I think it’s widely accepted that gcs has had to pay young players more money in order to keep them.

It’s one of the challenges they face.
I think definitely true as of 2017 - 2018 with Ainsworth, Brodie, Bowes etc..

I don't know what Anderson, Lukosius, Powell etc.. have signed for beyond their first rookie contract though

As a crows supporter, this is the one I’d want to play for the crows. If Nicks could get that FIGJAM attitude out of him then he is worth every cent

Even someone like MacPherson was on a salary you had to try to salary dump.
Yeah, he signed a new deal reported as 350-400k in 2019 when he came 3rd in the BnF.

the list was so dire in that 2017-2018 period. We had to pay someone. Some of those contracts definitely hanging over the head a bit now.

Didnt King get a massive offer? Or has he not accepted it yet?
don't work in the football club so don't know.
from a meeting held with key members of recruiting team and select members we had reported to us that King was in discussion about a contract renewal late 2021.

No reporting on the size of the deal but you could imagine we'd be willing to pay him well - held certainly be valued >750k on the open market i'd imagine.
I'm ok with paying King 850k when you know he'll make it as a seriously good football player. vs. paying someone like Brodie 500k who has potential but not done anything yet (at the time of the deal... and still now)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't work in the football club so don't know.
from a meeting held with key members of recruiting team and select members we had reported to us that King was in discussion about a contract renewal late 2021.

No reporting on the size of the deal but you could imagine we'd be willing to pay him well - held certainly be valued >750k on the open market i'd imagine.
I'm ok with paying King 850k when you know he'll make it as a seriously good football player. vs. paying someone like Brodie 500k who has potential but not done anything yet (at the time of the deal... and still now)

If you add up all the big money the young players are on, plus the big money the older ones who moved over, how much do you think is left in the pot for the other 20 players on the list?

Do you think there may be a "Collingwood" firesale coming soon?

IIRC, Matt Rendell suggested Luko and Rankine were being paid around $700k.
I’ve heard Ben king was offered even more (800k) than that in his 3rd year to keep him there

It’s no surprise they have cap issues

Usually you only need to pay overs to get people to your club but gc are having to pay overs to keep people from going home

If you add up all the big money the young players are on, plus the big money the older ones who moved over, how much do you think is left in the pot for the other 20 players on the list?

Do you think there may be a "Collingwood" firesale coming soon?
Brodie and Greenwood going would have helped here, nearly a million in space right there.

I feel that of the three (Luko, King and Rankine) Rankine is both the most likely to leave and the one the Suns can afford to let go.

He's got all the talent in the world but the Suns are never going to want for lack of talent. They need people who are going to bust arse and build that culture.

If he wants out and you can get another top 10-15 pick for him then you move on and grab the next one.

I feel that of the three (Luko, King and Rankine) Rankine is both the most likely to leave and the one the Suns can afford to let go.

He's got all the talent in the world but the Suns are never going to want for lack of talent. They need people who are going to bust arse and build that culture.

If he wants out and you can get another top 10-15 pick for him then you move on and grab the next one.
Just curious why do you think Rankine is most likely to leave? Because he struggled later in the season and was dropped?

From the three, Rankine was most vocal about loving the club, Gold Coast. He was the first to extend the contract, said he would rather move family to GC than move back to Adelaide, bought recently house on GC and his girlfriend moved to GC to live with him. Lemmens married one of his relatives, so he now has a family on GC too. Retired Harbrow is now indigenous liaison with Suns and is like father figure to all indigenous players.

Not saying he will not leave but I did not see any sign yet.

Last edited:
Half of that gone to Miller
Miller would have went from a modest pay packet to being paid in the top echelon of players I reckon. Would have been a big pay rise.

And good on them for developing and holding onto a player.

Though I don’t think it’s cash that will make any difference in whether they can hold rankine or luko. Other factors will be the deciders imo.

Miller would have went from a modest pay packet to being paid in the top echelon of players I reckon. Would have been a big pay rise.

And good on them for developing and holding onto a player.

Though I don’t think it’s cash that will make any difference in whether they can hold rankine or luko. Other factors will be the deciders imo.

I don’t think so either. They would be on a decent pay already from their first contract upgrade. It’s going to be a massive season for the Suns off the field

Success will be a key determiner. If we start winning and pushing for finals, players are much more likely to hang around.

Massive year for the Suns.
I would hope some players will re-sign before season starts. If not, it could be a wild ride for Suns and Dew. Suns got 20 players off contract. At least 14-15 I would like to keep.

Success will be a key determiner. If we start winning and pushing for finals, players are much more likely to hang around.

Massive year for the Suns.
I've got the Suns finishing 8th this year. Not a popular opinion but the talent there entering their 3rd and 4th years is ridiculous. Plenty of good wins last year without a proper ruckman, that won't be a problem this year.

Rankine my favourite player btw, still enjoy watching his junior highlights.

Good luck! Another bad year will be fatal for this group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back