Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

Just stop mate. How were we ever getting a pick 10 without using 5? We will get something back - and it may be quite good - but we were always using 5 in some way shape or form. Whether it was splitting (which is a waste) or directly.

Your comments above even agree with this in a roundabout way (worth pick 10). So move on. We will get something back and the final trade will be worth about pick 10 exactly as you have said - but GC will have pick 5

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What are you talking about? I've never said we won't trade pick 5 unless we use our future 1st rounder.

Mate there's been some reasonable Crows and other supporters who understand that Adelaide more than likely won't have 5 in the upcoming draft.
Other Crows on the other hand have been adamant that Adelaide will keep 5 and give away seconds and thirds, or send Izak to the PSD and the Suns will get nothing.
Suns supporters had a fair idea that Izak would be leaving because he nominated the Crows and have accepted it.
He's worth pick 5 because there's no-one in the draft better than him. Reid has said it's on the table and I can see it being given to the Suns just like other non Crows supporters :)
No-one in the draft is better than him??? You do know they are 4 years younger than him and will be recruited based on potential so how that is even comparable is beyond me as you can apply the same argument to Graham......

The top 4-5 picks are still quality like in any draft so they can develop into a Walsh or Smith in 4 years time who are better than Rankine at 22 years old.

That's all well and good, but you are offering Rankine such an obscene amount of money that The Suns have ever right to demand at least pick 5 from The Crows (anything more and that would be overs from Gold Coast's perspective)

I think far too many people on BF - and particularly on this thread - get carried away with media reports. Pick 5 was always likely to be involved in the trade - either to GC directly or a split into two first rounders.
You and others are assuming it will be pick 5 plus something and it may be. I suspect it might be 5, future 3rd from Collingwood for Rankine and 25 which is a good deal for both

GC only really care about elite picks as they have so many young players - and points for next year. The Crows care about getting Rankine and some of the value out of pick 5

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah I think that seems around the ball park to me.

I think The Suns need to throw in one of their surplus 2nd round picks to Adelaide too.

Hope Crows fans are patient with Rankine if he doesn't perform to high standards straight away.

That's all well and good, but you are offering Rankine such an obscene amount of money that The Suns have ever right to demand at least pick 5 from The Crows (anything more and that would be overs from Gold Coast's perspective)
Sure they will as will any other club will want to start the negotiation and ask for overs but contract value doesn't mean pick value. Look at what Carlton offered Cerra just last year and what we received for McGovern. Anyway, I wouldn't call $700-750K obscene amount of money, this is less than what Carlton offered McGovern.

Yeah I think that seems around the ball park to me.

I think The Suns need to throw in one of their surplus 2nd round picks to Adelaide too.

Hope Crows fans are patient with Rankine if he doesn't perform to high standards straight away.
Nice subtle dig lol, if that's the case why is he worth pick 5 when he can't handle the pressure?

Some of that money is to lure him away from GC. That shouldn't be factored into his value - it should be based on his actual value which is around $650-700K.

Hypothetically, let's say the Crows had 3m left in our cap and offered Clayton Oliver 3m for 1 year to lure him across. Should we cough up 4-5 first rounders because we are paying him 3m? Of course not, we should pay what he is worth - probably 2x 1st rounders. The same applies here - just on a lesser scale.

Sure they will as will any other club will want to start the negotiation and ask for overs but contract value doesn't mean pick value. Look at what Carlton offered Cerra just last year and what we received for McGovern. Anyway, I wouldn't call $700-750K obscene amount of money, this is less than what Carlton offered McGovern.

I am fairly sure Rankine will be paid more than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insider information? I've heard a report GCS offered him only $650K and we offered him $50-100K more.

His contract his heavily front loaded.

Will be earning over 900 K in his first season at West Lakes (according to several media sources)

The top 4-5 picks are still quality like in any draft so they can develop into a Walsh or Smith in 4 years time who are both better than a 22 years old Rankine.
I didn't ask about potential either because Izak hasn't fulfilled his yet.
I didn't say there is no quality.
I asked who is better and the answer is no-one.

I didn't ask about potential either because Izak hasn't fulfilled his yet.
I didn't say there is no quality.
I asked who is better and the answer is no-one.
How do you know he hasn't? He has been 4 years in the AFL system so isn't like this year's draftee who haven't even shown their potential, there's no arguing his form in the 2nd half of this year was excellent but hasn't showed that form consistently for 1-2 years like Cerra did. And your argument is totally flawed anyway as I can say there isn't anyone better than Graham in this draft so should Port Power give pick 8 for him lol.

His contract his heavily front loaded.

Will be earning over 900 K in his first season at West Lakes (according to several media sources)
Media
lgsq.jpg

Okay so what if he doesn't go to the preseason draft?

What's the trade then?

I have a feeling they are haggling over other pick swaps.

It might be Adelaide are asking for pick 25 this year but Gold Coast are saying pick 35.

The deal might be

Adelaide give 5 and future 3rd
Gold Coast give Rankine and 32

Happily handing over pick 5 to have this forward line

Fogarty - Walker - McAdam
Rankine - Thilthorpe- Rachele

View attachment 1523195
Not bad but hardly a forward line I'd froth at the mouth over. Half of them haven't even hit their potential yet and Walker is in the twilight.

How do you know he hasn't? He has been 4 years in the AFL system so isn't like this year's draftee who haven't even shown their potential, there's no arguing his form in the 2nd half of this year was excellent but hasn't showed that form consistently for 1-2 years like Cerra did. And your argument is totally flawed anyway as I can say there isn't anyone better than Graham in this draft so should Port Power give pick 8 for him lol.
Still haven't answered the question I asked.
Who's better than him in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back