Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I suppose, it's not so much that the Crows should pay pick 4 because of the 800k, but more that they clearly value him very very highly and so will be prepared to pay more draft capital - if that makes sense.
It does, but if GC only value him at 600k, they should be prepared to accept pick 15 (for example).

Two sides of the coin.

It does, but if GC only value him at 600k, they should be prepared to accept pick 15 (for example)
You dont want to be paying the talent you drafted at or above market rates or you'll never be successful. So long as the original club wants to keep the player, what they are offering is less relevant IMO, it's almost always going to be less than the poaching team.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And why should Adelaide just accept that?

He’s not worth pick 4 straight up. Mcgovern got 800k and didn’t cost that in a trade.
Cerra has been a better performer than Rankine so far.

If gc pulled something like that, I would tell them that pick 4 is now off the table.
Clubs have multiple objectives each trade week.

If rankine decides to go we’ll have to deal with that obviously.

We’ll also have other entirely seperate objectives and agendas. I’m sure we’ll be planning on trading most of these second rounders into next year to assist with points for up to 3 highly rated academy kids.

Brisbane will be a clearly identified trading partner given their requirement for points this year.

If we can gain some points for next year in rankine trade, that would obviously be of some interest.
The Crows are paying 800k so should give up 4 thing is one way to look at it.

On the other hand, GC are only offering 600k, so should they be compensated for a player they only believe is worth 600k?
The reporting is 650k contract offered from suns.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It does, but if GC only value him at 600k, they should be prepared to accept pick 15 (for example).

Two sides of the coin.
If next year Darcy fogarty is being offered 450k by Adelaide and 700k by north Melbourne to extend beyond next year you’d be happy to accept a pick in the late 20s?

McGovern was older and not a recent pick 3. Cerra better performed? I’d say both were comparable for their positions. If Gold Coast pulled something like what? All I said was trade for Brisbanes pick separately and then not give it over to Adelaide, why is saying they shouldn’t hand it over to the Crows is some great insult?

I still think all things considered it will be pick 4 and if your guys do well, get a pick 30ish back with it
Not that much older, also Mcgovern was contracted, Rankine is not.

How long does draft range matter?

bootz79

Senior List
Mar 10, 2008
eltham
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have heard the rankine with head to the crows: tarryn Thomas to Gold Coast and pick to north.

I suppose, it's not so much that the Crows should pay pick 4 because of the 800k, but more that they clearly value him very very highly and so will be prepared to pay more draft capital - if that makes sense.
Tbh pick 4 sounds about right for rankine especially in this draft where the top end isn’t as highly rated as last years

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
No one is trying to play down Rankine’s worth. Roughly pick 10 is what he’s worth. Compare that to other similar OOC players and I think that’s very fair.

Most recently was Cerra, who played 76 games in his four years and was a much more proven player than Rankine is now, he got pick 6.

Charlie Cameron got us pick 12. That’s a very fair comparison IMO.
Rankine will be much better than Cerra imo

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
He might be, but it’s largely based on potential not actual output to this point, meaning there’s a lot of risk, bringing Rankine’s value down.
Well right now in 2022 Rankine's year has been a lot better than Cerra who has been pretty average for Carlton so if the upsized of Rankine is much higher he is already outperforming him.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
To an extent, but surely you'd have to say based on the form of both at the clubs they were traded to that they went for unders.

Not to mention, neither were being offered $800k a year (if reports are true).
Charlie was offered $700k, Dawson is on $650k. A contracted McGovern was given $800k by Carlton, and the trade was two 2nds and a SANFL player.

You can only trade people for the form they were showing at the time they were traded - many traded players go backwards as well.

Last edited:

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I have heard the rankine with head to the crows: tarryn Thomas to Gold Coast and pick to north.
With Travis Head?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Well right now in 2022 Rankine's year has been a lot better than Cerra who has been pretty average for Carlton so if the upsized of Rankine is much higher he is already outperforming him.
No it hasn't. Rankine is back to 8 possession weeks.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
There has been sporadic rumours on our board re: Thomas as well, although not connected with rankine.
There could literally be all sorts of possibilities floated. We tend to focus on pick 4 and rankine, but if GC are after a quality player who might be good to head there, 3 club trades are a distinct possibility.

I have no idea what worth north would put on thomas as he was a high pick but has come under fire for attitude this year?..interesting times ahead

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If next year Darcy fogarty is being offered 450k by Adelaide and 700k by north Melbourne to extend beyond next year you’d be happy to accept a pick in the late 20s?
If he continues to improve like he has, I doubt he only gets offered that.

However, we offered Charlie Cameron about 450k from what I have heard, and he got offered 700k at Brisbane, so yes, between pick 12 and 18 was the right value.

Mitch McGovern was being offered about 500-600k at the Crows, abut Carlton took that to $700+, and yes, I was happy with what was pick 13.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he continues to improve like he has, I doubt he only gets offered that.

However, we offered Charlie Cameron about 450k from what I have heard, and he got offered 700k at Brisbane, so yes, between pick 12 and 18 was the right value.

Mitch McGovern was being offered about 500-600k at the Crows, abut Carlton took that to $700+, and yes, I was happy with what was pick 13.
for a CONTRACTED McGovern remember

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, Rankine for Pick 4, Matt Crouch and we will take back Rory Atkins off your hands.

Back