Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

Max cant kick though.
Ben was a good get, and rankine got them decent return

The Suns are trying to build a team.
Unless the loss of Rankine results a better on field performer (good luck with that) your 'decent result' is a FAIL in capital letters.
A great example of why the teams in the developing States need more of everything.

Unless the loss of Rankine results a better on field performer (good luck with that) your 'decent result' is a FAIL in capital letters.
A great example of why the teams in the developing States need more of everything.
Bailey Humphrey is yet to debut due to a minor injury suffered a few weeks ago so it's not really a question that can be answered at this stage.

Is Rankine worth $800-900k a year right now? It's a lot of money to pay a small forward but you could probably argue he is with the way he's currently playing. Was he worth $800-900k at the end of last season when the decision was made? Definitely not. Now you can argue natural progression was to be expected but this is a pretty significant jump from 2022 to now. I'm also still not convinced he's going to keep this up but I can't really fault him so far.

Let's go back to 2018 when Brisbane were courting Lachie Neale and offered him $800k a year for five seasons. Fremantle offered Neale less money and less years and he ended up walking. Less than two years later Neale wins the Brownlow. It's really obvious now that Fremantle should have matched Brisbane's offer but at the time he really wasn't playing at that level and they already had a lot of money wrapped up in Fyfe's contract which limited their ability to match the offer. What I'm trying to say is in retrospect these situations can look really simple but you have to keep in mind the context of information that was available at the time.

It can easily go the other way as well which is something we've seen at GWS. They've got five or so players on $1m+ each and a guy like Nick Haynes simply doesn't deserve that kind of money. Now they're cap tied for many years and will progressively lose talented players (like Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn and Bobby Hill last year) because they have no wiggle room after committing too much to players that don't deserve it.

Ultimately I keep coming back to the idea that if not matching Adelaide's offer for Rankine allowed us to keep Noah Anderson and/or Matt Rowell then it was worth it. We know Anderson and Rowell both re-signed after Rankine left so these three moves are all directly related to one another. Don't get me wrong, Rankine is great but Anderson/Rowell are both capable of winning Brownlows in the future and I'd rather keep two potential Brownlow Medallists over the next Eddie Betts. It's like going back to 2017 and asking if you'd rather have Eddie Betts or Dustin Martin + Trent Cotchin in your team. Pretty easy decision when you put it like that but we're still a few years away from having a meaningful discussion about which player/s a team should have their money tied to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because Daniher canā€™t work it out doesnā€™t mean King wonā€™t.

Even with the questionable goalkicking Daniher is still a quality footballer.
When he wants to be, but thats another discussion

King is quality. Just not a great kick. And not sure it is fixable, unless its all mental for me. But kicking actions are hard to change once they set in. Plenty of examples of it.

We said that about daniher
Reckon he's same boat. Athletic freak, good mark. Just a bit awry with the goalkicking

King was/is considerably better than Daniher at the same age imo, just had an unlucky run of injuries, like his twin

And the dockers lose players each season and no one complains lol

GC not taking both kings that draft is really coming back to bite them.
Luko poor / Rankine gone
The one that hurts them is Luko, who just has not shown anything like what you would expect from a such a high draft pick.
And less than a day later, Luko has the best game of his career.

Think we have seen enough sample size now (a month of footy) to suggest Rankine is on track for a career best season and AA birth (injuries notwithstanding)

He has brought a lot of energy and fan engagement/enthusiasm we haven't seen at the Crows since Eddie Betts

Happy for him and The Crows fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back