Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that lots of the VFL Media now reckon we did extremely well to get Rankine.

Deep down think they knew how mercurially talented he is and all of the pre Trade huff and puff was a form of coping mechanism by them as they simply hate us having elite talent, especially SA elite talent.

Is mercurial the right word here? I think they wouldn't need to cope with anything if they thought him to be an inconsistent player.

Personally I will back the club in to be able to draft/recruit/develop an elite midfielder in the next couple of years, I don't think they're that difficult to find IMO.
Elite mids don't grow on trees. How many do you think there are in the AFL at the moment.

I'm talking game winning unmatchable mids.

Maybe we should start developing an elite tagger ?
A La Shirley
That’s what I don’t understand. When you don’t have an elite midfield and the opposition do, why don’t we play a tagger? Nicks was part of the GWS coaches that played De Boer and made a GF. We’ve seen what happens to Brisbane when Neale is tagged.

That’s what I don’t understand. When you don’t have an elite midfield and the opposition do, why don’t we play a tagger? Nicks was part of the GWS coaches that played De Boer and made a GF. We’ve seen what happens to Brisbane when Neale is tagged.
We have at some point haven’t we? I could’ve sworn berry tagged someone at some point.

Rags_118 said:
"No Paul Bagshaw in that list? You’re not serious ".

Serious? About what? :confusedv1:
Take it easy.
The list was never intended to be exhaustive; it was off the top of my head.
There are probably another 10 or more players from that era (60's/70's) and Bagshaw would definitely be one.
I loved that Sturt side of the Jack Oatey era (wishing it was West Adelaide! :cry:). They changed the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear Jake Lever knows of a good place to dump old club merch

Wasn't that a storm in a teacup moment. Never would've thought someone throwing out their old team gear would become headline news.

Crow haters using it as ammunition, "Taking his Crows stuff to the dump! LOL! He HATES them!" Like most other players don't ditch their old stuff when they get traded away.

Then some of the Crow faithful turning it around on him like "He's throwing it out, he could've donated it to needy people. What a jerk."

Simpler times.

I completely agree, and don't agree with the 'good teams don't tag' philosophy, because the top 2 teams have done it this year and it's been pretty successful.

Wasn't that a storm in a teacup moment. Never would've thought someone throwing out their old team gear would become headline news.

Crow haters using it as ammunition, "Taking his Crows stuff to the dump! LOL! He HATES them!" Like most other players don't ditch their old stuff when they get traded away.

Then some of the Crow faithful turning it around on him like "He's throwing it out, he could've donated it to needy people. What a jerk."

Simpler times.
Professional sports people get given a ridiculous amount of gear every season that either is donated to family/friends or hits the bins after a season finishes.

Elite mids don't grow on trees. How many do you think there are in the AFL at the moment.

I'm talking game winning unmatchable mids.

There more than you think

Bont, Pendelbery, Neale, Cripps, Oliver, Martin, Fyfe, Petracca,

There is a sub list of mids who would be on the cusp guys like Wines, Boak, Bailey Smith, Laird, Parish, Walsh, Miller, Steele, Kelly etc

There is a sub list of mids who would be on the cusp guys like Wines, Boak, Bailey Smith, Laird, Parish, Walsh, Miller, Steele, Kelly etc
TBF though .....that list spands a decade .....and i'm not sure Parish, Wines, and a couple of others are elite

Dangerfield was elite ....Martin too

I think only half the teams in the competition have 1 elite mid, the other half have 0

Just another aspect of how we are not a very creative / innovative club.

Running two ruckmen? Didn't try it.

Tap ons and knocks ons? Nah, not worth it.

I hope that they noticed Geelong's tactics in the GF, very attacking, very take a chance whereas Syd was exactly like us. Collingwood were similar. Taking max advantage of the new rules. I think clubs will spend more time working on ways to nullify those rules rather than maximise them :( but anyway. Hopefully we took note.

In promising developments though, we were way worse in the past. Couldn't switch a player from attack to defense or vice versa in season! Had to train with them in the pre season before we'd swap. Now we are doing that in AFL games and we do a lot of change ups in SANFL.

Is mercurial the right word here? I think they wouldn't need to cope with anything if they thought him to be an inconsistent player.
Mercurial is absolutely the right word to use in defining what Izak is capable of on a football field. Not always consistent but a player that can pull off plays very very few other players can.

Just another aspect of how we are not a very creative / innovative club.

Running two ruckmen? Didn't try it.

Tap ons and knocks ons? Nah, not worth it.

I hope that they noticed Geelong's tactics in the GF, very attacking, very take a chance whereas Syd was exactly like us. Collingwood were similar. Taking max advantage of the new rules. I think clubs will spend more time working on ways to nullify those rules rather than maximise them :( but anyway. Hopefully we took note.

In promising developments though, we were way worse in the past. Couldn't switch a player from attack to defense or vice versa in season! Had to train with them in the pre season before we'd swap. Now we are doing that in AFL games and we do a lot of change ups in SANFL.
We played 2 rucks against Grundy in 2020 didn't we? Didn't work out.

Mercurial is absolutely the right word to use in defining what Izak is capable of on a football field. Not always consistent but a player that can pull off plays very very few other players can.
Mercurial doesn't mean inconsistent anyway, it's more like unpredictable.

Back