Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
So it sounds like Rankine is a mix of Aker/ Mcleod and Darren Jarmen...
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
Akermanis was as elite as it gets. If he's half as good I will be happy.
Fun fact re Akermanis I remember an interview he did ages ago and he was asked the biggest difference at that time going from the lions to the dogs.

He said ''at the lions you were provided the lollies during after training at the dogs you had to buy and bring your own lollies''

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
no question Mcleod had him for foot skills.What Dangerfield had that very few did was an ability to get a hardball, stand up in a tackle and break away from it and the contest.

But you will get no arguments fromme if we have a guy that could get up there near where mcLeod was and Rankine absolutely has the evasiveness and foot skills..just needs to build his tank more to really transition to a midfield role

Imagine though, first game of the season and the oppo trott out and see Rankine and Rachele either side of tex across half forward
You need to go watch some McLeod games from the second half of his career. He put on a heap of arm muscle. He could get handballs away with two players hanging off him.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Rankine and JHF are different prototypes. One appears more a skilled midfield bull, and the other is more a nifty goal sneak who can play part-time midfield.

I see Rankine reaching roughly the level of an Akermanis.
AKERMANIS!!

Jeez mate, I hope so, especially the triple-Flag winner part.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I like the comparisons with Aker as well.as those with McLeod.

I actually think he has elements of both, but to get to that level he needs to further improve his fitness. Like those two, he needs to get his fitness to a point where he looks like he's cruising when others are labouring.

Hopefully this gets that elite speed we saw as junior back. I'm not saying he's slow, I just don't think he's got enough to apply that speed often enough.

I think he's spent the first phase of his career adding muscle to his skinny frame to compete against bigger bodies, hopefully we can keep that strength but also add that next level of fitness.
Believe in Burgess.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Haven't seen a player like Bunj ever, as crisp and clean as they come.. Still my favourite player of all time
McLeod is silk. Dangerfield, canvas.
Both capable of jaw-dropping brilliance, but I'd take Bunji any day, for skill and loyalty.

I'm a West Adelaide supporter from way back, but McLeod reminded me of Barrie Robran (North Adelaide), who was smooth, fluent and effortlessly skillful.
Robran could run backwards and evade better than most players run forward. He was TEFLON.

Apr 5, 2015
The future
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AC Milan, Arsenal, North Adelaide
Both capable of jaw-dropping brilliance, but I'd take Bunji any day, for skill and loyalty.

I'm a West Adelaide supporter from way back, but McLeod reminded me of Barrie Robran (North Adelaide), who was smooth, fluent and effortlessly skillful.
Robran could run backwards and evade better than most players run forward. He was TEFLON.
I wish I got to see Robran play in the flesh :(

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

talking of players with unbelievable talent, I remember a very young Peter Motley at Sturt...he could have gone on to be the greatest of all

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't think twice picking mcleod over dangerfield.

Everyone rates McLeod as a champion - and yet that still underrates him. Star half back , 2 Norms playing midfield - and kicked a lazy 7 up forward in a prelim.

There isn’t a player in the game today as good - including Dusty

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I wish I got to see Robran play in the flesh :(
Like I said, I was a West Adelaide supporter, but Robran --- well, you just had to watch, admire and respect what he did.
Also Lindsay Head, Russell Ebert and mercurial Malcolm Blight (who appeared to make the impossible, possible. Have a look at this torp which crossed the goal line post-high ffs:
).

I remember Robran as long and lanky, but smooooth; one of those players who put the thrill in brilliance because he did it so easily, seemingly effortlessly. This is all I could find for you (how's the candy-selling handball??):

Rankine has a long way to go to be compared to Akermanis, or Bunji, or any of the above but if he gets even close he'll be a major asset for us.
Fwiw, I think Dawson has the most elite potential of any of our current players. He's all ready excellent but is star quality if played wing/connector and maybe rotated through the guts occasionally.

McLeod was one of those guys where the game just seemed to open up for him. He saw the lines instantly and knew where to run, when to baulk. He'd do the impossible with the ball, and then deliver it perfectly. He made AFL look like a very simple game.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
McLeod was one of those guys where the game just seemed to open up for him. He saw the lines instantly and knew where to run, when to baulk. He'd do the impossible with the ball, and then deliver it perfectly. He made AFL look like a very simple game.

Very few players could 'glide' like Bunji.

Smooth as silk he was.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Like I said, I was a West Adelaide supporter, but Robran --- well, you just had to watch, admire and respect what he did.
Also Lindsay Head, Russell Ebert and mercurial Malcolm Blight (who appeared to make the impossible, possible. Have a look at this torp which crossed the goal line post-high ffs:
).

I remember Robran as long and lanky, but smooooth; one of those players who put the thrill in brilliance because he did it so easily, seemingly effortlessly. This is all I could find for you (how's the candy-selling handball??):

Rankine has a long way to go to be compared to Akermanis, or Bunji, or any of the above but if he gets even close he'll be a major asset for us.
Fwiw, I think Dawson has the most elite potential of any of our current players. He's all ready excellent but is star quality if played wing/connector and maybe rotated through the guts occasionally.

Standard game from Robran😍

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Pick 5 was slightly overs but at least we have some genuinely exciting players on the list again. Really looking forward to next year.
Dawson last year, Rankine this year.

Remember the year we brought in Angus Graham? Or the Lowden-Cheney double bonanza?

I know Port trumped us with their pick up but we've brought in some genuine talent and haven't lost anyone of value. Which is the exact opposite to how plenty of trade periods have worked out for us previously.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.

Remember the year we brought in Angus Graham? Or the Lowden-Cheney double bonanza?

I know Port trumped us with their pick up but we've brought in some genuine talent and haven't lost anyone of value. Which is the exact opposite to how plenty of trade periods have worked out for us previously.
Yep agreed, happy to see the glass half full this year.

FullyBigKPro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

This.

Given our iffy history of high end first round picks, i've come around and content we used it on Rankine.

Wonder now if we are a touch closer to maybe getting Lukosius back at some point with Rankine now here.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
This.

Given our iffy history of high end first round picks, i've come around and content we used it on Rankine.

Wonder now if we are a touch closer to maybe getting Lukosius back at some point with Rankine now here.
I think posters would be happier with the price of the trade if Fisher McAsey had a younger brother touted as a top 10 pick this year

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
Standard game from Robran😍
I remember seeing Robran as a kid, the game just slowed down for him. No player I‘ve ever seen made football look so easy.

Blight was a freak. I think Barassi said that you could never train a kid by watching Blight because he just did the impossible. Marked when totally out of position, the goal in the post above. He did the freakish stuff every week. I remember seeing a Woodville game at Football Park back in the day and he just turned onto his left about 60m out and sent a torp straight through the goals. He kicked about 130 goals that year in the SANFL.

*Edit apologies mods this stuff shouldn’t be in this thread

Back